Friday, April 7, 2017

Pulled From The Pack: Cereal Prizes!


Martinex1: Good day BitBA fans!  Today we are pullin' a variety of toys from a different type of pack!  Let's take a look at cereal and the "Free Toy Inside!"

As a youngster, going to the grocery story with my mom was an adventure in boredom control. Unless there were comics or toys or gumballs involved, my attention span in aisles of fruit, soap, and canned vegetables was limited to say the least.   But when we turned the cart into that magical cereal aisle, a whole new world of fun for the senses erupted.   From the colorful cartooned boxes to the slightly sweet smell of sugar and cardboard, I was suddenly locked in and ready for shopping.   My mom would generally buy a few boxes for the family - the tried and true Cheerios, Wheaties, and Quaker Oatmeal, but she typically allowed me to pick one box by myself, and let me wander up and down searching for the perfect pack.  There were a lot of choices in the early 70s and most were geared toward the purchasing prowess of kids my age.

Martinex1:  I would look for a combination of taste and fun vibrant boxes to read while eating, but the single most significant driving factor for my mom's dollar was the prize inside.  Super Soap Shapers! Yo-yos! Racing Coaches! Magic Tricks! Terrariums! Trinkets! Even Records!  They all vied for my attention. 


Martinex1:  There was quite the selection, from Freakies to Peanut Butter Crunch to Quisp or Quake to the monster cereals of  Count Chocula, Boo Berry, Frankenberry, Fruit Brute, or Yummy Mummy.  To make it even more difficult, many of the cereal characters were designed by the best cartoon animators in the business, and they had endless commercials on Saturday mornings.  But it was usually that lower corner blurb on the box that often got my mind churning.   Free Inside! Free Inside! Inside! Inside!


Shot with Sugar....Indeed!
Martinex 1: I had so many favorites and had various collections going at once.   From the dinosaur coins in the Cocoa Pebbles and Fruity Pebbles which were endorsed by Fred Flintstone and Barney Rubble no less to the state license plates for my bike straight from the Honeycomb hideout, my bedroom drawers were filled with these items. I liked the plastic ships in bottles and growing sprouts on the terrarium sponge.   I tried to "collect them all" but I just couldn't eat that much.  Take a look at some of the offerings!














Martinex1;  Sure, sometimes unwitting me didn't realize I had to mail in money for the prize, but I always enjoyed reading about them even if I didn't have the two-bits to send away for their "awesomeness".

Martinex1: And I mentioned records... some cereals would have cut-out records on the back of the box that could actually play on your turntable.   The Archies, Bobby Sherman, and others were big hits with my friends.









Martinex1: There was so much joy brought about by those small plastic doodads in the cereal box.  I can remember reaching in and digging through the cereal for the prize.  Not exactly sanitary I know, but a cheerful memory nonetheless.   Here are a a few more images that hopefully will jog your memory as well.















Martinex1:  I understand why this marketing approach has pretty much gone the way of dinosaurs; a bowl of sugar and milk is probably not the healthiest way to start the day, but there is still a nostalgic pang in my heart for the rather simple joy of finding something "cool" in the bottom of the cereal box.

So what are your memories around these toys and tastes?   What were your favorites? And did you have similar experiences to mine?   So pull out the big bowl, get that square waxed carton of whole milk out of the refrigerator, choose your favorite flavored corn flake or puffed rice, and share your musings and memories!  I am sure we can have a wonderfully raucous discussion today.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bueller? Beuller? Is this thing on?

Yoyo

Unknown said...

The records were my favorite. Pounding Honeycombs listening to the horrible audio is a great Saturday morning memory! Does anyone remember Quisp? It was basically saucer shaped Cap'n Crunch. The box had this weird little alien on it. A local grocery store here just started carrying it again. Ahh, wonderful memories and tooth decay....

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hello! Man did I eat a ton of cereal growing up as a kid. I ate Quisp and my brother ate Quake.

And I do remember the records on the back of the honeycomb cereal box. The record I got was strangers in the night by Frank Sinatra. As a nine-year-old boy it was not particularly exciting listening to Frank Sinatra, lol!

Eating Captain crunch....It was so crunchy that it would rip the top of my mouth and little shards of flesh would hang down. I do remember having great fun pushing those shards of flesh with my tongue while sitting in school. Good times!

oh yes!! I almost forgot! There were some really really cool three dimensional baseball cards in the cereal boxes at one time.

But like Marty and Red wrote above it was always a dilemma to decide whether I go for the cereal or I go for the price in the cereal!

And then there was the time my brother and I got caught stealing the wiener whistle's out of the Oscar Meyer hot dog packages at the grocery store. But that is a different story for a different blog. Cheers everybody!

Redartz said...

Wow, I'd forgotten some of those cereals! Hard to believe how many there were. And how they so prominently hyped their sugar content!

Very fun topic, Marti! You're right, often the cereal choice was determined by the prize. I remember getting a Trix rabbit magnifier/whistle combo. Also recall that Quake viewer.

Charlie- yes, those 3D baseball cards were very cool. Seems like they came in boxes of Pop Tarts, and maybe Frosted Flakes.

The records were great, too. I had an Archie's record off a box of Honeycomb. You had to place a coin on the record to give it enough weight to stay put and play...

It was always an adventure finding the prize. You often had to dig through the whole box to find it in the bottom. Or you could go the easy way and pour out the whole box into a mixing bowl. Of course, getting the cereal back in was another matter...

Mike Wilson said...

The only ones I kind of remember were the Cap'n Crunch Super Sub (which you can see here, among others) and a weird cardboard "picture frame" thing with a background that you added rub-on transfers to.

I can't even remember what cereal that one came from (Froot Loops maybe?), but I think I might actually still have it somewhere. If I can find it, I'll take a photo and email it to you guys so you can gaze upon the wonderment yourselves.

ColinBray said...

What a cornucopia of gifts, branding and flavors. Certainly much beyond the selection we had in the UK at the same time.

Some of these products may have just as well been saying "Frogmen! Submarines! Coin holders! And while you're here, try some free cereals!"

Not being a breakfast kid (or adult) this is a foreign land. As a boy I did, however, collect cards packed in boxes of tea bags. I first learned about Benjamin Franklin that way.

Anonymous said...

I had some kinda little red Frankenberry figure and I wish I still had it! It would sit proudly on my mantle.

M.P.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

If anyone is still out there on a Friday night...

Colin B I think you are right. At the end of the day, the primary ingredient in many of these cereals was sugar and sugar has a universal appeal among kids. So, it's not so much the product we kids were looking for as the prize.

BUT - Honey Comb's sugar tasted different than Cap'n Crunches'! And, Quisp was different than Quake.

Hey - Where did I get the Frito Bandito figures that would sit on the end of my pencil? In Fritos or a cereal box?

Also, the three "W.C. Fields" characters in the posting look a lot like the Bandito erasers. What are they from?

Redartz said...

Charlie- your Frito Bandito came from a bag of Fritos corn chips. I had a yellow one, and recall it well...

Man, Marti, great job finding all those images! "Puffa Puffa Rice"? Talk about a blast from the past...

Martinex1 said...

Red and Charlie - I think I made an error in the post. Those erasers are W. C. Frito erasers; I know they were premiums given in Frito-Lay snack packs with their chips, but I had it in my head that they were also given away in a cross promotion with Kellogg. But I have no proof of that - so somebody refresh my memory if you can. Fritos had a few mascots including Frito Bandito who was put to pasture because of stereotyping; he was followed by W.C. Frito who would say, "My dear chip-a-dee..." Sometimes there is confusion between W.C. and Frito Bandito who wore a sombrero and would carry guns and steal Fritos while the FBI (Frito Bureau of Investigation would pursue him). W.C. was more of a charmer. At the time Frito-Lay also had the Munch Bunch and Cheeto the Mouse as mascots. I think all of those characters were packaged as give-away erasers in the early 70s. I thought I got them in Kellogg Sugar Smacks for some reason and when I saw the photo I included it, but I think my recall 45 years later is off.

Unknown said...

Ha! Good to see this topic. I'm a big collector of Aussie cereal premiums -- Tooly Birds, Camel Train, Crater Critters, Totem Tribe etc... a lot of these were also released in the USA and Europe.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Maaarti! You are really dredging my memory banks now! I do remember me cousin, brothers, and I walking around saying, "Ah Yes, my little chip a deeeee!" But I have to assume cereal got on the eraser give-away binge too with something.

Ayyy yii yiii yiiiiii.... Oh I am the Frito Bandito.....!

Warren JB said...

Some cereals were a bit different to those, in the UK, 80s-90s, but the excitement of free gifts at the bottom is the same! Pity I can't remember most of them... I do remember Monsters in my Pocket in boxes of Frosties a few times, including a weird, bipedal, dayglo ankylosaurus that I kept for years, and a bunch of exclusive mini troll dolls from Weetos*

Then there were the things you had to send off for. Over here we had to cut out and send tokens from the back of the box - printed, postage-stamp sized squares - rather than, what I gather from american TV shows, box tops. IIRC the bigger boxes had extra tokens printed on them: a bigger incentive to buy more! Sounds incredibly tragic these days, but the best thing I got that way was an atlas with the long-disappeared Weetabix mascots all over it. This 'un!

http://www.cerealoffers.com/Weetabix_Ltd/Weetabix/1985/Wonderworld_Atlas/wonderworld_atlas.html

Wow, that site's really jogging my bad memory.

*Chocolatey hoops from the Weetabix company. The old mascot, Professor Weeto, was animated by Aardman, and gave us one of the best cereal ads ever...

https://youtu.be/0R_izq-Jb6g

Warren JB said...

Don't mean to hog bandwidth, but thanks to that cereal offers site and the fact we're encouraged to reminisce...

Stencils!
http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Coco_Pops/1980s/Stencil_Fun/stencil_fun.html

Joke slides!
http://cerealoffers.com/Weetabix_Ltd/Weetos/1980s/Joke_Slides/joke_slides.html

Transformers!
http://cerealoffers.com/Weetabix_Ltd/Weetabix/1990s/Sindy_Doll_-_Transformers/sindy_doll_-_transformers.html

Bike reflectors!
http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Coco_Pops/1990-95/Bike_Reflectors/bike_reflectors.html

Jurassic Park!
http://cerealoffers.com/Weetabix_Ltd/Weetabix/1990s/Jurassic_Park/jurassic_park.html

Transfers!
http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Frosties/1990/Wildlife_Transfer_Kit/wildlife_transfer_kit.html

Magic tricks!
http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Frosties/1990/Magic_Tricks_/magic_tricks_.html

Moving pictures!
http://cerealoffers.com/Weetabix_Ltd/Weetos/1990s/Wild_Animal_Moving_Picture_Car/wild_animal_moving_picture_card.html

Red arrows!
http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Frosties/1990/Red_Arrow_Aircraft_-_Transport/red_arrow_aircraft_-_transporter.html

Jet! (Oh Jet...)
http://cerealoffers.com/Kelloggs/Frosties/1990/Gladiators_Metalilc_Action_Car/gladiators_metalilc_action_card_-_figures.html

And much, much more!

TL;DR: I ate way too many Frosties when I was wee...

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: