Thursday, December 1, 2016

The Brave Or The Bold: Hark The Heralds!


Martinex1:  I have to admit that the Silver Surfer is not on my list of favorite Marvel characters.   While I've read the initial appearance of Galactus in Fantastic Four numerous times, and I enjoyed Norrin Radd's appearance as a threat when he first arrived under Jack Kirby's pencils, I just never bought into the character long term.  The John Buscema art for the character's first series was stellar and the second issue's battle against the Badoon is one of my most cherished books, but the character just never seemed fully realized as a hero in my eyes.   Despite his great power he seemed to have little humility around his responsibility; the Surfer constantly whined about Shalla Bal or about being stuck on Earth or about mankind's pettiness.  Galactus deserved better!


And so this episode of "The Brave Or The Bold" focuses on all of the heralds of Galactus.  Who do you think was the most spectacular?  (It's okay to disagree with me about the Silver Surfer).   Did you like Gabriel the Air Walker?  Or his successor and friend, Firelord?  How about Terrax the Tamer?  Or Frankie Raye as the new Nova?  Note: You can include some of the later heralds as well if you wish; I am keeping this conversation to the Bronze Age characters as I really know nothing about Galactus' modern messengers and scouts.  


If I had to rank these characters, I may surprise you in my assessment - but here it goes:


1) Gabriel, The Air Walker.  I always thought that his appearance was spectacularly original with his tunic and his wings of fire.  I liked how he moved through the air - literally walking along the sky.  I also thought his short career and tragic demise at the hands of  the Ovoids was interesting.  From Xandarian captain, to a true friend to Galactus, to an android vessel  - I lost no enthusiasm for him along the way.
2) Firelord.  Likewise I enjoyed Gabriel's comrade and admirer Pyreus Kril, Firelord.  I liked how he followed in Gabriel's footsteps, searching for vengeance and trying to honor his memory.   More "hot headed" than the kind Air Walker, Firelord set a new tone and attitude amongst the early heralds.  The stories in Thor's title also added some new dimensions to this character
3) Terrax. This herald was truly evil and the choice by Galactus reflected the devourer's distant and amoral nature.  The big purple-suited wanderer just needed to eat, and he employed Terrax in finding some new treats.   Terrax was the opposite of Norrin Radd and had none of the military honor of the other two predecessors.  He was a thug and bully and he brought a whole new dimension to the role.  Also his powers were different than the previous role holders as he took the Power Cosmic in a new direction.
4) Nova/Frankie Raye.  I was shocked as a young reader when Frankie took on the duty of herald.  I had such  high hope that she would join the FF.  Poor Johnny Storm - he sure has some troubled relationships.  But I found it interesting that she had no qualms about what she was going to have to do; it was fascinating to see her lust for exploration outweigh her care for the victims.   John Byrne created an interesting conflict between perceived nobility and cruelty.
5) Silver Surfer.  He was the first.  And perhaps you think he was the best.


I am sure my ranking will rub some the wrong way; my predilection is due to when I discovered these characters and how I came to know their stories.  My fondness for each reflects the curve of my collecting.


What do you say about these characters?  Who had the best powers?  Who was visually most striking?  Who captured your imagination and had you coming back for more?   Were they better antagonists to the Fantastic Four or to Thor?  And how about Galactus himself, is he better because of the heralds?  Are the characters' motivations broad enough to keep you interested and are they complex enough to be "A" players?  Share your thoughts and speak your mind - it is always good to hear your messages!








  





12 comments:

Edo Bosnar said...

As characters, I like Silver Surfer the best; I've enjoyed many stories in which he is either the main or sole character or appears as a guest. After him, I'd rank Gabriel second, primarily for sentimental reasons, because I read the FF story in which he first appeared as a reprint in one of the few (8 or so) treasury editions I recall having, and I just found him a striking character. Then Terrax, the wonderfully evil SOB, Nova and Firelord (just haven't read enough stories with him; to me he's just a generic powerful fire-wielder who's only interesting as an adversary for various heroes).

However, looking at it from Galactus' point of view, i.e., who does the job best, then the rankings are:
1. Nova - she seems to have grown into the role and actually has affection for Galactus, so her loyalty is unquestioned.
2. Terrax - as you noted, he's a completely amoral, vile b*****d, with no qualms about sewing destruction. The only thing that keeps him from being no. 1 is that he rebelled against the big guy.
3. Firelord - like I said, not as familiar with him, but he seems like Terrax-lite.
4. Gabriel (the android) - using an AI construct for the job seems like a good idea, but he got destroyed, so back to the drawing board, I guess.
5. Silver Surfer - doesn't really need explanation. He seriously and most flagrantly breached the core terms of his employment contract.

Anonymous said...

Definitely Terrax but I've got to mention two other heralds - Aunt May ("The Golden Oldie") and Dazzler. OK, The Golden Oldie only existed in a dream and Dazzler's stint as herald occurred in "What If Dazzler Had Become The Herald Of Galactus" but both Aunt May and Dazzler were heralds...sort of :D

Martinex1 said...

Terrax is an interesting character. He is so nasty and is such the opposite of the Surfer but did his job fairly well.

My problem with the Surfer may actually be his mediocre villains. Okay he has Mephisto - but there really aren't that many stories with him - and from that point there is a significant drop off in the villainy and threat level. In his original book he fought the likes of pirates, doomsday robots,and Dr. Frankenstein. So in my mind they spent too much time on him pontificating or whining. If he had villains like Thanos or Korvac or the Celestials - I might have a better opinion of him.

Also, did it ever strike anybody odd that he is a Surfer? It is both cool (because surfing is cool), but also odd and weirdly out of place for a cosmic entity. So Galactus just thought to himself "I'm going to give my herald a gnarly board. Hang ten dude and find me some munchies!" The juxtaposition of universe traveler and surfing is both extremely creative and flawed. Did Kirby ideate that or Stan?

Anonymous said...

Hey, you forgot about Morg! Why do homicidal maniacs never get a break?

I'd say Firelord is my favourite of the bunch, although he got way more interesting after he stopped working for Galactus. I guess Frankie Raye was OK, but it sometimes seemed like she mostly functioned as a plot device; first for Johnny Storm (I think they made her a Herald because they didn't know what else to do with her), and later for Silver Surfer before she was killed by the aforementioned Morg.

Terrax was a pretty good Herald, though a complete maniac. I always found Surfer a bit too grandiloquent, especially when Stan wrote him. Air-Walker was just boring; he was basically a MacGuffin for Firelord.

Mike Wilson

Unknown said...

Terrax for me. I was actually concerned for our heroes when he showed up, just plain nasty. The story arc of him running from Galactus was great. Silver Surfer never seemed like a hero. I like my heroes Earth based!
I think it was Kirby trying to relate to 60's pop culture, Beach Boys and Jan and Dean surf hits were on the radio constantly.

Redartz said...

From my point of view, the Surfer wins. Love his appearance, and his idealism (if not his obsessive soul-searching; he and Peter Parker could go to counseling together).
Next would be Nova, Gabriel, Terrax and Firelord. Like others today, I haven't read much about him- perhaps Firelord needed a PR Man.

From Galactus' point of view, I think Edo pretty well nailed it.

Martinex1- yes, the Surfer always did seem an odd juxtaposition of elements. Very cool, but why a surfer? Maybe they have sweet waves on Zenn-La.
As for your question- pretty sure the Surfer was Jack's doing. Seems I read of Stan saying he got the penciled pages from Jack and there was this surfer guy...

Martinex1 said...

Mike Wilson, I hate to say I have no idea who Morg is and I had no idea Frankie Raye is dead (although I'm sure she will be back). My collecting fell off significantly as I've mentioned after the five heralds listed. Perhaps there are even more beyond Morg... I am curious about that. And I do think Firelord had some interesting developments in Thor, Avengers and in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Red - it is interesting that Kirby created the Surfer as Stan has always had a strong afffinity for the character; for a long while only Stan wrote him.

William said...

I really liked Terrax. Mostly because of the John Byrne FF stories he appeared in. Especially the Byrne Galactus trilogy when Big T raised Manhattan into the air.

I also liked Firelord, but mainly because of his appearance in the DeFalco / Frenz Amazing Spider-Man story.

I was never the world's biggest Silver Surfer fan, but I like him as a supporting character.

I like the look of Air Walker, but I have never gotten around to reading any of the stories he appeared in.

Frankie Raye (Nova) was OK, but her sudden decision to become the herald of Galactus seemed to just come out of nowhere. I mean, did she realize that she was going to be personally responsible for multiple acts of genocide? She really should have thought that over a little more.

Anonymous said...

@Martinex 1: Morg appeared in the 1987 Silver Surfer series; I haven't actually read any of those (they're on my list!) but I remember seeing some stuff about Morg killing Nova (Frankie) because he wanted to be Galactus's Herald or something. But I guess everyone was killing everyone in 90s comics ... it was the style back then.

Mike Wilson

Anonymous said...

OK well, the Surfer has always been my favourite, although he does get mopy at times. I've mentioned this before back at the BAB, but somehow you'd think a being endowed with the Power Cosmic would get over being a sad sack. It's interesting the parallels between Norrin Radd and that other alien who came to Earth leaving behind their humanity and loved ones - Rom!

I have to agree with the choice of Terrax as a good herald for Galactus. Even though he's thoroughly ruthless, he was a good herald; Firelord is another of my favourites, being such a hotheaded (literally!) character. I have an issue of Bob Layton's Hercules miniseries which Frankie Raye appeared in, but otherwise I haven't read much more about her, so she's a little further down on my list. Gabriel? Hmm, can androids make good heralds?


- Mike 'until the Surfer switches to a boogie board' from Trinidad & Tobago.

Anonymous said...

Morg was just a meaner, uglier version of Terrax, which apparently was possible. Typical of Marvel Comics in the '90's, which seems to me much like a smoking crater.
I liked the Air Walker, and was surprised to find out he was a robot built to look like a dead guy. Kind of a tragic backstory.
M.P.

Rip Jagger said...

Here's my ranking:

5. Gabriel - Loved the creepy walking on air but his overall visual design was the weakest of any of them.

4. Frankie Raye - Fun character and her golden counterpoint to the Surfer is striking.

3. Terrax the Tamer - As people have said, he's a rough and tough S.O.B. and a great villain. A bit conventional.

2. Firelord - Great visuals and probably shouldn't be ranked this high but I loved the stories he and Thor shared with John Buscema drawing at the top of his game.

1. Silver Surfer - He's survived a host of variations. I first grokked him in his reflective Lee-Buscema mode, but have really cottoned to Kirby's original cold spaceman original. That implacable face reflects the person who looks into it, and that's darned scary.

Rip Off

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: