Monday, July 3, 2017

Rank And File: Seeing Red and Enjoying It!





Martinex1: I am partial to a particular color being used for comic character costumes - and that is the color RED!  For some reason if the hero's garb is red, it just jumps out and grabs me.  Without knowing anything about the character, the story, the writing, or even the overall art - a character in a predominantly red uniform captures my eye and my attention.   We talk about covers that made us buy books, well I am here to say that red characters have captured my dollars and cents. 


Today we will rank our top five red-clothed characters.  Plus (if you care to participate) we will list our three worst examples.  This is obviously a purely visceral exercise, so if you are partial to blue, yellow, green,  or purple costumes, feel free to tell us so.


I am sure there are many characters I missed in the selections below (and I purposefully left out Spidey but you can include him if you like), so please make your own additions to the lists if you see fit.   Enjoy the pictures and scroll down for my choices in today's Rank and File!




 
How could we not start with the prime warriors in red - DC's speedster Flash and Marvel's adventurer Daredevil (although Matt Murdock premiered in yellow)?
 Likewise Falcon debuted in green, but quickly changed color schemes.  While Plaz has always been classic in red.



Red Raven has been around since the Golden Age; more recent to the ranks is Deadpool; his costume caught my eye in The New Mutants.

Magneto won't be on my favorite list because in my mind the purple always dominated (I suspect because of the cape).  And just say "no" to Red Hulk!

And then there is the Red Guardian (or Red Guardians)!  I always liked the costume, particularly when the female Red Guardian appeared in the Defenders.



They were of Russian origin, and then later with Alpha Flight there was Guardian and Vindicator who were Canadians.
Early silver age female characters also used the color well; Scarlet Witch of course embraced the shade.  While Medusa prefers purple, her locks definitely define her look.

DC also had Deadman and Adam Strange (both appearing in Strange Adventures) garbed in red.  They remain two of my favorite finds when I first went searching through back issue bins.






 
Captain Marvel - one of the first great super-heroes to jump into the red long johns.  Who can forget the Big Red Cheese?



Although the book was not at the top of the charts, the Human Fly costume is one of my favorite designs from the Bronze Age.  It really jumped off of the covers.
The Wasp changed her costume a lot, but this example from 1979 is eye catching.   Red Wolf  had "red" in his name but it was in a stereotypical way; it would be good to see him return in a modern guise.
 
Whether Jim Hammond or Johnny Storm, the Human Torch always looked good in red.  Johnny adopted the costume during a mid-Bronze Age run in Fantastic Four, and Hammond returned to it in West Coast Avengers. 


And then there are the female powerhouses from the house of ideas and the distinguished competition: Thundra and Wonder Girl
 I much prefer Captain Britain's original fighting togs to his later versions.   When he first met Spider-Man in Marvel Team-Up #65, I had no idea who he was but it did not stop me for an instant from buying the mag.  I think it was his costume that drew me in.
Was Giant Man more noticeable in his red costume?  In The Avengers, he changed rather quickly to his blue and yellow guise as Goliath, but I always look for the red costume and I was glad to see him wearing it in Avengers Academy.  I think it harkens back to his Ant-Man days well.
Ruby Thursday was such an odd character, but who amongst us can forget that red orb for a head?   It was strange and scary and only something that could happen in comics.  I always liked Ruby's self-confidence despite her self-inflicted  odd predicament.  I wonder if we will ever see her in the cinema.
Red Ronin was never much of a character, just a robot shell.  But those few issues of Avengers (issues #197 through #199) were entertaining.

Robin of course had his bright red tunic.  Some of our commenters pointed out that the bright color is counter-intuitive particularly in light of his partner's demeanor and approach to crime fighting.  I think it is bold.  And the character doubles down with his Red Robin persona.  In the above cover, the Avengers highlight a few of their red costumed heroes: the Falcon, the Wasp, Scarlet Witch, and even Simon Williams put on a red safari jacket as Wonder Man.
 The Red Skull is one of the oldest villains in Marvel's sandbox,  I am not a fan.
 And my final examples include the wondrous Spider-Woman and the android Red Tornado.
So now it is time to share my top five red-costumed characters; without further ado:

1) Deadman: his look is classic particularly how it contrasts the white ghostly skin and the blood red costume.  It doesn't hurt that Neal Adams rendered him so well.
2) Daredevil: In a box containing dozens of random comics from a cousin, I can recall gravitating to the bright red yet mysterious Daredevil.  With the horns of his namesake and the slight DD on his chest, the costume is a winner.
3) Captain Britain: I like the mask.  I like the iconic complexity.   I like the contrast.   I wish they never changed it. 
4) Human Torch: Flame on or flame off, I always liked the Torch's appearances, but when Johnny Storm decided to wear red I thought it was a cool homage to the WWII version and the stamp of individualism that Johnny needed.
5) Adam Strange:  I actually still know very little about this character beyond the basics, but every time I see his spacefaring suit I have to flip through the book.

And because I get to decide the rules, here is one outlier and honorable mention that I think deserves attention:

6*) Human Fly:  For a book that had so little going for it (a licensed property mimicking the exploits of real life stuntman with some shaky art) the design is spectacular.  Maybe it is nostalgic but I like everything about it, from the crosshairs across the full face mask to the rocket on the belt buckle.

And the worst of all of the "red" related characters (in no particular order):

A) Red Wolf:  I know he should not be on this list as his color scheme is not red, but Marvel has a lot of potential in this Native American character and I would like to see him return, but revamp him entirely and give him some powers and attributes that are not simplistic caricatures.  For one thing, give him a red costume.
B) Red Hulk: I may not have minded the character if it wasn't a retread of so many other Hulk characters from the Abomination to Doc Samson to the "Rick" Hulk.  Another gamma irradiated behemoth.  This time it is Thunderbolt Ross and he is red!  Big deal.
C) Red Skull:  It is time to put this creep to bed.  I know he is Captain America's nemesis, but this character needs to be thrown in a maximum security prison and never seen again simply because he is a Nazi.   His motivations are rooted in things too horrifically real.  I don't want to read about him.  I definitely cannot empathize with him.  And I've had enough of him.  Capture him and charge him with war crimes and move on. 

On that rather serious note, let's hear what you have to say.  Who are your favorite characters that wear red and why?  Rank them for us and let's compare notes.   If you prefer a different color let us know that too.  Take the conversation where you see fit and let's discuss all aspects of costuming today.  We are seeing red at BitBA; how about you?

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Deadpool - I liked him before the film came out.
2) Doctor Strange - he wore a red cloak and that huge red collar thingy (but the modern version of Dr. Strange wears a blue cloak and no collar).
3) Spider-Woman.
4) Daredevil.
5) Original Captain Britain - I too preferred his original costume. And last Thursday (June 29th) was exactly 40 years since the final issue of the Captain Britain UK weekly.

Honorable mentions:

Scarlet Witch.
Human Fly because I owned Human Fly #1.
Mephisto.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

It is the dog days of summer. May I suggest l "Clifford the Big Red Dog?" Many hours of entertainment for me and the kids!

William said...

I'm the same way. My overall favorite color has always been green, but my favorite color for superhero costumes is definitely red. Since I was a kid I've always been drawn to the heroes who sport a mostly crimson costume.

It looks like you left out Marvel's Captain Marvel and the original Ant-Man (two of my favorites).

My Top 5:

1. Daredevil - One of the best superhero costume designs of all time.

2. The Flash - See above.

3. Plastic Man - Even as a kid I always thought his costume was so oddly original and cool.

4. Ant-Man - Original Hank Pym or Scott Lang.

5. Captain Marvel and Captain Marvel - It's a tie between the Marvel and DC/Fawcett versions.


Bottom 3:

1. The original Green Lantern - I could never understand why he had a red shirt, and a big purple cape, when he was called "Green" Lantern.

2. Red Tornado - It's a weird costume with the yellow stripes, and the buccaneer boots, and the blue cape, and it isn't very aerodynamic looking for a guy with tornado powers.

3. Deadpool - Even though it's kind of a cool costume, it's really pretty generic looking. Plus that costume design is partly responsible for the unnecessary pouches and straps craze of the 1990's.

I was tempted to put The Scarlet Spider on one of my lists, but I can't decide if that costume is really terrible or really awesome. Whatever the case, I've always liked it.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Also since it is Canada's 150th birthday, may I add Dudley Do Right the worlds greatest Mounty?!

Anonymous said...

Another red character - Devil Dinosaur !

david_b said...

And don't forget Mad Magazine's Captain Klutz.. red long-underwear, indeed...

I'd probably go with William's list above. Adding perhaps Roy Harper as Speedy, since Wally was a pretty-even blend of yellow and red as Kid Flash..

Certainly I'd agree with Daredevil's mono-red uniform.., it's an eye-catcher on the comic stands back in the late Silver/Early Bronze period although Natasha's catsuit didn't harm any eyes either.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Oh my gosh! How could I forget "Underdog'"during these dog days of summer???

Killraven said...

Oh so many to choose from.

1. Adam Strange- Love that outfit since I first saw it in JLA #120

2. Angel- During his Champions run. It mesmerized me against those large white wings.

3. Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell)- Starlin goodness.

4. Sunfire- Very cool!

5. Guardian- James Hudson, there's that red and whit contrast again.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

How could I forget Klondike Kat and "Savoir Faire is Everywhere???!!!" Beautiful red costumes!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

And for our UK contingent let's not forget Dennis the Menace, Billy Whizz, and Rodger the Dodger!!' So funny in red!!!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

And for you Ralph Bakshi fans let's not forget Strong Man and Cuckoo Man from Mighty Heroes!!! How I remember that show is beyond me, lol!

Martinex1 said...

Great comments all. I too like Angel in his red and white garb. Sunfire for sure had a great look. And how could I forget Devil Dinosaur - yeah that is an obvious one- probably should have made my best list. Colin, I am glad I am not the only one who likes Captain Britain's original duds. William you are absolutely correct on the original Green Lantern - his costume made no sense at all. CH47 - keep 'em coming; don't forget Hot Stuff and Wendy. And david_b I think Captain Klutz deserves a post all his own. And Captain Canuck too.

Redartz said...

Charlie- excellent!!! Loved the "Mighty Heroes".

All my faves have been listed (Deadman tips the list), so here are a few more...

Forbush Man (with those red long johns)
Hot Stuff, the little devil
Stingray (a very cool costume)

Martinex1 said...

Ayayay. How could I have forgotten Stingray - one of my all time favorite designs. Thanks Red.

It seems like red and white, or red and yellow are great combinations but the white combo seems quite common.

Mike Wilson said...

What, no love for the Red Bee?

But seriously, I'd probably go with Spidey, DD, Thundra, Wonder Girl, and ... Mary Jane Watson!

As for worst, I don't know ... I always thought Human Fly looked like a goof, even though he was based on a real guy.

Garett said...

I love red costumes! My top: Flash, Daredevil, Shazam, Wonder Girl. Also for Canada, Guardian/Vindicator gets the nod over Captain Canuck, as I like his off-centre maple leaf.

Charlie Horse 47 said...


Lastly, I’d like to throw out Crimson Dynamo. He was another “Red” (political pun intended) like Titanium Man who had to show the West that communists were superior.

(Red – do you recall watching Mighty Heroes also? It’s from like 1966. I was only 5 years old and of course was watching in black and white on like a 24” screen, lol! I recall Diaper Man letting out this big cry / scream which rendered everyone useless analogous to the Sour Grapes girls on the Banana Splits Show! B.t.w. a Mighty Heroes comic book was released 15 (?) years ago. Did you see it? Rope Man was my favorite of the bunch.)

Anonymous said...

Red Sonja !!

Humanbelly said...

I'm not particularly enamored of red costumes, but there sure are some good ones, yep. And it seems like most of our tastes run toward simpler, classic designs, don't they? From what's been offered here, I'd rattle off Flash, Daredevil, Deadman, and Adam Strange almost immediately. And then include Scott Lang's Ant-Man (although the helmet is the hook for that outfit, I think) and then that brief period pre-Yellowjacket but post-gold/blue-Goliath when Hank Pym's Goliath togs were red (like Giant-Man's), but with the gold stripe and golden goggles of the recent Goliath look. That was really an excellent look, but fate didn't grant it much longevity.

Red Hulk is the worst thing ever. Geeze, I think there's a Red She-Hulk as well. Dreadful.

Didn't the X-Men/X-Force have a couple of other Red characters? Erik (or Eric) the Red? And. . . some forgettable bozo from the Liefeld years?

HB

Redartz said...

Charlie- yes, I well recall the Mighty Heroes. Watched them afternoons on our local station. Tornado Man was my favorite: "Wiiiiinnnnd!". And the villains were appropriately creepy: the Monsterizer, the Scarecrow, the Frog, etc. And they're on YouTube! I watch a couple now and then...

Edo Bosnar said...

Coming in to this one late just to say that the Wasp costume you featured is by far, bar none, my absolute favorite outfit she ever wore - I know her frequent costume changes became a feature of the character, but if she had stuck with that one permanently from that point on, I would have been happy. (Also, that Avengers cover from the Nights of Wundagore arc is one of my favorite covers ever).

By the way, the latest iteration of Red Wolf (from about a year and a half ago) has a very different look. Not to toot my own horn, but I know the artist on that mini-series, Dalibor Talajic. I was talking to him about it once, saying it's too bad he doesn't have the wolf-head any more, to which he replied that it would have been a pain to draw that thing in almost every panel...

Warren JB said...

If you 'just say no' to Jeff Parker's run on the Red Hulk, you're missing some of the best-written comics at the time. I've heard the 'it's just another hulk but it's red and it's Ross' excuse before, which is completely missing the point and an awfully narrow way of looking at the characters, defining them just by their powers or how they got them. Who ever said 'I hate this Spider-Man guy because all he does is stick to walls'? Who ever said 'I won't read this new comic because the character's an alien who came to Earth - it's just another Superman'?

I'd say 'it's another hulk but this time it's Ross' is exactly why you should read it, after Jeff Parker picked up the ruins of the character from where Loeb left them to rot, and dusted them off. It's Ross as a Hulk, not just another Jekyll/Hyde thing like Banner. He's finally the monster he's always hunted and apparently always wanted to be, and he's forced to feel what it's like to be incarcerated, mistrusted, and persecuted by the military. He reacts to it in his way, not in Banner's or Hulk's. He's forced to look at his life, how to go about redeeming it, how to build a new life as a hulk, and how to rely on a very different set of allies.

Jeff Parker does a brilliant job with it.

Martinex1 said...

Warren JB you may be correct and I should read that entire Parker run. What you describe seems to have some merit. But I also do steer away from repetitive and derivative characters; most of the time they are quite weak and barely fleshed out beyond some surface attributes. The onslaught of Spider-Women over the years, the various Captain Marvels, etc. combined with the decompressed and stretched stories wore me out. And then there is Rick-Hulk and Amadeus Cho-Hulk and Red She-Hulk etc. Admittedly I only read a couple of Red Hulk issues and was not particularly intrigued, but I'm not sure who wrote those specific issues; I will have to review and consider an extended look based on your recommendation. Cheers.

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: