Saturday, December 24, 2016

This & That: Traditions, Traditions...





Redartz:  Here it is, Christmas Eve. And whether you are celebrating Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, or the advent of Winter, you are probably engaging in those time-honored routines we call traditions. From decorating your home to attending a religious service; from enjoying some favored holiday delicacy to honoring loved ones with gifts, traditions are a huge part of our holiday observance. And here at BitBA, we're no different. And so, before all the guests arrive, we're inviting you all in to share a few of our traditions.

At our house, the decorations go up Thanksgiving weekend. Setting up the Christmas tree is the biggest job, as we've accumulated a bunch of ornaments through the years. One little tradition I've added is that of making an ornament each year. We still buy some, especially the collectible ones- Batman , the Muppets and Spider-Man have prominent spots on the tree). Yet the effort in creating that ornament is well worth it; making the tree a bit more unique and personal.


Speaking of personal, I also design a greeting card each year (and my wife usually has to remind me that time is running out). Meanwhile, the cookies she makes are cooling on the counter; of course I have to sample a few to keep my creative energies up. She lets me help decorate them, but the baking is off limits to me- I'm no help there, anyway. 

We always try to catch a variety of holiday movies each season, and the animated specials as well. YouTube has enabled us to go back and rewatch some long-ago treats. This year we saw a John Denver special from 1975 (with a young Steve Martin), and a Judy Garland show from 1963. Lots of fun, and also a kick seeing the original commercials included (remember "Clink"- Andre' for the Holidays", and the Norelco  shaver with Santa on board). 

And, of course, I also try to read a few Christmas themed comics. A good way to wind down after a long day of work followed by a long evening of holiday shopping...

Martinex1:  Much like you, Redartz, our family starts to decorate Thanksgiving weekend but items gradually roll out as the days progress.   Wrapped gifts start to appear on the fireplace mantle with the pile gradually growing as Christmas approaches.  We have a couple of artificial trees that we rotate from year to year.  My favorite is the completely modern silver metallic tree that spins.  It reminds me of the one my parents put up for us back in the 70s.   My wife is much more traditional when it comes to trees so we get a good laugh out of it; this year we have the green tree up. 

My youngest still looks for the Elf on the Shelf each morning, so there are quite a few creative challenges each year. My favorite was when Elfie ate the dog biscuits and left a note that Santa would not be pleased with our choice of cookies, or perhaps when Elfie added mustaches to the boys' school photos.



We light some bushes outside our door in red, green, and white.  But every year the rabbits chew through the wires so we have intermittent strands.   It has become a bit of a tradition to see which shrubs stay lit. 

With the boys we watch Christmas movies of all kinds, but lately we seem to catch Elf, The Santa Clause, and Home Alone more frequently.

Christmas Eve is typically a big day.   Our family always goes to an animated movie in the theater; this year we most likely will see Sing.  Then it is off to church for the evening candlelight service and back home for a nice dinner (usually a combination of pasta and ham and a special sausage soup). While we are out Santa comes for the boys and leaves behind the special gifts (and perhaps a small lump of coal).

Christmas Day is more low key and relaxing.   But festivities really last all the way through New Year with visits from the Grandparents and board game playing.  Cheers and Merry Christmas!

Thanks for stopping by today! Feel free to share some of your holiday traditions and diversions. We still have a few gifts to wrap, so we better get  busy. Wherever you are, and whatever your beliefs, may you have all the peace and happiness the season can provide!



7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Martinex1 said...

Merry Christmas Colin! Cheers!

Anonymous said...

It's just me and my dad and we stopped decorating years ago; no big meal either, as we'd end up eating leftovers for weeks! This year one of my cousins is having a party and we're going to that. No cooking and no washing dishes? Sign me up!

Anyway, Merry Xmas (or Happy Holidays, or whatever you prefer) to everybody.

Mike Wilson

Redartz said...

Merry Christmas Colin, Marti, Mike and everyone!

Redartz, taking a break at the mall while my wife shops...

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, (or whatever your deal is) to all!
Or, if you lean towards the pagan side, this might be a good time to celebrate the Wild Hunt, when Odin would ride through the dark skies of Midgard on his eight-legged horse, Sleipnir, keeping his single eye on mischievous mortals. He carried no toys, but only stern judgement and wrath.
Nobody you'd wanna see sliding down your chimney, probably, but it wouldn't have been a bad idea to leave a chop of mutton and a tankard of ale sitting out. Odin was not a milk and cookies type of guy.
Now that I think about it, when I was little and Santa visited our house, we left milk and cookies out, but if our Santa was who I really suspected he was, we should have put out a six-pack and maybe some smokes.
Happy holidays all!

M.P.

ColinBray said...

Well it's Christmas Day right now for me, so in traditional British style I'm about to go for a lunchtime pub drink with my father. Wishing it could be snowing but it's super warm today. Happy Christmas everybody!

Anonymous said...

Merry Christmas Eve guys!

Hmm as for traditions, years ago my family (or more accurately, me!) used to decorate our mango tree with those Christmas lights with night light-sized bulbs. Over time, the tree has grown quite a bit, so we don't decorate it anymore. This year I bought LED Christmas lights and hung them over our gallery.

Of course, the food is what I look forward to at this time of the year; not a fan of turkey, but I love ham; I think last year I overdosed on ham sandwiches! Also, sorrel drinks are popular down here too. The local radio stations start playing parang music (a form of traditional Christmas music with Spanish roots) from October, so you know Christmas is coming.

Of course, Christmas shopping is also big this time of the year. I love to go to the malls to see the various Christmas-themed decorations, and then buy gifts for my co-workers and family members.

= Mike 'bring out the stomach pump' from Trinidad & Tobago.

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: