Saturday, January 27, 2018

Short Cuts: Award Shows...







Redartz:  This weekend is Grammy weekend; that is, the music industry's Big Show is presented Sunday night. Indeed, we are right in the thick of awards season. Recently we had the Golden Globe Awards, soon the film industry's Academy Award presentation (the Oscars) will be upon us. Then there are the Tony awards for theatre, the People's Choice Awards, the MTV Music Awards, and so on. Even the comics industry has it's Eisner Awards (which aren't televised, unfortunately). 

So today let's chat about these shows. Which do you watch? Which do you avoid like a press-hounded celebrity? Do you try to catch any Oscar-nominated films? Do you follow the Grammy nominations, perhaps sample some of the music (each year the Grammys release a CD compilation of nominees; I pick it up each year)? Do you think they accurately reflect the each industry's creative apex, or are they just a bunch of empty glitter? Step up to the mike and make your speech. Don't worry, we won't cut you off..



.
















6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Charlie Horse 47 said...

Well Red, This probably isn't exactly what you were hoping for, as a contribution to the today's blog, lol...

Ole Charlie no longer has TV really. I cut the cable/sat last year and it's been Netflix and Spanish-League Soccer (Sling TV via the Roku device) ever since.

There is so much/many TV and movies available now, I've lost interest in them. I suppose I am part of the trend reflected in decreasing viewership of the Oscars.

I mean, my only interest in video at the moment is finding a decent version of "The Day After" to watch. I didn't realize 100,000,000 watched it, in 1983, when was shown on TV. Most watched movie on TV in US history; 50% of the USA tuned in. I remember I was 21, going into the military soon, and it really, really rattled my cage.

All that said, it was fun to watch the Oscars as a teen in the 1970s.


Mike Wilson said...

I'm kinda like Charlie; I do have a TV, but I don't watch much anymore. Mostly the DC superhero shows and the odd sporting event (like Super Bowl). I never cared much about awards shows, as they never seem to nominate anything I've seen. Of course, I don't see many movies either, just stuff like Star Wars and various superhero movies.

Redartz said...

Not much love for the current awards shows, it seems. I certainly understand. I did find more interest and enjoyment in the older shows, such as seeing David Given on the Oscars. And the Grammys were the best of the lot, some great performances in the 80s...

William said...

When I look at the state of world today I just can't seem to muster up the enthusiasm to watch a bunch of self righteous, egotistical, privileged millionaires celebrating themselves, and congratulating each other for basically doing nothing for anyone but themselves. Pass!!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hmmmm Inspired by Colin and William's remarks, I might pose the following question this Tuesday if I remember.

I'm reading a very entertaining and decently written book on the New Wave music called "Mad World." I do recommend it. In the last chapter they ponder was it coincidence that the Live Aid / Band Aid concerts seem to synch up with the ending of the New Wave?

I.e., did Bob Geldoff deciding to do something about millions of starving Ethiopians, with New Wave artists, put the world in a more serious light and put New Wave on a path towards eliminating the flamboyant dress, hair, generally non-serious nature of it?

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: