Saturday, February 10, 2018

Adventures in Comics: Favorite Finds!




Redartz:  Collecting comics (or most anything, really) can be a laborious process for some. You have titles you favor, characters or artists you pursue. You probably have used a 'want list', you may have had a 'pull list' at a comic shop. Perhaps you hunted for years, searching for a particular issue before finally acquiring it with a well-deserved air of triumph! You gotta love filling those holes in your collection, and adding a long-sought treasure to your pile. 

However, there is also a wonderful element of surprise inherent in collecting. Have you ever hit a convention, flea market, or shop, and found something unexpected? Some item you just stumbled upon, but knew you'd have to have it. Maybe it was something that reminded you of childhood. Maybe it was a colossal key issue at a bargain-basement price. Perhaps it was something you didn't even know existed until you came across it on that momentous day. These are the stories we will be sharing today: your favorite lucky finds.

To prime the pump, here's  four favorite finds of mine :



Some of you may recall my fondness for Sheldon Mayer's classic kid series "Sugar and Spike". The book disappeared from the stands in 1971, and individual copies are fairly scarce, in any condition. One one fine Sunday morning several years ago, I was indulging in another favorite hobby: flea marketing. I hadn't found much this particular morning, and was heading down the back of the lot (this being an outdoor flea market). Browsing over one booth along the back row, among a myriad of miscellany, I spotted a dusty plastic bag with the telltale edges of some comic books sticking out. Inside were about a dozen old books, mostly in lower grade: an old Wonder Woman, a Patsy Walker, even a vintage Batman . But what really floored me was a pretty nice copy of Sugar and Spike 20 (all of the books dated from about 1958). Asking the proprietor of the booth for a price (no tag was visible), I was told the bag could be mine for a whopping 8 dollars! Less than a dollar each! Needless to say, that dingy bag and its contents found a home that day, and the Sugar and Spike remains a prized possession.






 
At another flea market, more recently, another treat awaited discovery. This particular market was quite large, and many booths offered comics (and often priced for collectors). I generally look for mixed  dollar boxes and lots, rather than buying from a dealer charging Guide prices. Fortunately there were many such booths as well. One of them had an interesting box of Silver and Bronze age books for 1 or 2 dollars each. Many were in pretty rough shape, but I selected several. The favorite find in this case was a Gold Key Giant comic of Uncle Scrooge, reprinting the Barks classic "Back to the Klondike". Definitely a reader copy- there was significant spine roll and a couple bits missing from the cover, but I'd wanted to read that story for a long time. Now I had the chance.










 

Find number three wasn't actually a comic, but was comic-related (and forgive me if I've related this tale before). Yes, at another flea market, I found a complete (albeit unassembled) 1974 Aurora Spider-Man model kit. It even contained the Romita comic book inside accompanying the

instructions. It was a kick to put it together, and it holds an honored place on the shelf (next to my wife's Elvis figure).








 


My final find was found at, you guessed it, a flea market (are you starting to see why I love to go to these sales?). I do, incidentally, look for other things besides comics. Among them cd's and DVD's. At this market, one  booth had a table full of DVDs, too many to really look through completely. But I pored through a few dozen, and to my amazement, found a movie I'd wanted for decades: "Murder By Death". I'd seen the film at the theater back in the 70''s and remembered it fondly. But it is somewhat obscure, and I never expected to find a copy on disc. Nevertheless, there it was, and only a dollar! And that evening, my patient wife was kind enough to sit through it with me- actually, she rather enjoyed it too: great cast and a great comedy.





Well, there you have my favorite finds- not necessarily Big Ticket Items, but treasures to me. What surprises have you encountered in your collecting pursuits? Don't keep us in suspense, give us all the details. Everyone likes a story with a happy ending...


14 comments:

Rip Jagger said...

I have finished with back issues for the most part. I concentrate on moving them out the door and not in, but in that quest I am an imperfect vessel. I get into real moods and will on a whim start on some genre or character and get swept away, sometimes resulting in my picking up stuff I might have once upon a time not gone for. One such case was many years ago when I got on a Rocket Man kick, no doubt prompted by a new edition of Dave Stevens great Rocketeer version of the classic character. I love the vintage Rocket Man serials, and wanted to see them all. That meant ordering dvds from Amazon and I was off and running. As I researched the character I learned that Innovation, a comic book company which I never collected had once upon a time done a limited with the actual Rocket Man character. I despaired finding these back issues from the early 90's as they would be pretty obscure, but off I went and by the time I'd visited three locations and spent a few hours I had found them all much to my surprise. It was really amazing that no two locations had the same issues and it took visits to all three to find the four installments. That I got them all in a single afternoon was highly unusual. In the case of Charlton's Son of Vulcan series, it took me nearly twenty years to assemble that set.

Rip Off

Charlie Horse 47 said...

This is a fun topic!

I've had a few whimsical finds through the years.

Around 1975 at a flea market in Gary, Indiana, a box of Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies (Bugs, Porky, et al.) from 1948 - 1952. Many were in fine condition but they all stunk of oldy/moldy comics. I still have several. They were going for like $.10 each (cover price).

Around 1995 at a comic book show in Lemont, Illinois, this dealer had unusual pricing. SO, I was able to pick up several Adventure Comics featuring the early Legion for $1 each. What an enjoyable few months reading those. I also got a Fine + issue of "Hangman" (the superhero) from the Golden Age by Everett. He just had weird pricing... I even asked him if he was cool (I don't want to take advantage of a mistake or something) with the price and he gave me the thumbs up!

Then just a few months ago the local library was having its annual book sale to raise money. I purchased maybe a half dozen early Bronze FF, Iron Man, and Legion stories for the "paperback" price of $.50, I think. The octogenarian librarian actually stated aloud, "Finally! Get those things out of here!" What a hoot!

It's funny... I really love hearing about peoples "finds." I still peruse Coin Collectors magazine at the library just to read the letters folks submit about their coin finds in circulating currency or via searching through rolls of coins they get at the bank. Just the treasure hunter / collector in me I guess.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Oh! Perhaps my most nostalgic find was at a store in Brookfield, Illinois that sold die cast cars. I took the kids in their on a Saturday afternoon around the year 2002. The guy had a spinner rack full of Archies from the the early 1970s at basically 5 for $1 as I recall.

Lordy... the only thing missing was packages of Odd Rods and Baseball Cards and a bunch of penny candy!!!

I also sort of regret not buying the spinner rack as I am sure the shop owner did not care two bits about the comics or the spinner. I did leave several comics to "share the joy" should someone else stumble into this throwback in time.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Red - I really dig that Spidey model. I sure do recall the ads for it. You had to paint the whole thing b/c o/wise it was all red plastic per your picture? Looks like you did a great job!

Martinex1 said...

CH 47 makes a great point partner - that paint job is awesome. Did you actually have to paint the webbing on Spidey? My hands are nowhere near that steady.

My great find as a kid was coming across a spinner rack in a campground store that had comics about a year behind the current releases. This was in my early collecting days as a youth and I filled in some gaps and was excited to do so. Avengers 160 was in that spinner and it was like gold to me.

I also picked up a hardcover Marvel Origins book at a library sale - that was unexpected.

And a great surprise was finding a Pat Broderick Micronauts page of original art in a stack of cheap posters and other junk. It was from The Micronauts IDW run but it still was pretty darn cool.

Martinex1 said...

And Rip, I had no idea Innovation did a Rocket Man comic. Now I may have to look that up too.

Innovation actually turned out some nice comics in their short life. Hey Red - we may have to blog about them sometime. I of course liked their Maze Agency and Lost in Space. Those were kind of finds in and of themselves. I stumbled into a comic shop in Chicago Ridge, IL and they were much more friendly to the independents and displayed them up front. That is when I took a chance on some of those books and was glad I did.

Edo Bosnar said...

Since I live in Zagreb now, you can imagine that I have a hard time coming across great surprise finds like these, esp. where comics are concerned. Mainly, when I do find cool stuff, it's usually books I've been looking for; the gift box at one of the local libraries has been a source of some great English-language genre-fiction paperbacks and HCs - I've found really good stuff by older greats like Fritz Leiber and Kurt Vonnegut, but also more recent writers like David Brin and John Scalzi there.
One little gem I snapped up a few years ago was a the Fokker D-LXIX Press paperback edition of Philip Jose Farmer's "A Feast Unknown" with cover and interior color-plate illustrations by Richard Corben. This is apparently pretty rare, only a few hundred copies were ever printed, and it's usually listed for $70/80 or more when you can find it online. I found it in a discount book box in a local comic book shop here for the equivalent of about $6. It also has Farmer's signature in it.
Also, recently I was in Oregon, visiting relatives; obviously, I picked up a bunch of cheap books, but one find that really made me happy was a first edition paperback copy of Mr. Da V, a collection of SF short stories by writer Kit Reed, that I've been wanting to get for years. Found it in a used bookstore in downtown Portland (Cameron's) for $1.50.

Mike Wilson said...

The only comic that jumps to mind is Avengers 177 (the end of the Korvac Saga) which I got at a school rummage sale. Of course it was missing the cover, but for 10 cents, why quibble? I always hear stories about people finding entire runs of comics in the quarter bins, but it hasn't happened to me ... yet.

I have found a few bargains at used bookstores; it's amazing what kind of cool old paperbacks you can get in a second-hand bookstore. I love those places.

J.A. Morris said...

Great stories!

My greatest "find" was finding about a half-dozen Claremont/Byrne/Austin X-men issues at a used bookstore in Dunedin,Florida, all under $10.00. This was 1986, but these issues were already pretty valuable at the time. I just wanted to read them, since this was long-before the days of these stories being reprinted ad infinitum.

I felt a tiny bit of guilt, since the bookstore was owned and operated by two women who were likely old enough to be my grandmother. But they were probably just happy to make a sale. I read them carefully, bagged them up and boxed the comics, where they remain 32 years later.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Edo - I can relate! When visiting my wife's home town in France I always check out the used book store. (Man - the French read a LOT!) Anyhow, I've found some fun stuff in English in there. There was a Gold Key Tarzan (you know the type with the painted covers) from around 1959 - 1960 for like 10 Francs which was $2 at the time. Next time, I'll look for items like you describe! Who knows, right???

Redartz said...

Rip- Rocketeer is/was great! Although I'm not familiar with the vintage Rocket Man, your acquisition of all those books in one day is pretty impressive. And I understand about your back and forth with the back issues: my collection is decreasing, but slowly- sell a hundred books, buy forty , sell twenty, buy five, and so on...

Charlie- you have some great finds there. Picking up that Golden Ager is really something. You have to love the whole experience of picking up a truly old,vintage book. And like you, I greatly enjoy hearing tales of everyone's discoveries. The coin magazines you mentioned sound familiar, I may have read some of those back in the days before all mine were stolen (alas).

Marti and Charlie- thanks, I had a lot of fun painting the model; but spread it out over about two weeks. Doing the detail, Kraven's face and the webbing was pretty involved, and about an hour at a time was all one could take. Don't know how Ditko did it...

Edo- great story about that Farmer book, what a find! You and Mike W. make a great case for haunting used bookstores and libraries...

J.A.- those elderly shopkeepers you tell of would probably be pleased to know how much you enjoyed those comics,and that you still have them...

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Marti - it's $1 recent-back-issue day at Graham Crackers Comics!!! I think I grab a half-dozen Archies by Mark Waid!

Martinex1 said...

Thanks CH 47. Good to know. Assume you shoveled out for the umpteenth time this week! Cheers.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Ha! I was thinking to shovel (yet again!) and out of nowhere (literally) this guy comes with a hondo snowblower and BAM! does our driveway, sidewalks and then goes down our cul de sac doing everyone else's. I am trying to figure out who this good Samaritan was!


Anyhow, the action at Graham Crackers is not burdensome. I did score 15 Mark Waid Archies for $1 each. What was really cool was that the first 3 issues were rebundled as a "one shot" of sorts for $10 and that was only $1, too. Sweet! That should keep me and the daughter busy for a while, lol. It's hit or miss, though. Sometimes recent back issues are sold out and it defeats my goal of having a good "run" to read uninterrupted.

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: