Monday, January 15, 2018

Panel Discussion: Logo or No Go! The Art of the Title!







Martinex1: We have discussed buying a comic because of the cover.  We have talked about buying a comic because of the characters therein.   We have opined about buying a comic because of the creators involved.  But have we ever thought about buying a comic because of the cover design - and particularly the logo?

The answer to that is, "Probably not!"    The logos and headdress for comic books are relatively benign.  They are definitely stylish but they are more necessity and less inspirational.   But I find that I notice the font and style of a title, and it says something to me about the era, the genre of the book, and the relative seriousness of the story. 

With nostalgic influences for certain, I gravitate toward certain fonts and types.  And I associate certain waves of collecting with the changes made.

Today let's look at some of the art, and I will leave it open for your further commentary as I am sure we all will see these slightly differently. 

Let's start with Archie Comics and the joy in their titles. There is something inviting, soft, and harmless in lettering.  Every letter is rounded, no sharp edges at all.  The dot on the "i" is slightly askew giving us an off-centered approach.  The outlined letters give us a cushioned and comfortable feel.  Nobody would mistake these for horror or suspense comics.  And the basic titles for Archie, Betty and Veronica, PEP, etc remained virtually unchanged for decades. There were many imitators along the way, but these logos don't get the credit they deserve.  Heck, even we here at BitBA mimicked the style for our "Funny Books" columns.



The Archie logos never seem old-fashioned to me.  Perhaps they are just right.  I cannot really imagine how they can be modified for the better.   Some logos don't age well.  I find that true for many comics that have weathered their way through the Gold and Silver Ages.  Take a look at these.

I appreciate these examples.   But I can also see that they have aged.  The cursive Wonder Woman does not seem bold or strong enough.  It seem unimaginative and appropriate for an old laundry detergent advertisement but not for the strongest heroine on the planet.   The Action Comics
pulls on my childhood memories, but there is something very 1930s about its appearance.   It seems suitable in style for an old radio program.   Does the combination of straight lines and curves have an art deco feel that resonates with an older era?  The X-Men had a very aged look with the jagged edges on the "X" until it was redesigned for lasting effect during the Neal Adams era.


Before we dive too deep into DC and Marvel mainstays, let's take a look at the Atlas-Seaboard comics from the Bronze Age.  The upstart company mimicked some of Marvel's cover styling, but I think they created some fascinating and unique logos during the short life of the company.








I enjoy some of these very much. For my eye, The Brute, The Destructor, Grim Ghost, and Sgt. Stryker's Death Squad are attention getters. The weakest for me is Ironjaw; aside from a strange concept, the look is odd.  Why the two fonts within the word?  Overall though, I think Atlas-Seaboard showcased new talent and the logos seemed in line with that with each logo reflective of the content within... scary, forceful, mysterious.

There are some logos that I consider perfect and untouchable.   Two that would fit that category for me would be these versions of Amazing Spider-Man and The Avengers.  There have been many iterations over the years, but these stick with me.



Some books have stuck to the initial design through decades of publishing, while other titles have tried to change and modernize their look, with varying degrees of success.  What do you think about these logo designs?














Some of those rank very high on my preference list.  The Captain America and Falcon example is a favorite of mine.  I like when they included the red, white, and blue stripes in the lettering.  I like the original Fantastic Four look, but I did enjoy the other version in the late 1970s when it first appeared with different character art. Iron Man seems perfect.  But I don't care much for Ultimate Spider-Man at all; it is very busy and looks like the chrome grill of an old Chevy.  And while creating this blog is always a learning curve, I had no idea Quicksilver had his own book or logo.

Does it help to see how a logo works within a cover image?  I always thought Ghost Rider and Iron Fist had nice designs.  But perhaps the flames around the Ghost Rider lettering could be more apparent, and the rivets in the Iron FIst logo seem out of place (his fist is not really iron whereas Iron Man's suit is indeed metal).

So what are your favorite logos?  What books - whether mystery, suspense, funny animals, humor, westerns, or super-heroes - had the best logo designs.  Are there logos you love and are nostalgic?  Are there logos you despise and wish were changed?  Do you notice the logos when you make your purchases or are the words and letters invisible to you?   Vote for your top three logo designs; and what were the worst? Today, let's discuss this important facet of comic book cover design!

And if this topic generates enough discussion, perhaps in the future we can discuss the many other aspects of the comic masthead like the company logo.

 

8 comments:

William said...

As a professional graphic designer I really appreciate a good logo, especially when it perfectly get's it's intended message across to the consumer. I've always really liked Daredevil's logo for example. It's sleek and simple, but it conveys a real swashbuckling style that I think works great for the character.

Of the logos featured in the article, I really love Conan's logo, with the stone like lettering and the sword. It's just really cool and nicely conveys to the reader what Conan is all about. (Ancient warrior adventures).

Other favorites are Amazing Spider-Man, Iron Man and Hulk. They all get across the essence of the heroes they represent. Such as Spidey's webbing, Iron Man's invincible metal armor, and Hulk's stone crushing power. Really nice stuff.

Mike Wilson said...

I like Conan's sword logo as well; it lets you know what to expect. I also like the webs on Spidey's logo. The JLA logo was nice too; the stars made it look officious.

I love the Warlord logo. The old-fashioned font goes with the sword and sorcery theme of the comic. And I always thought the mix of font and script on Justice League Europe was pretty cool.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Marti- thanks for leading with Archie! You really nailed my unexpressed feelings about the logo which I'd been aware of but never articulated. Awesome! Thanks!

Killraven said...

I like this topic!

Those Atlas logo's give me the warm and fuzzies.

Ghost Rider had a logo I liked, they used it a little before the one showed.Using a scary font for Ghost and a fast font for Rider. Pretty cool.

Speaking of scary the Creepy and Monsters logos work for me.

And usually Plastic Man's logo has that right feel to it.

Anonymous said...


I think pretty much all my favourite logos are the versions I associate with my first encounter with the character, which for Marvel were pretty much all the late 70s versions. Of those, I think the Avengers is the most iconic (always loved that "the" was part of the "A" in "Avengers".

At least one big exception is Daredevil, where the Frank Miller logo supplanted the older one as the official look for DD (even being the logo of the Netflix series).

Liked that Iron Man logo with the rivets, too.

Great topic!

-david p.

Redartz said...

Great topic, Marti! And I fully agree with your love for the webby Amazing Spider-Man logo (specifically the more intricate original one, not the later Bronze age version with reduced webbing). Also the Avengers logo. With the arrow, it's just perfect. Like William, I have some design background, and recognize when a logo is effective. Some really grab your attention and hold your memory: the above, Conan's logo, the original Fantastic Four logo. Some are less memorable: much as I loved the book, the Defenders logo seemed pretty mundane. And that Detective logo with the Batman head- painful.

Those Archie logos are quite appropriate to the subject, get the comic's mood across, and are consistent throughout the whole line. Very effective indeed. In the humor field, I also feel that Harvey comics such as Casper and Richie Rich had pretty good logos. A good logo becomes instantly recognizable, and connectible to the source. Superman is a perfect example...

Jeff said...

Fun topic. Ones that leap to mind are the Golden Age All Star Comics, each word different, but Star filled with patriotic stars - just perfect for a WWII ensemble comic. Also, the simplicity of MAD for Mad Magazine. Big and bold and in your face for MAD. The Mystery in Space logo works too, like its about to be the opening crawl of a Flash Gordon movie.

Anonymous said...

Great topic. I have always associated the logo style of the book with my favorite run of that book. So the John Byrne era logo of the Fantastic Four become the standard for me (which I know was a return to the Lee/Kirby era--also used by Simonson in his all too brief run), all others just seemed...off. Like the Hickman era with the floating heads (a nod back to the 160-200ish era) or the arched look of the 125-150ish era--those never really sat well with me. Same with the IRON MAN rivets...so much better than the logos trying to incorporate printed circut design elements, or the horrible design used during John Bryne's interesting run. Bob Layton all the way!

Adam

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: