Sunday, September 10, 2017

Sunday Rerun: Remembering (and the inability to forget) Theme Songs!





Martinex1:  Stay strong Florida! The whole country is behind you today.

Here is another golden oldie from September 17th, 2015 and the grand Bronze Age Babies site, when Redartz pondered television theme music.  Enjoy!


(BAB 9.17.15) Redartz: Good day, all!  Before we start, let me issue a proactive apology: if this topic has been covered previously here, you may all grant me 10 demerits.  Memory can be a nebulous thing, but this subject is (hopefully) a bit of fun. Therefore, here goes...




Television Theme Music! The tuneful introductions that open, and often close, our favorite programs; the variety here is as wide as the variety in the shows themselves. Some featured spoken introductions, such as Rod Serling's classic “Twilight Zone” intro. Others were sung, ballad style: think “Gilligan's Island” or “The Beverly Hillbillies”. Some were purely instrumental, as in “Hill Street Blues” and “The Bob Newhart Show”. Some even impacted the public consciousness enough to earn a spot on the Billboard Pop Singles charts (Mike Post's theme from “The Rockford Files”, as well as his above-mentioned “Hill Street Blues” each reached number 10, while “S.W.A.T.” and “Miami Vice” both reached number 1!).

As a boy, the “Batman” theme would get me stoked  for the “wham, pow” adventures soon to be filling our black-and-white console screen. In my teens, Cindi Grecco”s “Making Our Dreams Come True” (Laverne and Shirley, of course!) would bring a smile of anticipation for the impending laugh fest. A good theme song will stick in your mind; certainly a show's creators hope this is the case. Often a theme song becomes so indelibly linked with it's show; just hearing a few notes will bring the  program to mind. Angelo Badalamente's theme from “Twin Peaks” always does this for me; it so perfectly evoked the mysterious, somewhat creepy feel of the show. With all this in mind, here are a few of my favorite theme songs:

Jonny Quest Theme: greatest Saturday morning show theme from arguably the greatest Saturday morning adventure show.


Lost in Space: John Williams provides this memorable winner.


Barnaby Jones: a bit obscure, but a very cool theme tune...



By the way, the CD cover presented above is representative of a series of such collections issued by TeeVee Tunes. The first collections were released originally on vinyl; and were among the last LPs I bought before converting to digital. These CDs are a great source of television themes, ranging from the late 40s up to the 90s ( and a great party soundtrack: at college we played the first collection at a weekend fest, everyone had a blast trying to identify the associated programs and singing along with the lyrics). I'd say a few of the recordings may be remakes, but most are the original versions we knew and recognized.

So, here is my first question to you: What theme songs are your favorites? Which ones are most memorable, which are excruciating to hear even today? Feel free to make your lists!

Incidentally,  there were also the variety shows (I sorely miss those...), whose hosts often had their own theme song: Dean Martin and “Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime”, or Sonny and Cher signing off each show with “ I've Got You, Babe”. This brings us to our second question today:  imagine you are starring in a show based upon your life . What would be your theme song? What song would be playing as you enter the room, take the stage and let the world see who you are?

Again, to get things rolling, here is my personal theme song: Thomas Dolby's “ She Blinded Me With Science” (don't ask; suffice it to say the song reflects my interests, and my nerdish nature; as my wife nods in agreement...).

10 comments:

Steve Does Comics said...

Let's see. Some of these are no doubt completely unknown outside of Britain but I'm not going to let that stop me.

Space:1999.

Doctor Who.

The Persuaders.

Timeslip.

Thunderbirds.

UFO.

The Tomorrow People.

Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads?

The World at War

X-Files

Star Trek

The Odd Couple



Interestingly, most of these are sci-fi shows. Clearly, there's something about sci-fi that gets a composer's creative juices flowing.

Steve Does Comics said...

And M*A*S*H

And The Sweeney.

The Prowler said...

Firstly, and I feel I've made this comment before, The Brady Bunch!?! WTF!?! No mention of Alice? She's the center square!!! Gilligan's Island went from "and the rest" to "the Professor and Mary Ann" but the Brady Bunch never went back to include Alice? It's never the wrong time to do the right thing.... Just saying.

To get into more "Contemporary" theme songs, I'll give the lyrics, when available, you see if you can name the show....

"Who can it be, believe it or not, it's just me..."

"So no one told you life was going to be this way..."

"When I wake up in the morning
And the 'larm gives out a warning
I don't think I'll ever make it on time
By the time I grab my books,
And I give myself a look,
I'm at the corner just in time to see the bus fly by..."

" (No lyrics because it's a show about nothing) "

"Tell me why, I love you like I do. Tell me who, can stop my heart as much as you"

"... the people are real. The cases are real. The rulings are FINAL!"

"In the Criminal Justice System, the people are represented by two separate, yet equally important, groups."

Now to break away and get slightly off topic, Cameron Crowe had written a screenplay, a love story, about two mismatched people meeting and falling in love. He went to the Smithereens asking them to write "The Song" for the movie. Not being familiar with Movie Songs, they read the script and wrote "A Girl Like You", presenting the finished product to Crowe. He listened. Reportedly, he responded, "If I use this song, no one will need to see the movie, everything that happens is in the movie." Nancy Wilson's All For Love replaced "A Girl Like You" and Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes" became the hit.


Have a nice day...




From here on the Texas Gulf Coast to all my peeps in Florida, "Good Luck"!


"When the sun comes up on a sleepy little town
Down around San Antone
And the folks are risin' for another day
'Round about their homes
The people of the town are strange
And they're proud of where they came
Well, you're talkin' 'bout China Grove
Oh, China Grove

Well, the preacher and the teacher
Lord, they're a caution
They are the talk of the town
When the gossip gets to flyin'
And they ain't lyin'
When the sun goes fallin' down

They say that the father's insane
And dear Missus Perkin's a game
We're talkin' 'bout the China Grove
Oh, China Grove

But every day there's a new thing comin'
The ways of an oriental view
The sheriff and his buddies
With their samurai swords
You can even hear the music at night

And though it's a part of the Lone Star State
People don't seem to care
They just keep on lookin' to the East

Talkin' 'bout the China Grove
Oh, China Grove".

Martinex1 said...

Steve those are great additions particularly Star Trek and Odd Couple. I honestly don't know what UFO and Timeslip are. I am going to have to look those up.

Prowl - I only know about half of the show themes and the ones I know I knew immediately. There are a few I am really stumped on though. The alarm clock and bus one - I have no idea but will probably slap my head when it is revealed. I definitely know the movie though!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Andy Griffith, I Dream of Jeannie are the only two that I "frequently" whistle to, for no apparent reason.

Steve DDC - your mention of "The World at War" was most profound for me. The show was a favorite of my father and mine. Every Sunday, late afternoon, during the bad weather (in Chicago from October - April) we'd watch for a few years like 1974 - 76.

Anyhow, I can't think of a more emotive theme song. When it suddenly jumps up an octave (?) when it shows the picture of the child... stirs my soul. And to have Sir Laurence Olivier introducing each show before the theme song starts... Truly, truly unforgettable and emotive. Thanks for the memory!

The Prowler said...

The ones from above are, in order:

The Greatest American Hero

Friends

Saved By The Bell (Guilty pleasure, Tiffani Amber Thiessen!!!)

Seinfeld

The People's Court

Law & Order (Just wondering, did Law & Order UK have spoken intro?)

Here's a few more:

"Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when they come for you"

"Now the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you might not be right for some...."

"Love and marriage, love and marriage,
Go together like a horse and carriage.
This I tell ya, brother, you can't have one without the other."

"In between the lines there’s a lot of obscurity
I’m not inclined to resign to maturity
If it’s all right, then you’re all wrong
Why bounce around to the same damn song
You’d rather run when you can’t crawl

I know you know that I’m not telling the truth
I know you know they just don’t have any proof
Embrace the deception, learn how to bend
Your worst inhibitions tend to psych you out in the end

I know, you know
I know, you know."

"In west Philadelphia born and raised
On the playground was where I spent most of my days
Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool
And all shooting some b-ball outside of the school
When a couple of guys who were up to no good
Started making trouble in my neighborhood
I got in one little fight and my mom got scared
She said, "You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air."

"Thank you for being a friend. Travelled down the road and back again.
You're heart is true, you're a friend and a confidant."

"It's a jungle out there. Disorder and confusion everywhere. No one seems to care. Well I do. Hey, who's in charge here? It's a jungle out there..."

Have fun with those...


(

I really hate to let this moment go
Touching your skin, and your hair falling slow
When a goodbye kiss, feels like this

Don't you wanna stay here a little while?
Don't you wanna hold each other tight?
Don't you wanna fall asleep with me tonight?

Don't you wanna stay here a little while?
We can make forever feel this way
Don't you wanna stay?

Let's take it slow, I don't wanna move too fast
I don't wanna just make love, I wanna make love last
When you're up this high, it's a sad goodbye

Don't you wanna stay here a little while?
Don't you wanna hold each other tight?
Don't you wanna fall asleep with me tonight?
Don't you wanna stay here a little while?
We can make forever feel this way
Don't you wanna stay?

Oh yeeah

Oh, you feel so perfect, baby
Yeah, you feel so perfect, baby

Don't you wanna stay here a little while?

Don't you wanna stay here a little while?
Don't you wanna hold each other tight?
Don't you wanna fall asleep with me tonight?
Don't you wanna stay here a little while?
We can make forever feel this way
Don't you wanna stay?)

Martinex1 said...

Len Wein - one of the notable writers from the Bronze Age of comics - has passed away. Our condolences to his family and friends.

Edo Bosnar said...

Up late strung out because I was doing some work all night to get ahead of what's going to be a busy week, and just saw the news about Wein's untimely passing pop up at several comics-related sites. Very sad news indeed. He was truly one of the giants in the field, with an outsized influence as both a writer and editor.

Redartz said...

Hi gang, sorry to have been absent for a couple days; two very crazy hectic full insanely busy long days. Anyway...

Steve DC- great list of themes. Space:199 and X-Files are two of my favorites as well...

Prowl- great idea, using the lyrics! Excellent. As for your second list: Cops, Diff'rent Strokes, Married With Children, several I don't know and Golden Girls, and another I don't know. But again, love your idea here. Mind if we make use of this from time to time?

And finally, very sorry to hear about Len Wein. A great, talented writer; responsible for many hours of fine reading. Sympathies and condolences to his family and friends. Thanks Len, you were a big part of what made the Bronze age world so special.

The Prowler said...

The complete list for the second set:

Cops

Different Strokes

Married With Children

Psych

Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air

Golden Girls

Monk...


You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: