Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Pulled From the Pack: Wacky Packages!




Redartz: Today we introduce another category in our ever- increasing array of topics: "Pulled From the Pack", in which we will look at another fondly remembered  element of Bronze Age (and earlier, and later) childhood: trading cards! For the inaugural edition, we will yank the wrapper off of Wacky Packages- a very popular series of stickers (and cards) which featured parodies of well-known products. 

 
 
Wacky Packages were made by Topps, best known as a Premier manufacturer of baseball cards. "Wacky Packs" first appeared in the late 60's, and were revived to great reception in 1973. They were common trading fodder among kids throughout the 70's, and they have reappeared periodically ever since. And they may have a familiar style to comic fans: they artwork for the stickers was produced by some big names in alternative and popular comics: Jay Lynch, Tom Sutton, George Evans and Bill Griffith (who gave us Zippy). Indeed, while researching this topic, I was amazed to learn that the 'father' of Wacky Packages was none other than Art Spiegelman- the amazingly talented creator of the acclaimed graphic novel "Maus" (which may well be the subject of discussion some other day). 

I came to love "Wackys" in middle school. Among my frequent trips to the local drug store for Archie comics and baseball cards in the early 70's, I found these funny-looking packs of stickers for sale. Featuring some very familiar 'products' treated to a graphic version of the Dean Martin roast! They actually  had a slightly subversive feel (parents probably didn't find them so amusing) that really appealed to my pre-teen sense of humor. Therefore, my school notebook (and the closet door of my room) was soon adorned with "Crust Toothpaste", "Hostage Cup-cakes" and many other Wackys. And often, lunchtime at school would find a group of us trading stickers and snickering  over each one. Some of the parodies had great staying power in my memory: even today, at the supermarket, I can't see a bottle of Log Cabin pancake syrup without thinking of  "Log Cave-In". 

In 2008, Topps released a "Retro Set" of Wackys, representing some of the classic stickers from the 60's and 70's. In preparing for this post, I coughed up a few bucks on ebay, and got the whole set (all my original stickers being loooong gone). Best 7 dollars I've spent this week!

Obviously, we can't have a discussion about these stickers without looking at a few, so here we go:










 


As part of this retro set, several cards were included which depicted never-before used artwork. Here's a few of those:




 
So how many of you were captivated by these little 'provocateurs of Madison Avenue'?  And would you trade a "Liptorn Soup" for a "Swiss Mess" Cocoa?  I would...



12 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Edo Bosnar said...

Oh, wow, what a true blast from the past. I'd almost entirely forgotten about these but they were so popular among the kids at my school in the first and second grade (1974/75). I particularly remember "Crust Toothpaste," "Ditch Boy," "Neveready" and "STD" (the latter one is now funny for more than one reason). And you were right about most parents not finding them very amusing - or if they did, they didn't express their amusement in front of kids.
One I find really funny now is the "Hipton Tea Bags." Back when I was a kid, I would never have caught the layers of meaning in that one (i.e., "just what, exactly, is in those little baggies?" - again, I could see why parents wouldn't have been too pleased with these).

Anonymous said...

Wow! Like Edo, I had all but forgotten these but it's coming back to me now. Redartz, we seem to have followed a similar pattern as to how to squander the disposable income of our youth (youths?...utes?). Before I became a Marvel zuvembie, I was more likely to buy these or any manner of sports cards - baseball, football, even basketball instead of comics.

And some of the gags seem almost lame to me now but I can see where we would have thought we were really cutting edge BITBA.

Tom

Redartz said...

Edo- yes, the "STD" does have an added level of meaning now...
In youth, I didn't pick up on all the references either. Now, learning that the Wackys were produced by some big names in underground comix adds a little "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" to the jokes.

Tom- yes, we found all manner of temptations to throw our quarters at. More such will be coming, stay tuned!

Anonymous said...

I don't really remember these cards, but I seem to recall MAD and CRACKED magazines having similar inserts that you could cut out and paste over the real items.

Mike Wilson

Martinex1 said...

I too collected these as a youth.. baseball cards for sure but Wacky Packages definitely. My brother lined the boards on the bunk bed with some. The ones I remember were "Hostile Thinkies", the brain filled snack will blow your mind or "Rice a Phoni" or "Weakies" cereal.

Good times.

Unknown said...

My Trapper Keeping was covered with these! As was the inside of my Gun Smoke lunch box. Theres a spin off question: what lunch box did you all carry?

Anonymous said...

@Luther Manning: I had a Six Million Dollar Man lunchbox...I think I still have it somewhere.

Mike Wilson

Redartz said...

Luther and Mike W.- Mad Magazine, and lunchboxes, are both excellent potential topics! And my lunchbox was "Peanuts"...

Martinex1- your anecdote about your brother and the bunk bed struck home! My brother and I did the same. Mom wasn't happy; the stickers reeeeaallly stuck to furniture...

Unknown said...

Mike W. I wish I still had mine. My brother had the red six million dollar man box. It was the first plastic box I remember seeing. I later got a Hong Kong Phooey box. Nothing like a warm pbj crushed by a thermos of apple juice!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Awesome post! I am hopeful that a choice posting of Odd Rods is next! Thanks!

Redartz said...

Charlie Horse 47- thanks, and welcome! And "Odd Rods" is another fond memory, and a great suggestion. Watch this space...

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: