Saturday, April 1, 2017

Pulled From the Pack: Topps Baseball Cards!






Redartz:  Hello all! With apologies to our UK contingent, today we are honoring Baseball Opening Weekend with a look at Topps Baseball Cards. Topps started producing baseball cards in 1952, and has released a set every year since. While there have been many other manufacturers of cards (Donruss, Upper Deck, Fleer, and so on), Topps has become almost synonymous with the little cardboard collectibles. 

Each year the company varies it's card design, and some of those designs have achieved great popularity. Of course, your favorite cards are probably the ones you had in your youth. Mine were!  I first picked up baseball cards shortly after being introduced to comic books. It was the 1969 Topps set, white borders. I had a favorite team, the Cincinnati Reds, and a favorite player, Willie Mays. I ended up with many Reds cards, but was frustrated that I couldn't get a Mays card. 

Side story here: our babysitter at the time had a brother who was a HUGE Reds fan. He sent me an offer through his sister to trade my Reds cards for a whole box of other cards. I took the trade, and ended up with a shoebox full of older Topps cards dating back to the late 1950's. Young and oblivious, I used some in my bicycle spokes (sound familiar, anyone) and didn't complain when my Mom got rid of the rest. After all, they were old cards; I was looking for this year's cards! I'm kind of glad I don't know what I threw away there...

Anyway. most of each year's sets are individual player cards. But some popular subsets stand out. I was always excited to pull a "Sporting News All Star" card, or league leader cards. Rookie cards
were a big interest (and remain so today, among card collectors). There were team cards, showing a whole team photo (and those made a perfect stack topper when you grouped each team's player cards together with a rubber band). And a big attraction were the playoff and World Series cards. Of course, it became a real challenge trying to get the whole set (you'd end up with three or four duplicates of one game, and none of another). It was only after years had passed that you could actually buy the whole card set, boxed by the manufacturer. 





The late 1960's and 70's were long before the advent of insert cards, variants and foil (again, sound familiar, comic fans?). However, Topps periodically included some extras in the card  packs (aside from that tooth-chipping stick of gum). One year they slipped in mini-posters of some star players. Another time it was little mini-biograpies of the players. Then there were the "coins", small metal discs featuring a player photo on the front and an informative tidbit on the back. One of these is shown here. It is the only bit of baseball memorabilia I actually kept from childhood . I still remember pulling that coin from a pack at a local candy store/barber shop one summer night in 1971.

Then there were game cards, in which you'd scratch off a card and see if you got a hit, or an out. In 1970 Topps made a limited series of giant cards, about 3 x 5 inches, of heavy cardboard stock. In the 80's, they made a couple mini-sized card sets. Between the yearly design changes, subsets. and oddities like these, there were plenty of areas to collect and specialize. And such is the state of the hobby yet today.

I collected these cards for several years, before giving them up. Years later, after quitting comics, I got caught up in baseball cards for a while, but when comic fever returned, I left the cards again. After all, one hobby is costly enough to maintain! Although, I still pick up a pack or two each season, just to see what they look like.

And now we present a year-by-year look at the card designs for Topps Baseball, throughout our Bronze Age:


 1970

 1971

1972

1973
1974

1975

1976

1977

1978

1979

1980

1981

1982

1983

 1984
 1985

Any of these cards bring back memories? How many of you had a shoebox full, perhaps still do? Share your thoughts and recollections. And good luck to your favorite team this season!


10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only baseball player I've heard of is Babe Ruth. Here's a fascinating fact - Babe Ruth died on August 16th 1948 and Madonna was born exactly ten years later on August 16th 1958.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Still got my cards from the 60s and 70s dutifully marked with my initials in pen to ensure my brother and friends did not "think they were theirs" lol!

Yeppp... we used a clothes pin to attach them to our bikes so that the wheel spokes made noise.

Ummm.... why are there no Chicago White Sox and Cubs players shown???

Lord knows why but my son was at a flea market about 10 years ago and bought a bunch of unopened cases of cards from the 80s (?). He seems to think this will fund his retirement in 50 years. To be sure, I urge him to pursue other forms of retirement investing.

Mike Wilson said...

I used to have a ton of baseball (and hockey) cards, but I've only got a handful left. I do have that Eckersley one and I probably had the Garvey, Schmidt, and Eddie Murray ones as well. I'm not sure about the Strawberry ... that was about the time I lost interest in collecting.

I also have an old baseball sticker album from 1983 (incomplete, of course).

In Canada, we had O-Pee-Chee cards, which were identical to Topps except the info on the back was written in English and French.

Humanbelly said...

Say guys, am I correct that the baseball card collecting/investment bubble burst at just about the same time as the comic book one, about 15, 20 years ago? Remember that there was just a plague of small little shops for awhile there? I'm not sure if there any left locally at all at this point. . .

HB

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Ha! In Downers Grove IL the baseball card shop is next to the comic shop! But I've been told it has minimal foot traffic and depends on internet sales. Well baseball in general is going the way of comic books and football is trending the same. We will live in a world of soccer and basketball soon enough...

Redartz said...

Charlie- sorry, I struck out on the Chicago teams! I'm shamefaced, especially after the Cubbies performance last fall. And your son isn't alone in shaky retirement planning. My son accumulated tons of Beanie Babies, which now collect dust in our upstairs storage. Can't give them away.

Mike W.- those O-Pee-Chee cards could be a bonus : fun and educational!

HB- yes, it seems the collectibles market dove in general about the same time, across several fields. A fellow I work with is a card collector, and he feels the hobby is entering a comeback phase. No doubt there are many dealers who hope so...

Humanbelly said...

Oh dear, Red-- hopefully your friend isn't holding out for the revival of the 8-track tape-! Or for vaudeville to make its big comeback--! (Ha-- I kid!)

HB

Graham said...

I collected them off and on. I remember having cards like the one with Yaz at the top of the post. I had Johnny Bench and Reggie Jackson's cards like that one. The ones that looked familiar to me were from '70 and '73. Those were the busiest years I had, but I never got a lot of the big names in my packs. When I was in college, around '85 or '86, I got back into it a bit. My brother inherited my shoebox full and he really got into it in the late 80's/early 90's.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Red, the man who invented beanie babies Ty warner, lives here in Westmont Illinois. if I recall he is now in jail for tax evasion. He blamed the tax evasion on his difficult parents when he was growing up . Tu Warner has been generous with our town, though, having built a very very nice park.

I would not be surprised, if there is a resurgence in baseball card and beanie baby collecting. I have noticed on eBay that there is a strong strong increase in the amount of bidding on comic books at this time. So, perhaps The collecting hobbies are correlated.

If only my parents had been mean to me, perhaps I would now be a millionaire.

dbutler16 said...

Ah, memories. I'd had all of my baseball cards, but my wife got rid of them all some time in the past couple of years. :-(
They're all great, but for some reason, I'm partial to that 1972 design.

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: