Friday, April 21, 2017

Adventures in Comics: Comics and Parenthood!

Redartz:  Good day, everyone, and welcome to another episode of "Adventures in Comics". Many of the subjects we discuss here at BitBA involve looking back to our collective youth. Today, though, we will work from the vantage point of 'adulthood' (yes, my level of adulthood is certainly open to debate). Many of us are parents, or have nieces or nephews. Some of us are actually grandparents. As parents, or aunts/uncles or grandparents, part of our role is the passing on of knowledge and experience. As Bronze Agers, our love of comics has been an important part of our lives, and as such, is fair game to pass along to the next generation. Therefore, today, let's talk about the ways in which comics have been a part of our parental role.

 

As a young parent, only a couple years out of college, I still had a modest comic collection. Our two sons knew of my hobby (and knew which books were 'off limits'). In my youth, reading comics helped nurture my general love for reading. I was determined to inspire reading in our sons as well. And among the books I read to them were several featuring comic characters. These weren't comics per se, but children's storybooks featuring the likes of Batman, Spider-Man, Captain America and the Hulk. Our youngest, in particular, really picked up on the characters early on. He became nuts about Batman, carrying his figures around all over the house. He still collects figures, but now they are somewhat larger.  Our oldest, meanwhile, developed an interest in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.









The fascination both boys had for comic characters was reflected in many ways: the decorations in their rooms, their toys, and their birthday cakes. My wife would bake incredible cakes, and rely on me to render Batman, Spider-Man, the Turtles, and many others in colored frosting. Drawing Spidey's webbing is challenging anytime, let alone using a frosting bag and tips. 





It wasn't long before financial difficulties necessitated the disposal of practically all of my remaining comics. Ironically, while I was parting with most of mine, our oldest started getting interested in comics. Indeed, I took him to his first comic shop about 1990, and he got hooked on Todd McFarlane's work on Spider-Man. I passed several books on to him at the time to help him get started. Here is one of his earliest acquisitions, on one of those LCS trips:


During that decade, both boys got further interested in comics due to the popular Batman, Spider-Man and X-Men animated tv series. By the late 90's, their enthusiasm had spread back to me and I started picking up some comics again. Of course, now I had some company. At my workplace, our youngest would join me when he didn't have school, and at lunch we would go to a local card/comic shop and pick out a few goodies (they made effective rewards for good grades). And each Christmas, I'd sneak a few back issues into each boy's gifts (usually stuck inside a sweater or shirt). 

Both of our sons developed sufficient interest in comics that the day finally came when all three of us attended a con: Wizard World Chicago. Their first reactions upon entering the show were priceless. A huge venue, literally filled with comics, creators, fans, and much more. They looked like Dorothy stepping out into Oz for the first time! Watching them rifle through boxes and boxes of books, meeting artists, and watching the cosplayers: it made for a great day. And even the drive up to the show was such a treat: all of us excitedly discussing the comics we loved and would be seeking out. That day, sent with the two of them, will always be one of the biggest highlights in my career as a dad.

 

A few years later, our oldest made us grandparents. And like his 'old man', our son started introducing his boys to comics. And it connected with them as well. Starting out, they enjoyed books such as the one shown on the left. Our first grandson comes to visit us from time to time, and he loves to read my comics and graphic novels. He also has been the recipient of some four color fun from my collection. And the next grandson: well, last time I saw him he was beaming as he showed me the stack of comics he picked up at a thrift store (chip off the old block). He scored a nice little pile of Bronze age books, among them several issues of Marvel Two-in-One. Both grandsons are readers, incidentally, and are doing great in school. I'm not saying that comics are the cause, but hey, they didn't hurt...

 





To sum it all up: comics have certainly been a part of my life, and it's only natural they would be a part of parenthood as well. I do think they helped our sons, I know they helped me growing up. And comics definitely provided some very fond memories of some wonderfully shared experiences. That's no small thing. 

Okay, friends- what do you think? Has your comics fandom been reflected in your parental life? Please share your stories; I can't wait to hear them!








.

13 comments:

Humanbelly said...

Yikes-- dangerous "could spend the rest of the day contributing" topic for me that you've posted here, Red! And it's one of those blasted 18-hour, wall-to-wall days, as cruel fate would have it. . . Argh!!

But-- can I at least lead-off by saying that, if this were a FB post, I'd be slathering it with hearts all over the place? Really nice one--

[Ah, let me get one quick reminiscence in: When HBLad was still a chatty toddler-- probably late in his 2nd year?-- I started reading the Fantastic Four to him as part of his bedtime story reading, and he loved it. We began with issue #1 via Marvel Masterworks, and with other reprint resources I managed to have the entire run represented. He had a 6" Ben Grimm action figure that liked to sit with us (Ben's voice is wonderfully easy to pick up). He also liked hearing/reading it to pass the time on trips, in waiting rooms, etc. Although not immersive, this continued on regularly for a number of years of his early child-hood. And at some point 'waaaay down the road I happened to mention something in the issue we were reading was related to something in, like, issue #2. . . and he pointed out that he had no memory at all of issue #2, because as far as he knew, we had never NOT been reading FF. It didn't occur to me that the clear, relatively recent memories for me were distant events for him-- ones that had taken place on the other side of that memory-wall of self-awareness that we all have... beyond his ability to recall. It was just about the most bittersweet thing ever-- but mitigated by the fact that, to him, reading FF together was a foundational, happy-childhood memory that he will carry forever.]

HB

Anonymous said...

I don't have any children or nieces or nephews so I've got nothing to contribute except to say that I love those birthday cakes !

david_b said...

I've never had kids myself, but I got to indulge both my young niece and nephew as they grew..., both born in the '80s, they apparently loved their 'Uncle Dave'.

My nephew really loved the Mego line from the '70s, especially the Spiderman and Batman figures.., 'course I got him into comic collecting, GI Joes, sci-fi, you name it. He's made me pretty proud, and frankly, many say he got most of his personality from me as well, not really sure that's a good thing, but eh, he's doing alright. The niece is a bit more coy, she's picked up on my musical interests, sci-fi and generally other comic stuff.

They're both wonderful and I've largely felt I've left my mark in the world with them..

So who else but my nephew, as my 'best man' last year, started his celebratory toast out with, "As the Klingons would undoubtedly say, 'Today IS a good day to get married'.."......?

Too funny. Perhaps they're not from my loins, but yes, I have reproduced.

ColinBray said...

A heart-warming and profound post, Red. I have daughters aged 9 and 6 and one of the most wonderful things in life is sharing my (and our) love of reading with them.

Most notable in this context, I think, is that both daughters are truly comfortable with pop culture, especially the comic end of it. The oldest in particular has spend much of her life designing capes for her cuddly toys and just this week started reading the Korvac Saga. I don't force it on her but it seems to be as natural as breathing.

But in the end I do think all the culture we build around reading and comics is for one purpose, one that Stan would rap about in his more philosophical moments. And that is, to help us understand each other, to build a sense of empathy and shared responsibility. The capes are fun but they are merely a vehicle for this, albeit a delightful one.

[earnest mode off]

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Red – a truly great post for a sunny Friday!

My kids treat comics like all forms of literature: good is good. Clearly since I read them, they’ve been exposed, but they do not have a particular affinity for the medium.

What do they like?
- Archies! They read bucket loads and still dig ‘em.
- Plastic Man by Jack Cole from the 40s and 50s. They read my Archive versions. Genius stuff by Jack!
- D.C. Thomson from the UK . Beano, Dandy, Dennis the Menace, Beezer… a treasured family tradition via my great-grandfather (from Ducktown, TN) who moved to Chicago and married a lady from Scotland about 100 years ago. Her relatives started sending these books to my great aunt about 60 years ago. Life is full of wonderful happenstances! (In fact these are still so popular my poor nephew has been grounded from reading them until his grades improve, LOL!)

So, we see a common inheritance (or a broadening of the collective unconscious as my French wife would say) and continuation of family traditions which provides satisfaction as a parent!

Even my poor nephew being grounded will be a story around the holiday table for decades to come.

I think these traditions will be so, so important for generations of kids on the internet where everything is virtual and often fleeting.

Disneymarvel said...

Ahhh... the joys of corrupting the next generation of Marvel readers and cartoon watchers.

Since my wife always tells people that I'm the kid whenever asked if we have children, I enjoy being the favorite Uncle to actual nieces and nephews, as well as to children of close friends and family. I'm always anxious to pass along my love of comics and Disney and cartoons.

My sister tells me that my nephew forced himself to learn to read, because he had to figure out which VHS tape contained a collection of Jonny Quest cartoons I had put together from Cartoon Network.

Once I found out he could read, he got Marvel Essentials and other comic collections, so he was hooked. His favorites were Thor & Doctor Strange, so even now that he's almost 30, he got Doctor Strange figures and Thor socks (the ones with the red capes flowing in back) for Christmas. He also got lots of figures and Marvel toy sets for many Christmas and birthday presents. Meanwhile, his sister got hooked on the X-Men and various Disney characters.

When my wife's brother's kids were born 12 years ago - our twin niece & nephew - I got to start all over again and I've created some collecting monsters! We've taken them to Disney parks every odd year - planning another trip to WDW this Christmas - and they love the fact that Unc is a big kid and loves Disney, Marvel, Star Wars and more.

When they were just old enough to go inside a bookstore, I showed them a Marvel book and told them that the Thing was my favorite. The next morning, I was wearing a Marvel t-shirt that featured all of the characters ... and my nephew shocked everyone by running up to me, pointing at my shirt and said, "my favorite ... Thing!" He got a big hug for that!

My nephew loves all the classic Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck cartoon collections, as well as the Marvel Essentials. To keep from filling up his room too much, I give him Heroclix of all his favorite heroes and villains.

My niece likes a lot of the Marvel characters, too, but seems focused on the newer lineup of Squirrel Girl and Ms Marvel.

I have to give one last Disney story about these twins ... When they were about six, we would play with various toys, including a Babblin' Boo doll from Monsters, Inc. Each time they'd go up to the main floor, I'd rearrange the dolls and figures so it looked like they were having a life of their own. The twins would come back down and be amazed that the toys weren't the way they'd left them. They actually got a little upset that the toys, who were obviously playing on their own, wouldn't let them see this. My niece even said, "Don't they know we love them. Why won't they let us see them play?" I explained that, as toys, their job was to be played with, but that they're not allowed to be seen playing on their own. However, I told them, if they my niece & nephew would be real quiet, maybe they'd let them see. Well, we sat on the stairs and looked down on the toys for probably 15 minutes to try to spy some movement. (I think each of them made up a story about seeing some play going on.) I have a picture of them peeking over the railing at the toys below and it's one of my all-time favorite photos.

From that moment on, they've asked for "Boo and the Gang" to come to their house and even to go on trips with us. There have been many very creative 'Camps' made of Boo and the Gang doing lots of things - from Magic Kingdom camps to various movie scene camps to sports camps - and it's made some extremely fun imagination-boosting times together that we'll enjoy talking about for years to come. Even a few weeks ago, we did a superhero camp and made lots of paper cutout costumes for many of their plush figures. One plush even wore sunglasses and a Stan Lee mustache, while another had a Jack Kirby pad and pencil, lording over the scenes. I'm such a proud uncle!

Doug said...

Wonderful stories -- and a heartfelt post. Redartz, I have that little Batman cake topper your son is holding in the photo. And I love the curly hair!

My sons are now 25 and almost-23. They both love the pop culture we all love in the films of Harry Potter, Star Wars, and of course the MCU and X-films (Spidey, too, of course). Only our oldest dabbles in reading comics (mostly in tpb form), but our youngest did enjoy a few trades of Chris Giarusso's Mini-Marvels. Neither of them is excited about the current offerings of Marvel or DC, both preferring older material. Stuck in time like their dad!

Our oldest really got into Marvel Legends. Now it seems kind of silly, he and I on the quest to Wal-Mart or Toys-R-Us and leaving with two of the same figure. We still have a large plastic tub in our basement storage with his figures. I am certain at some point his children will play with them. Can't wait!

Looking forward to reading more from our friends.

Doug

Redartz said...

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments and stories, everyone! I had much more to respond but my phone just erased it all and lunchtime is over. Argh. Will respond later; well done friends!

Redartz said...

Excellent stories, all! You have brought out some sun on this rainy Friday.

HB- love your story. The Fantastic Four, family as they are, would be ideally suited to share at storytime with our families.

Colin J- thanks for the kind cake words! My wife will be all smiles...

David_b and Disneymarvel- very good call. There is much to be said about being that 'special' uncle! And it sounds like you both fit that description well. And Disneymarvel: kudos to your JQ-loving nephew. He has fine taste, JQ is a great enticement to learning reading...

Colin B- great comment regarding the socio-philosophical benefits of reading, and by extension, comics. Indeed, as fun as they are, all those heroic stories can serve up a message of optimism that our world sorely needs. And very cool that your daughter is reading the "Korvac Saga"; let us know how she liked it...

Charlie- you have some fortunate kids! Jack Cole Plastic Man? Now that's raising them on the 'classics'!





Graham said...

I have two daughters, so it was a bit of a challenge. I started out buying them the occasional Power Puff Girls comic book, or Scooby Doo, but both of mine preferred to read regular books in their early school years, so I was afraid that I had failed, but at least they wanted to read.

Then, all the Marvel movies began popping up and they started to go see them with their dear ol' dad, who began to explain from whence these stories came. Soon, they wanted to know more, so I began to pick up a few collected stories from the 60's, 70's, and 80's. After that, they wanted to know more about the DC characters, even though they didn't like those movies as much, so we started delving deeper into DC lore. I'm proud to say that this year for Christmas, I managed to get them both a couple of my favorite collected series.....the Claremont/Miller Wolverine set, the Miller/Romita Jr. Daredevil origin, a couple of collected X-Men series, etc.... It took a while, but never give up on them.

Martinex1 said...

Great stories. I am blessed with two boys who do not really like comics much. Various rubick's cubes, yo-yos, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, all kinds of other books, Minecraft, legos for sure are all enjoyed, but comics are way way down the list. Sometimes apples leap far from the tree. Ha. Maybe someday. My youngest just showed a little interest in a Sonic The Hedgehog comic -so who knows. They like to draw and tell stories so perhaps they will find the commonality at some point, but I enjoy participating in their hobbies. Keeps me young.

Anonymous said...

No kids but I told my nephew he will get my entire comic book collection when I die!

Mike 'last will & testament' from Trinidad & Tobago.

Redartz said...

Graham- good lesson for us all! Persistence and patience go far. Especially encouraging to hear of a couple more potential female comic fans. Love to see the increasing variety of folks looking at comics and tpb's these days.

Marti- sounds like your boys have some imaginative interests; and your participation is rewarding to you all. Doesn't get any better than that!

Mike from T and T- Lucky nephew!

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: