Saturday, May 12, 2018

Chew the Fat: Writers to the Rescue...


Redartz: Recently our friend Marti guided us through a discussion on comics that had "jumped the shark". That led me to wonder, have there been instances where  you have given up on a title, only to be pulled back into it by  irresistibly skilled writing? Have you found yourself losing interest in a title or character, disillusioned by (in your opinion) less-than-ideal stories, only to find your interest revived by a new hand on the typewriter? Let's consider those writers who have 'rescued' some fading books.

The example I provide today is Amazing Spider-man. Most of you are aware that the web-slinger has always been my favorite character, and his signature title was the highlight of my collecting. Over many years and through many creative teams, I followed Peter Parker's adventures each and every month. However there was one Bronze age period in which buying and reading the book became a chore for me. I had (and still have) great respect for Denny O'neil, but I found his tenure on ASM difficult to enjoy (with the definite exception to his two excellent Spider-Man Annuals). 

In my opinion, the scripts were a bit flat, and the familiar cast of characters didn't sound quite right. Worse, some of the stories just struck me as silly; particularly the "Fusion- the Twin Terror" book and the blending of Sandman and Hydro-Man ("Here's mud in your eye, Spidey"- to someone who grew up reading the drama produced by Stan Lee, Gerry Conway and Len Wein, it just felt wrong. As the months passed, I considered the option of dropping the title completely. 







But events soon changed my outlook, or rather, a writer. That writer was Roger Stern. I'd followed and loved his work on "Spectacular Spider-man", and often pined that it was a better book than ASM. So when Sterno made the switch over to the banner title, I was thrilled. And I wasn't disappointed, either- tales with Black Cat, landmark stories with the Vulture, a cool Foolkiller story, and some notable issues involving Juggernaut. 





Oh, and there was this Hobgoblin fellow, too. And topping off Stern's tenure, in my opinion, was his truly excellent story "The Kid who Collects Spider-Man". A story I consider to be, arguably, the best single Spidey story ever...



In short- what a turnaround.  Roger Stern reignited the fires of my interest in the book, and kept it at the top of my purchase list. Which, of course, is the point of a good comic- keep 'em coming back for more.

Now then, it's time for your input. What books were on your 'endangered list', only to be saved by the intervention of a stellar scripter? Go ahead and chew the fat...

10 comments:

J.A. Morris said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
J.A. Morris said...

I agree with you on the Denny O'Neil run, it's one of the low points of the Silver & Bronze Age for Spider-Man. However, 204 was the first issue I began collecting ASM (that was the end of Wolfman's run),so I'll always have some sentimental attachment to the O'Neil stories. However, the 3-part Frightful Four story (213-215) was an entertaining arc. And 216, when Spider-Man is trying to prevent a shooting during the New York Marathon, was an interesting "offbeat," adventure that featured no super-villains.

Otherwise, not much to write home about, I won't be purchasing the "Marvel Masterworks" reprint of those stories, which will be published later this year:
http://www.collectededitions.com/marvel/mm/spidey/asm_mm20.html

Martinex1 said...

Stern definitely did a great job with ASM. Following the Juggernaut story were issues featuring Cobra and Mr. Hyde. I really enjoyed that story; a hidden gem.

Stern also salvaged the Avengers for me. The book struggled in the 200s until Stern came along. That was later bolstered further when John Buscema partnered with him for the art.

I love the Thing but Marvel Two-In-One was a bit hit and miss for the first 50 issues or so until Mark Gruenwald took over. Project Pegasus was a classic of course but the writing continued to be quite good for a number of issues after with Gruenwald writing (sometimes partnered with Ralph Macchio).

People give Frank Miller a lot of credit for Daredevil’s success as they should, but I was brought back to Daredevil when Roger McKenzie started writing around issue 152, after a rather lackluster run of DD books. I think McKenzie really started turning the book around and I give him a lot of credit for starting to change the tone.



J.A. Morris said...

I tend to be more interested in artists than writers, but Claremont taking over writing Marvel Team-Up made that series a lot better. It felt like a series that was worthy of starring Marvel's most popular character. Sure, some of his issues are helped by the presence of John Byrne's pencils, but even Claremont's post-Byrne MTU stories are pretty good.

Mike Wilson said...

I agree on Stern, he was great. I think Daredevil was close to cancellation when Miller took over. I personally like the Wein/Conway/Moench runs on Batman and Detective ... much better than what came immediately before.

Redartz said...

J.A.- Your comments regarding the Frightful Four story give me pause; perhaps some of these issues would read better now (I never reread any of them after the initial reading years ago). Often a comic we recall fondly reads even better today; would the same hold true for books we didn't care much for at the time? Hmmmmm.....

Marti- good call on the Avengers. As you note, Stern put some life back in that book as well. Also,I fully agree with your praise for Roger Mckenzie on Daredevil. The book made great strides both with story and art.

Mike W.- Glad you mentioned some DC books. Those earlier Batman and Detective stories escaped my notice back then, but the Wein, Conway, Moench (and I'd add Englehart) books were solid reads...

William said...

When I look back now at my collecting habits in my younger days, I have come to realize that I was/am an unabashed and unapologetic huge John Byrne fan. I know this by realizing that whenever John Byrne took over a book, as writer or artist or both (usually both) I would start reading that book until he left, and then I would often leave as well.

Since we are talking about writers today, I will list the books that John Byrne wrote that I started reading when he started writing them (and in most cases drawing them as well), and stayed with until he left.

1. Fantastic Four
2. Superman
3. Alpha Flight
4. West Coast Avengers
5. Namor
6. Incredible Hulk

To name a few off the top of my head.

I was not a regular reader of any of those titles immediately before Byrne started writing (and drawing) them. But I started faithfully buying them after he came on board. And when he left those books I soon followed. Some I dropped immediately and others I tried to stick it out with for a few issues, but I usually gave up after a short while.

Edo Bosnar said...

Roger Stern is the guy who immediately comes to mind as a 'rescue' writer, and personally Avengers is the first book I think of in that context. Martinex is certainly right that he salvaged it, as the title was really languishing for almost a good two years before he took the reins. The stories immediately jumped in quality, and he eventually led the title back to greatness.
I'm also pleased that Martinex noted Roger McKenzie's role in Daredevil's turnaround. People often forget that pretty much the entire first year of what is now known as Miller's first run was actually written by McKenzie.
Another obvious example that comes to mind is Walt Simonson taking over both the writing and art on Thor, which instantaneously turned it into a top-tier series.

Killraven said...

I agree with Matinex on Gruenwald's MTIO run. And agree with J.A on Claremont's MTU run.
I'm sure I would also be in total agreement wit William's Byrne list but other than the very beginning of his FF run I was out of comics. Of course I did pick them up decades later and love 'em!

The Defenders stories had gotten to a point where they were ok but nothing too memorable. David Kraft started writing them and I had a lot of fun with some of those stories. Defenders became one of my "could not wait for it" books for a good while.

Killraven said...

Oh, I forgot. Talking of Stern.
His writing and Stern/Byrne co plotting of Captain America for too short of a run, really made that comic fun to read again.

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: