Monday, May 14, 2018

Chew the Fat: Comic Books as the Source Material!


Note: In the following discussion, there may be some slight SPOILERS to the recent superhero movies, particularly Avengers:Infinity War.  We will try to steer clear of any major revelations, but if you are sensitive to any "spoilery" activity or images please tread cautiously.   This topic is not about the movie plots specifically but about the influences from comic books on specific shots or scenes in the movies.

Martinex1: As I've watched recent Marvel movies including Thor: Ragnarok, Black Panther, and Avengers: Infinity War, I have noticed scenes or images that had to be influenced from comics from the Silver and Bronze ages.  Surely there have always been key plot points that follow the tracks of the comics; even lesser movies like The Fantastic Four have had to rely on the source material to tell the story.   Today I am talking about something perhaps more subtle in the movies - the brief instances that cause a bit of deja vu.  A character says or acts in a way that really reflects his comic book personality, or a glimpse of a setting seems to have jumped off of a comic panel, or a bit of action could have come from a comic cover - these are the things I am referring to.  

Sometimes the thought that pops into my head is not even related to the specific series that the movie is based on.  Why would the Avengers remind me of an obscure DC issue?  Or why would Thor seem like another character entirely?  Today let's explore and discuss the influence of comics in general as a source to the movies.

I started thinking about this a few days ago when I posted on our Twitter account that often (specifically in Thor: Ragnarok) Thor seemed more like Hercules from the comic books.  His joy of life and humor and eagerness to jump into battle seemed more like Herc than the sometimes thoughtful and brooding Thor from the comics. Even when dealing with tragedy, the Thor of the movies is less full of vengeance and more accepting and optimistic about the future.  Also some comic images came to my mind.  Thor has partaken in his share of beer and mead, but Hercules always seemed more the reveler.  And a very brief glimpse of Thor on Grandmaster's homeworld reminded me of the cover of Bob Layton's Hercules comic.  Take a look...

 

Now I admit that can be total coincidence, but it goes to show how influential comics can be on the cinematic art or at the very least how pervasive they can be to my interpretation of the film.

In Infinity War, Captain America's brief confrontation of Thanos had to be based on the scenes from the Jim Starlin and Ron Lim comics.  Even though Cap was not in his classic togs with his iconic shield and there was little or no dialog during the fight, there was just that glimmer of idealism and strength that Cap exudes while confronting unbeatable odds.  The directors captured that courage and strength of conviction well.


 Thematically, that is pretty on the nose.  But for something a little more obscure take a look at the final images from Thor: Ragnarok.  The Asgardians evacuate in a giant ship only to be dwarfed by something much larger and ominous.  Here is a look at that parting shot.

The escape craft is in the foreground and behind it is a monstrosity that practically blocks out the stars.  Does that seem familiar to you?   Well it did to me!  It reminded me specifically of Avengers Volume 1 Issue # 167, in which the S.H.I.E.L.D Helicarrier and Nick Fury call the Avengers for help.  The team views the Hellicarrier on their video monitor but there seems to be no sky behind the ship; they pan out to reveal the gigantic ship Drydock which is occupied by the Guardians of the Galaxy.  The comic does not have Asgardians or Thanos in it, but I have to believe the below George Perez image was referenced.

My final example is rather random in that it has no story connection to the Infinity War, the Avengers, the Black Order or any specifics of the movie story,  But when I saw the giant alien wheels unleashed on the warriors and team in Wakanda during the climactic battle, I immediately thought of the Blackhawk comic and the frequent appearances of the Warwheel.






Boy, that crazy thing sure made a lot of appearances (and even in re-crafted covers).  It may have no connection whatsoever to the movie, but it was the first thing that popped into my head when seeing the scene on the silver screen.

So that type of connection is what I would like us to chat about today.  Let's Chew the Fat! What do you think about my examples, and what other instances in recent films had you excited because of their reference and recognizable nature?  Cheers!

10 comments:

Doug said...

I had no idea on the War Wheel. Outstanding research, as always.

When Infinity War was just ahead of actual filming, I recall see a tweet with a pic of the Infinity Gauntlet tpb. That thing must have had 100 dog-eared pages and/or post-it notes on it/in it. I really think the MCU folks have done their homework.

Doug

Anonymous said...


Well this gives me a chance to shoe-horn in a comment I would've made for the Infinity War post...let's see if I could do it without spoilers.

Many commented about a certain out-of-left-cameo from an established villain that they felt didn't really add anything, but I loved it specifically for its comic book resonance.

Thanos and this particular villain are the two bad guys I most associate with a particular weapon that's been central to many MCU films. While I don't think they'd ever met in the comic books (at least not the Bronze Age ones) their interaction in the latest Avengers felt like a really neat bridge between two iconic bad guys linked by an iconic bad guy weapon. It's not a direct nod to "source material" but for me it certainly triggered some fanboy recognition.

But that's just me. Actually my favourite part of these Marvel movies is when they pair up characters that I'd never seen together before (still love that Hulk vs. Fenris fight in Thor: Ragnarok).

Closer to the topic of comic book echoes, speaking of Thor: Ragnarok, I'm sure I wasn't the only person who smiled when Executioner brandishes his two machine guns he acquired in Texas. Every fan of Thor #362 anxiously anticipated where that was going..!

-david p.


Martinex1 said...

David P. I think you make a very valid point about that villain. I was one who was opposed to the appearance, but your take on it may sway me.

Also, I too enjoyed Skurge in that moment.

Mike Wilson said...

Yeah, I didn't even realize who "that villain" was until later; I just assumed it was Death ... or maybe he is the embodiment of Death now? (Yes, I finally saw the movie, and yes I liked it.)

For me, the scene where Hulk crashes through Dr. Strange's roof reminded me of a similar scene in Infinity Gauntlet #1 when Silver Surfer crashed through the roof of the Sanctum. There are some differences, but the overall scene (and the "Thanos is coming" dialogue) resonated for me.

P.S. Not to bring everyone down, but it looks like Margot Kidder has died; too bad, she was a pretty good Lois Lane.

Redartz said...

Good topic, Marti; the attention to detail these films exhibit is a big part of why I enjoy them so.

And although a particular MCU example currently escapes me, I'll wander outside the parameters with a DC television example. A couple seasons ago, on CW's "Flash", they introduced Jay Garrick (the Golden Age Flash). In that episode they framed a particular scene with the two Flashes on opposite sides of a wall. The setup was obviously, and endearingly, an homage to the cover of Flash 123 , the classic "Flash of Two Worlds". It was quick (appropriately), but very cool.

The Prowler said...

Some of the things I loved about Infinity War, Comic Book Edition:

I loved, LOVED, that they had the Guardians find Thor floating in space!!! Such a cool callback to their first meeting in Thor Annual 6! Straight up comic book.

The way the two groups of heroes fought each other until they realized they were on the same side!!! Classic.

One that I think they got wrong, SO WRONG, it hurt!!! Lady Sif, as long time Thor readers know, has by her birthright, the power to move people through time and space. In other words, what Heimdahl did to Banner, that's Lady Sif's power.

(I heard the men saying something
The captains tell they pay you well
And they say they need sailing men to
Show the way, and leave today
Was it you that said, "How long, how long?"

They say the sea turns so dark that
You know it's time, you see the sign
They say the point demons guard is
An ocean grave, for all the brave,
Was it you that said, "How long, how long,
How long to the point of know return?"

Your father, he said he needs you
Your mother, she says she loves you
Your brothers, they echo your words:
"How far to the point of know return?"
"Well, how long?"

Today I found a message floating
In the sea from you to me
It said that when you could see it
You cried with fear, the Point was near
Was it you that said, "How long, how long
To the Point of Know Return?)




Martinex1 said...

Prowl, I really liked that Guardians and Thor moment as well. It was so great to see that replayed on the screen. In and of itself that scene also has a bit of a callback to Captain America being found by the Avengers.

Great call on that.

Martinex1 said...

And Red - that was a perfect Flash moment. It was well done and simple enough for those in the know without being distracting.

Anonymous said...


I didn't mention it earlier but just wanted to chime in and say I totally thought of Avengers #167 during this Avengers movie. I thought the chaos and panic from the giant spaceship was heralding the arrival of the Guardians, similar to their big Perez entrance in the comic referenced above (come to think of it, the Starjammer also freaked out the city when it showed up in X-Men #156...then there's the first appearance of Galactus...New York has a habit of being overwhelmed by gargantuan spacecraft filling up the sky...)

And I can't believe I didn't catch the echoes of Thor Annual #6, one of my favourite comics as a kid. It didn't even dawn on me that both the annual and the movie were showing the historic first meeting between Thor and the Guardians. Although, to be fair, the two teams of Guardians have totally different rosters...they've even got an Avenger on the cinematic team, for crying out loud (thankfully Mantis doesn't use the "this one" verbal tic onscreen).

-david p.

Anonymous said...

In Black Panther, two scenes spring to mind: 1) BP vs. Killmonger at the waterfall was straight out of the McGregor/Buckler/Graham classic, "Panther's Rage." When Erik hoisted T'Challa over his head and threw him over the falls, my mind flashed to the (b&w version of) panel from the comics; 2) the scenes in S. Korea, in which BP & the Dora Milaje fight thugs in a city environment and used their tech to walk up buildings, seemed inspired by similar scenes in the Priest/Texiera Black Panther series.

(Former Bronze Age Babies reader/commenter here. It's been awhile people. How's it going? I've been looking through the older posts- awesome job, everyone!)

- Mike Loughlin

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: