Saturday, February 3, 2018

All in the Game: The Milton Bradley Company!

Martinex1: Milton Bradley, the man, was born in 1836 and died in 1911.   He was an entrepreneur and very inventive game designer.  His claim to fame during his life was the creation of the Checkered Game of Life in 1860.  It was precursor to the Game of Life which came 100 years later in 1960 and featured some of the quirky things that many of us remember from our childhood: a clicking spinner, little plastic cars, pink and blue pegs representing people and a winding path through life's big events.   In between, the Milton Bradley Company was formed and was led by a myriad of presidents over the decades.   It had its ups and downs, nearly going bankrupt during the lean depression era and rebounding significantly in the late 1950s and 1960s with the advent of television and the licensing of such characters.   For me, the below symbol was almost as significant as the Marvel and DC logos.
So many childhood hours were spent playing the games from a battered stack of boxes hidden in a basement closet.   Every rainy day, every cold winter night, inside with the siblings, outside on the porch - we played board games with an enthusiasm that I can barely understand today.   From the early kindergarten days of  Chutes and Ladders or Candy Land, to much more strategic play, Milton Bradley seemed to be omnipresent.

Stratego was a grade school favorite with the Spy and Bombs always carefully planted.   Do you remember these boxes?  I sure do.   I still play this with my boys; the game now has better graphics on the pieces but it is exactly the same - simple and fun.

Easy Money was a Monopoly (Parker Brothers) knockoff, but I enjoyed the variation.  And around the 7th Grade this became a frequently played game.
How about these games that had aspects of board games, but took it to another level of skill, steadiness and cunning?

Twister of course had to be very profitable, didn't it?  It was just a sheet of plastic!  I had the children's animal version as well.
Ice Cube?  This was a close friend's favorite but I remember very little.

Battleship got a lot of use at my house.   Pulling all of those pegs out after a game, however, is no fun.  Even to this day,  I dislike resetting after a game of Battleship.

Hangman seems to have similar stylings, but I've honestly never played this version. 

How about these?   Even the classics made a comeback in the Bronze Age with Checkers and Parcheesi.


I wish I had Supercar, but alas it was not to be.

For all of us that are nostalgic for the Bronze Age (all of us... right?), there were these fantastic games.













And for the comic book lovers and super-hero fans, Milton Bradley had quite a share of licensed characters starring in games of all sorts. From card games with some cool art to board games with super stars, Milton Bradley had it all.  And they seemed to roll out new games constantly!




Spider-Man had a board game that I always wanted.   I loved the cover with Thor, Subby, the Hulk, and Iron Man lining up to have a shot.

Captain America had two games over the years.  On the first and original, the good Captain featured the Mandarin and the Destoyer on the game board; that seemed pretty odd.  In the second, the Falcon and the Avengers made appearances.



And there were many more featuring Marvel and DC characters.





Milton Bradley had many games that I did not know even existed.  There are dozens of them that I never came across, but through the wonder of the world wide web I can explore like a ten year old drooling over the department store catalog toy section.



So which games did you enjoy from the Milton Bradley family?  Did these photos bring back memories from neighborhood tournaments?  Or were you game averse and had other interests?  Pull up a chair and share your thoughts.  At the very least, please pipe in if you ever played Starsky and Hutch!  Cheers!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only recognize Operation, Twister and Hangman (I can't remember how to play Hangman but I certainly remember Vincent Price on the TV ads for the game). But there's no mention of my favourite MB game - Connect 4. A blue plastic grid thingy into which two players dropped red and yellow discs - whoever was first to get four discs in a row was the winner. I loved that game!

Anonymous said...

Oops, I remember Battleship too :

Martinex1 said...

Connect 4 was one of my brothers favorite games as well. We played that constantly. There was a commercial for it that we used to mimic “Sorry sis. Four diagonally!”

There was another game I loved with marbles on a grid, and you would pull orange and white levers to make the opponent’s marbles fall through holes. I just for the life of me cannot remember it’s name.

I should have also mentioned the childrens’ games from Milton Bradley like Cooties and Ants in the Pants!

Anonymous said...

Marti, are you thinking of Ker-Plunk ? It's the only game involving marbles that comes to mind. Perhaps Ker-Plunk is the British name and you know it by another name (you mentioned Chutes & Ladders - we say Snakes & Ladders).

Martinex1 said...

Not Ker-Plunk though that is a great game too. I just remembered what it was called - it is “Stay Alive”. I don’t know if they make it anymore but it was fun.

Another mystery... and I’m not sure if it was a Milton Bradley game.. but I remember a game with marbles hidden in plastic walnut shells. I have no idea what that was. I guess I’ve started the “Forgotten Game Game”

Redartz said...

Man, Marti. You brought it all flooding back!

We had several of those. I recall one called:Othello", sort of like Connect Four only horizontal . And many of the vintage games that come to mind, I don't recall the specific manufacturer . For instance, anyone remember "Booby Trap"? A bunch of colored checkers in a spring-loaded rack. Ideal Toys, maybe? Anyway I also had "Concentration" and "Jeopardy" based on the game shows. Seems like they were MB games. Both games were fun, but a big hassle to set up (especially Jeopardy - arranging all the answer tiles and the number tiles)...

Martinex1 said...

Othello was fun. It had two-sided black and white pieces, and if you surrounded the path you could flip the color to your own.

Most of the game show games were Milton Bradley. They worked out many licensing agreements that really kept them viable. Parker Brothers was more "classic" if you will with Monopoly, Risk, Clue, etc. We may have to cover Ideal here at the blog someday; Ideal focused on the "contraption" and "interaction" games like Mousetrap, Fishbait, Toss Across, and Ker-Plunk.

Mike Wilson said...

Wow, I didn't know there were so many superhero board games ... cool! I don't remember the Starsky & Hutch or Emergency games either, but I would've loved those as a kid, since I watched the shows.

I do have the Game of Life and I've played a few of the others. I never played Scotland Yard, but I remember the ads for it and always thought it looked interesting.

I got one of those Combination Games things for Xmas once, but it didn't have any instructions, so I had all these boards and pieces and no clue how to play any of the games!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Cool Beans Marti! I guess my life in gaming has had "phases."

In Jr. High there were the Monopoly and Life games with buddies.

In High School we changed to Poker and Avalon's War Games (e.g. Battle of the Bulge)

In college it was Poker, Risk, and war games from the monthly magazine "Strategy and Tactics" like Operation Cobra and Waterloo.

Jump forward 20 years and it was Connect 4, Battleship, Othello, and Uno with wife and kids.

Jump forward 10 years and Charlie is looking for someone to play an occasional war game with the board and counters and dice, lol!

Martinex1 said...

Thanks for commenting guys. I cannot believe how many games MB had. There are whole sites out there depicting dozens of games that don’t overlap at all with the ones I’ve shown. Milton Bradley was turning out games faster than anybody. The company was bought by Hasbro in the mid 80s if you were wondering and it lost some of its speciality in my opinion.

As far as superhero games go - there was also Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four, teaming them up in a way that didn’t happen in comics for quite some time.

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: