Friday, November 18, 2016

Off the Bookshelf: "Peanuts" paperbacks




Redartz:  Hello all, and pardon me while I dust off the bookshelf a bit. Doubtlessly everyone here is familiar with Charles Shulz' "Peanuts" newspaper comics. The strip was a daily highlight for countless millions of fans , over a span of decades. Some of us, however, missed out on that daily dose of Charlie Brown and Snoopy. Our local newspaper, for some reason, failed to carry "Peanuts". So, what to do, sit back and wait for the next holiday tv special?

 Why, no need to worry. All I had to do was head for the local drug store. There (conveniently located near the comic spinner rack) was a rack of paperbacks. Among said paperbacks  were usually found Fawcett Books' collections of "Peanuts" comic strips. Those most commonly found contained the collected strips from half of a year ( at the bookstore downtown, though, one could find the larger volumes reprinting an entire years' worth of comics).



Notice the fifty cent price tag on these books. About the price of two comic books at the time, which made for a challenge at the checkout. Of course, the larger books had a bigger price: a whopping dollar and a quarter, in the mid 70's! Certainly a bargain; you got a lot of Lucy and Linus, plenty of Patty, and volumes of Violet. And there was the benefit of seeing all the strips presented in original order, so if you missed a day here and there in your paper, you could still catch the entire story run (frequently Schulz would follow a theme over days, even a week or more).





























By the time I was in high school and working part-time, I could better afford the bigger collections. The editions published in the latter 70's and into the 80's were presented in a larger format, so the daily strips were correspondingly bigger, as well. The old editions, reprinting some of the strips' early years, still have a classic, appealing simplicity of design, and an attractive matte finish cover (such as "Good Ol' Charlie Brown" and "You'll Flip, Charlie Brown", both shown above).




 





 Fawcett books also offered adaptations of the tv specials and movies- a real treat in those days when no dvd's or videotapes existed. You can tell from the scans, these copies have been pretty heavily read. Incidentally, if you haven't seen it, "Snoopy Come Home" could bring a lump to the throat; just a warning...

 


Over the years I accumulated quite a pile of these paperbacks, while developing a great love for Charles Schulz' creations. Those books accompanied me to summer camp and kept me occupied on family car trips. Like comic books, these paperbacks were frequently found at grocery stores and gift shops, so they made great "keep em busy" purchases for parents. Plus, they were usually found at school! Such paperbacks were often among the selections in the Scholastic Book Club order forms. Which meant ,of course,some humor to go along with the usual dinosaur, baseball, and mystery selections. I particularly recall a "Peanuts Cookbook", which contained recipes named for (and presented by) the cast, such as "Lucy's Lemon Squares". Wish I still had that one...

Many of those paperbacks  found their way into the possession of my sons (and grandkids), over the ensuing years. They found enjoyment in them as well, proving once again that Charlie Brown and his friends remain universally loved. Somewhere, Charles Schulz is smiling...



14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I mainly know Charlie Brown from the TV specials which were shown very infrequently on British TV - so no annual repeat of the 1965 Christmas classic. A few days before Halloween I watched, via YouTube, the 1966 Halloween special - the one about the Great Pumpkin which I hadn't seen in maybe 30 years or more. Then just a few days later I was in my local supermarket which has just been entirely re-arranged so the DVD section which was upstairs is now downstairs - and as I was passing the DVD's I noticed "The Peanuts Movie" which came out late last year. I rarely watch DVD's nowadays but I was curious about the Peanuts movie so I bought it - I haven't watched it yet as I'm waiting till closer to Christmas.













david_b said...

As most were during that genre, I was hungry for anything Peanuts. I do still have my Peanuts Cookbook in my stash somewhere. I typically bought the new ones with the color pics when they'd come out in the early '70s. Mad, James Blish Trek paperpacks and Peanuts. That pretty well summed it up.

I even have the Peanuts "drawing kit" which allowed you to make your own comic strips. Quite heavily used and still with me. I'm always looking for late 60s/early 70s vintage collectables, but they can go for quite a penny these days at estate sales.

Anonymous said...

Great topic Redartz. I have very fond memories of Peanuts paperbacks. As a young kid in the 60s , I inherited many of those books from older sisters and proceeded to buy many myself. In fact, those first three pictured look very familiar. I think I may still have them buried in a closet somewhere.

I also bought other comic strip paperbacks. Most notably, I had a buddy who really got me hooked on B.C. for a while.

And always loved the "baseball loser" themed strips. That picture of the ball being blasted back up the middle and knocking poor Charlie's clothes off always cracked me up.

Tom

Martinex1 said...

This really must have been fror our generation, because I had a bunch of those pictured as well along with BC and Wizard of Id. I too liked the baseball antics. And I always chuckled over Lucy's psychiatric counseling. Pigpen, Linus, and Peppermint Patty were favorites.

Anonymous said...

I was a big fan of the Peanuts paperbacks, especially the ones reprinting strips from the late Fifties/early Sixties when the characters had a slicker look. It was similar to reading reprints of Golden Age comic books and seeing how art and story styles had evolved over time. The BC books reprinting Johnny Hart's strip were also a favorite.

The Prowler said...

I LOVED PEANUTES PAPERBACKS!!! First discovered them in the book department in SEARS. August meant "running into town" to get school clothes. Once Mom was done with me, I was free to roam. Down to the basement for pistachios, then up to the second level for books. Then was the internal struggle between how much pistachios to buy, they sold them by weight, or how many Peanuts books to buy. I don't know when it happened but I remember the flip book!!! Two Peanuts books BACK TO BACK!!! What a country!!! Some of my favorite Peanuts memories: Linus being too young to go outside and play so he would watch through the mail slot, Charlie Brown in a swing asking Lucy for a push so she pushes him out of the swing, Linus standing for the first time and Lucy gives him a cookie as a reward and he falls over, Linus making his own lunch of pancakes and the syrup drips out at the bus stop..... I could go on forever!!!

As I've said before, in another time and another place, Peanuts were my primer. It's where I learned to read sequential art!

(I see these women at the car wash; women at the mall
Little-bitty women, and women who are tall
One of them is perfect and I want her for myself
And I'm never gonna settle for anybody else
All my good buddies try to fix me up-
Buddy, I've had enough

I'm gonna run a few red lights; grind a few gears
Start a few fist fights; drink a few beers
Even though I'm tryin' every trick in the book
You give me drop dead (drop dead), drop dead looks
You are the finest women that I've ever seen
Why you wanna be so mean?

Well, everybody tries to tell me
There's nothin' I can do
But I'm a man with a mission
Baby, you know it's you

Well, I'm a man with a mission
Man with a mission
Man with a mission
Baby, you know it's you- it's you

Everybody running round here
Saying, "Where's the party? Where's the party?"
Sonny boy, don't ask me, 'cause I don't know
I got somethin' else on my mind today-
Somewhere else to go

Well-a, well-a, well-a everybody tries to tell me
There's nothin' I can do
But I'm a man on a mission
Baby you know it's you).

PS: This post sponsored in part by all the hard working robots at the Alpo Process and Packing Plant where the freshness in sealed in!

Anonymous said...

I still have a couple of Peanuts paperbacks: We Love You, Snoopy and You're Our Kind of Dog, Snoopy. (in case you couldn't tell, Snoopy was my favourite character)

I also have a couple of larger (but much thinner) colour books; one where Charlie Brown enters a motocross and another where he's in a decathlon. A couple of these are missing their covers, but I still read them every now and then.

Mike Wilson

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Greetings! I devoured these in the 60s usually buying them at our grade school's annual book fair. Then I discovered Andy Capp paper backs, definitely not for sale at book fairs, lol. Both are easy and inexpensive on eBay. Cheers!

Redartz said...

Thanks for stopping by with the great comments, all!

Colin J- thanks for mentioning the Peanuts movie. I haven't seen it yet either, but plan to do so. Might be a follow up post there; I look forward to hearing your impression of it...

David_d- Peanuts drawing kit? Very cool indeed, so nice to be able to hang on to a few of such youthful treasures. Never knew that existed...

Tom, Martinex and Anon- those paperback reprints of other strips are another highlight of the day. Never had BC, but did get Pogo, and Dennis the Menace...

Dr. O said...

I had a bunch of these I inherited from my older siblings, and I remember being really proud of myself as they felt like real "adult" books because of the format, as opposed to the picture books I was reading at the same time. I know it doesn't really make sense since they were still comics, but they were over a hundred pages long! That was a lot when you're 6 or 7!

I wish I still had them. I have been meaning to get the Fantagraphics collections of the first decade or so of Peanuts. It was just so good.

Edo Bosnar said...

I recall reading a bunch of these. Like Osvaldo, I inherited a few from my older siblings (as I also later inherited a small stack of the Doonesbury paperback reprints from my older brother specifically), and the libraries in both my elementary and high school had a bunch of these. And again, like Osvaldo, I found the earliest ones, from the 1950s I'm guessing, by far the best.

Dr. O said...

Edo stop biting my style. ;)

Edo Bosnar said...

Well, Osvaldo, I think you're biting *my* style. After all, I'm a few years older than you... :P

B Smith said...

One thing I always found confusing/frustrating with those paperback editions was that you'd open it up to find on the reverse of the title page "This volume contains selections from "(Fill In The blank)"....huh? You mean this book only had half the strips it could have? Or was it half old selections/half new? If I had the whole catalogue would I find that half of it was redundant on account of strips from one volume being repeated in another?

I never did get to the bottom of it, but collecting the Fantagraphics volumes kind of rendered the whole exercise academic anyway.

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: