Monday, January 1, 2018

Two Questions: Resolutions and Selling Contusions!

  

Martinex1: Happy New Year one and all!  We will ring in 2018 with a smile on our face and a dance in our hearts!  Cheers to you all and may you and your families have a wondrous new year!

With that said, here are two questions (with some follow-ups) for our group!

QUESTION 1:  What if any New Year's Resolution have you made?  (I know... I know some of you dislike resolutions so if that is the case let me put a more casual spin on it...)  What chore do you hope to finish this year?  What comic purchase do you hope to make this year?  What movie are you looking forward to this year?  What book would you like to read or complete this year?  Are there any big events coming for you this year? And while we are at it.. what books, movies, and comics that your read in the last year would you recommend to others for this new year?

Here are two of my "easy to achieve" resolutions:

1) Read some Marvel comics that I have not before, including but not limited to Marvel Classics!



 2) Actually hold and see an issue of GRIT - that long advertised publication!

3) Exercise and get in shape (the old fashioned way - by reading books and kicking chairs)!


QUESTION 2: Some of us may sell some comics in 2018 so if you sold comic books in the past, what was the hardest part of that process?  How long did it take to finally give in and part with some books? What was your best sale and what was your worst failure in selling?  What would you recommend if giving advice on selling?  And what did you wish you never sold?  Have you ever bought anything back or replaced it?

So there you have it Two Questions (errr... more like a dozen questions) to kick off the new year.  We have time, so let's get a rousing conversation going while recuperating from the midnight festivities.

9 comments:

-3- said...

Not one for resolutions, etc.,. More prone to review at this time of year. But, really - who wants to linger on the last year?

Looking forward, i'm waiting to see the First Church Of Josh Brolin pop up across the country after his turn as Thanos in Avengers in May and Cable in Deadpool in June. This definitely looks to be his year.

Mostly, though, i'd just like a quiet year. That would be nice, wouldn't it?

Redartz said...

A very Happy New Year to one and all!

Resolutions? Not big on new years resolutions, I sort of make resolutions all year long. But, I hope to be a better person, to get a shed built, to get further ahead on posts, and to add a few choice books while streamlining the collection.

As for selling: yes, I've sold as much as I've bought. In the early 90s I sold all but 150 books from a collection of 12,000. There are several I wish I'd kept: Daredevil 7, Avengers 4, Spider-Man Annual 1. Alas...

In recent years I've built back up to about 1500 comics, but have been selling some and getting collected editions. My best sale was Fantastic Four 45 with the first appearance of the Inhumans. Paid 25.00 dollars for it and sold for 700.00. Spider-Man 300 was a fifty cent flea market purchase that sold for 180.00. On the other hand, there were some miscellaneous comic lots I sold on eBay that I lost money on. But overall, the selling has gone fairly well...

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Happy New Year to all!

My "resolution" is the same as last year's which I followed quiet well for several months and then...? Anyhow it's called "5 minutes a day" doing something. So I intend, again, to spend 5 minutes each day on Ukulele, Piano, French, and juggling a soccer ball... 20 minutes a day.

I am selling off comic books this year. My problem is that I do not want to get burned on postage fees mailing a comic to Seattle, Washington or Bangor, Maine. These are not high value books so I would sell in lots of 3 to diffuse the cost of postage. But can I use a flat rate method so I always know how much to charge for S & H?

I sold magazines last year and thus used flat-rate Media Mail.

(Red- I know you had some suggestions I need to reread, but if you can re-state them?)

Redartz said...

Charlie- when shipping, I always use the cushioned flat rate Priority Mail envelopes available from the post office. They come lined with bubble, and are large enough to hold about five comics along with cardboard on front and back. They are free, so you don't have to buy mailers. The postage costs a bit more, but it also includes fifty dollars insurance, and the recipient gets the package quickly; usually two days. And since I charge the postage to the buyer, it's nothing out of my wallet. Shipping charge usually covers it well..

Mike Wilson said...

I don't bother with resolutions, since I know I'd never keep them. I'd like to get something published this year, but that's more along the lines of hopes/wishes than resolutions. I guess I could resolve to finish another book this year. And I can resolve to keep up my blogging schedule; I actually made it through the first year, so hopefully I can keep it up.

I wouldn't mind losing a bit of weight too; I've already changed my diet, now I just have to work on that whole exercise thing ...

Edo Bosnar said...

Martinex, as I mentioned in my post on comic-book ads back at the BAB, Grit still exists and has an online edition. There's even a subscription form at the bottom of that page for the print-version. However, these days it seems to be more of a feature magazine for people living in rural communities rather than the newspaper it used to be.
I think you can find older issues from when it was an actual newspaper on eBay.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

HI Red - Thanks for the tip! Assuming I will offer comic-lots that sell under $50, to take advantage of the insurance, do you have any recommendations?

Like create a lot with one key comic and 2 - 3 non-keys? Or Just sell the Key separately and list the non-keys separately?

B.t.w. I hope it's warmer along the Ohio River Valley. It is merciless up here in Chicago.

Redartz said...

Charlie- what kind of lots you assemble is really up to you. I find putting a key book along with a couple of 'meh' books helps get rid of some of them, anyway. Or in the case, say, of Amazing Spider-Man: I am selling many issues, so I'll put a lot of several consecutive issues together. Say, issues 501-505; usually will start auctions at 99 cents. That tends to get more action, rather than a higher starting bid. So far I've never lost on a key book doing that, and it's fun to watch the bidding increase.
Oh, and it's a balmy 11 degrees, wind chill of 2 degrees...

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Thanks Red! It's a balmy -4 going up to -5 tonight in Chi-town.

I'm going to chill with a comic book I think. Can't decide between the latest issue of Marvel Two in One which features Thing, Torch, and Dr. Doom (The FF may be coming back?) or Harley Quinn.

I had been leafing through the Harley Quinn at the LCBS and she says "It's Clobberin Time!" before opening up a can of whoop a$$. The editor wrote in a blurb "I know that's someone else's line but he's not using it anymore/lately." Wow!

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: