Saturday, December 30, 2017

Rank and File: Supporting Casts!


Martinex1:  I've always had a liking for Foggy Nelson over in the old Stan Lee and Gene Colan Daredevil stories.  I enjoyed his upbeat approach to all situations and his general support of his partners. And most importantly I think he helped round out Matt Murdock (and Daredevil) as a character.  The fact that these two - opposites in almost every way - were best friends made the book a fun read even when Daredevil wasn't romancing Karen or tackling villains.
This got me thinking about supporting characters.   Who are the best?  And what book has the overall best supporting cast?  Try ranking your top 5 of both cast and characters.

Here are some characters that leaped to mind for me:

Superman of course had Lois Lane and Jimmy Olson.  They were so popular they even had their own comic mags.  Poor Perry White had to be a guest star!


Batman had few hangers-on as he was such a loner and so dark and brooding, but surely the iconic Robin, Alfred, and Commissioner Gordon are A-List supporting cast members.

But what of lesser known characters, like Bernie Rosenthal over in Captain America?  I think her interaction with Steve Rogers elevated the character tremendously in those years.  She rounded out and even highlighted some flaws the perfect super-soldier.

And as far as casts go, can anybody beat Spider-Man's?  From the early Steve Ditko days, the roster was nearly complete with J. Jonah Jameson, Aunt May, Flash, and the gang.   But it only got better over the years.




DC's Flash had Iris and Wally West; and the Kid-Flash sure joined in many adventures.  Perhaps the strangest thing about the Flash comic is that the Rogues were almost a supporting team.  The interaction between the hero and the villains was on a different level than others in the early Bronze Age.

Team books, because of the headcount of  headlining characters, rarely had multiple characters in supporting roles.   The Avengers had Jarvis, but the Fantastic Four had Alicia Masters, Wyatt Wingfoot, Frankie Raye, Franklin Richards, and the very infrequent Willie Lumpkin.

And of course Daredevil also had Karen Page in addition to Foggy Nelson.

Rick Jones seemed to guest star and support every loner hero in the Marvel Universe, from the Hulk, to Captain Marvel, to Captain America, the Avengers, and ROM.  But I liked him best alongside Betty and Thunderbolt Ross in the early Hulk books.



After reflection, here are my top five supporting characters followed by top five supporting casts!  Without further ado:

Martinex1's Top 5 Favorite Supporting Characters:

5) Alfred: I'm not a huge Batman fan, but I do recognize Alfred's role in both the story and the craft.
4) Rick Jones: He is not for everybody, but he has been intrinsic to the development of so many Marvel characters.
3) Bernie Rosenthal: As stated, she really made Captain America more relateable and dare I say, "likeable."
2) Foggy Nelson:  He is a nostalgic pick as I stated above.
1) J. Jonah Jameson:  I cannot imagine early Spidey's stories or development without the infernal Bugle publisher.

That was a lot harder than I thought and I could easily knock most off with a proper debate, but for now those are my top five characters.

Martinex1's Top 5 Supporting Casts:

5) The Flash: If I get to keep the Rogues as support (and I do) then they have to make the list.
4) The Fantastic Four: It is interesting that often their adversaries later become support, like the Inhumans and Silver Surfer.  That moved them up in my ranking.
3) Superman: Just because I respect their longevity - Lois. Jimmy, Perry, Lana, Ma and Pa and the rest get a nod.
2) Archie: A little curve ball here, but can you deny that Betty, Veronica, Jughead, Reggie, Moose, Dilton, and the rest aren't spectacular?
1) Spider-Man: it is hard to believe how rounded and complete the surrounding cast is for Peter Parker.  From Mary Jane to Aunt May, from Flash to Robbie, from Gwen to Betty Brant, it has been nearly perfect for a long time.

Share what you think and rank your own as well.  Don't feel you have to limit it to the characters I've listed or to particular heroes or even to Marvel and DC (there is great reasoning to think Casper or Richie Rich or Blue Beetle have the best support). We'd like to hear what you think.  Cheers!

7 comments:

Rip Jagger said...

Top Five Supporting Characters:

5. Pokey (Gumby) - He keeps the effusive Gumby humble
4. Robbie Robertson (Spider-Man) - A mature smart and not-in-the-least-cliche black role model
3. Nova Kane (E-Man) - His one true love and the real brains of that operation
2. Rick Jones (Hulk, Captain America, Avengers, Captain Marvel) - Sidekick Supreme
1. Lois Lane (Superman) - He fights for all of us to impress her

Top Five Supporting Casts:

5. Batman Family (Robin, Alfred, Chief Gordon, and on and on)
4. Spider-Man Family (Betty, Gwen, Mary Jane, Aunt May, JJJ, Uncle Ben, etc.)
3. Superman Family (Lois, Lori, Lana, Lex, Perry, Ma and Pa, Krypto, and more)
2. Archie Family (Jughead, Betty, Veronica, Hot Dog, Grundy, Cherry, Kevin, and more every day)
1. The Spirit Family (Dolan, Ebony, Ellen, P'Gell, Silk, without them there is no story)

Rip Off

Edo Bosnar said...

I would probably agree that Spider-man has one of the best supporting casts, with very well-rounded and memorable characters - it's probably the first one that comes to mind when someone mentions comic-book supporting casts.
Also, Rip, good call on both Nova Kane (nee Katrinka Colchnzski) and the Spirit's supporting cast.

Otherwise, I definitely agree that Bernie Rosenthal is an awesome supporting character, and should have stayed Cap's primary and sole love interest. In that vein, the supporting cast that appeared in the Cap comics in the early '80s, i.e., the people that lived in the same rooming house, plus Sam Wilson popping in occasionally, is one of my favorites.

Another supporting character I love is Bethany Cabe in Iron Man, who - like Bernie for Cap - should have stayed on permanently as Tony's girlfriend and then wife/life partner. Also, I loved Iron Man's entire supporting cast during the Michelinie/Layton run: besides Bethany, there was Rhodey, Mrs. Arbogast, Martell (the SI security chief), Pithens (the kind of slimy PR guy), Bethany's partner Ling...

And following Rip's example of whole 'families,' I love the supporting cast for Power Man and Iron Fist: Misty Knight, Colleen Wing, D.W. Griffith, Jeryn Hogarth and Jennie Royce (their admin at Heroes for Hire).

Dr. O said...

Spider-Man's supporting cast is easily the best. I would read an ongoing comic just about the Daily Bugle gang.

Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen are of course classic - and their Silver Age shennanigans are unparalleled in the weird.

I want to put in a plug for FF, because Wyatt Wingfoot, Crystal, Frankie Raye, Alicia Masters, Yancy St. Gang, etc. . . are awesome.

ROM had a good supporting cast for a while (but then the extra evil female wraiths arrived and killed the whole town on Clairton - oops, early 80s spoilers!)

Simayl said...

What about the Tomb of Dracula cast: Quincy Harker, Rachel Van Helsing, Blade, Frank Drake, Hannibal King, Taj Nital etc? Or Master of Kung Fu: Fu Manchu, Sir Denis Nayland Smith, Fah Lo Suee, Black Jack Tarr, Clive Reston, Leiko Wu etc?

Mike Wilson said...

I agree about Spidey's supporting cast having the most depth. Mary Jane was always my favourite, even before they got married.

I liked Bernie Rosenthal too, though I also liked Diamondback as Cap's girlfriend. Arnold Roth was a pretty good character as well.

I agree with Simayl on Shang Chi's supporting cast; I especially liked Clive and Leiko. As for individuals, I always liked Shvaughn Erin and Gigi Cusimano, two Science Police officers who hung out with the Legion.

And of course the X-Men had lots of support over the years: Moira, Sharon Friedlander and Peter Corbeau, Jamie Madrox, Stevie Hunter, Lila Cheney ...

Redartz said...

Rip- great observation, bringing up the Spirit's cast. And I also fully agree with everyone praising Spider-Man's vast cast. Like Osvaldo, I'd follow a book devoted to them. "Publishing Tales, featuring the adventures of J. Jonah Jameson"?

Also, here's a salute to the supporting characters of Gerber's "Man-Thing". The likes of Richard Rory, Jennifer Kale, Dakimh the Enchanter, and a certain Duck all helped add personality to the title of a mute muck monster.

Martinex1 said...

Rip - those are fantastic. Great points on Robbie And Nova Kane. And Pokey -ha - I thought he was the star of the show!

Edo - I couldn't agree more about Bethany Cabe; I too enjoyed that Iron Man era and her characterization was a big part of it. I often wonder why writers don't bring some of those support characters back. And I wish I thought of PM/IF. Great cast there.

Dr. O - I too always thought the ROM cast had a great newness about it. If there is one thing I thought was a big misstep in the book is what happened to the town. They could have gone big without going that big.

Mike W. I too liked Diamondback. They handled her well Gruenwald assembled another good group of support for Cap. But I have to say other than Jamie and Moira, I never much liked the X-Men's support characters. Never interested me.

Red - Man-Thing is not something I would have thought of. I like all of the suggestions here.

Thanks all. And a happy New Year. Cheers!

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: