Thursday, September 21, 2017

Rank and File: Six Marvel Characters That Deserved Bronze Age Embracing!


Martinex1: I read an article from the late 1980s that lamented the fact that new comic characters were being created when existing shelved characters could have sufficed.  It posed the argument that many second tier characters under the proper creative spirit could have been guided to be a reasonable threat in terms of a villain or a noted hero.

The Scourge of the Underworld story line would never have had to exist if characters were treated as three dimensional material. Likewise was a character like Darkhawk necessary while Nova waited in the wings?  Or as was asked in previous columns, was Dr. Doom the only serious megalomaniac available?  Why was he reduced to such common use that he had to tackle the likes of Dazzler?

But the situation was nothing new, going all the way back to the Golden Age of comics, characters were created and disposed of while others jumped to super-stardom.  And redundancy of powers was never the sole defining criteria for approval or dismissal - just ask Captain Cold, Mr. Freeze, and Killer Frost.

Today, I have created a list of six Marvel characters that back in the Bronze Age I wanted to be more successful and in use.   For whatever reason they fell to the second or third tier in popular employment and never maintained a headliner status (if they were ever offered a lead role at all).  I see great opportunity in their personality, power, design, and attributes.

My question is why weren't they used more?  And why weren't they successful?   For that matter, do you agree that they should be on the list?  Who would you recommend as an underplayed creative commodity?

Feel free to join in and rank characters that need to be embraced!

1) Black Goliath / Giant-Man / Bill Foster: Introduced way back in Avengers Vol 1, #32, Dr. Bill Foster had been hanging around in various guises throughout the Bronze Age.  After augmenting Pym's formula he became a hero in his own right and had a short-lived series called Black Goliath.   Following that run, he made appearances in The Champions, and later teamed up with the likes of Spider-Man and the Thing.  His most notable appearances in my opinion were in Marvel Two-In-One where his friendship with the Thing really helped show his character as a trustworthy friend, generally good guy, somewhat careful hero, and decent poker player.  In my opinion, in his last incarnation as the new Giant-Man he should have been the go-to powerhouse for brains and muscle for teams like the Defenders and the Avengers.   Alas, he never seemed to get a full chance and the last I heard he was killed off in a modern adventure.  I found it interesting that in an issue of What If (see the Giant-Man panel below), he was offered a role in the Fantastic Four to replace an injured Thing; in that imaginary tale Foster received the fame, accolades, and notoriety he deserved.  I wish that would have happened in the mainstream Marvel stories.






 2) Mister Machine / X-51 / Machine Man / Aaron Stack:  Machine Man is such a strange creation as originally envisioned by Jack Kirby first in the 2001: Space Odyssey series and then in the eponymous Machine Man run in the late 1970s.  Alternatively known as Mister Machine and X-51, the living robot sought to live a normal life and adopted the name of Aaron Stack while living in suburbia and working a job as an insurance adjuster. His body is made of steel with limbs that extend similarly to those of the children's cartoon character Inspector Gadget.  But I found the character intriguing as he continually sought some meaning to his life.   Even more so than characters like the Vision, Machine Man was constantly distant from human emotions despite thorough introspection.  Though he sought to understand, the world remained uniquely foreign to him. When Steve Ditko took over his series, that strangeness became even more apparent as he sacrificed life and limb despite really understanding what he was fighting for other than some programmed "correctness."  I enjoy this character and I would have liked to see him used more.   Despite the X-Men being designed for mutants, I think this oddball would have fit in well as that team's version of the Vision.  What could be more "mutant" than a conscious mechanism?  However, the character never reached his potential.  He appeared in a mini-series back in the 80s, is used intermittently, and somewhat relegated to the trash heap.


 3) Thundra:  The time traveling Femizon from the 23rd century city of Greater Milago (Milwaukee- Chicago) may seem silly but remains one of my favorite characters from the Bronze Age.  Her adventures with the Thing are of particular interest.  She was a great foil for Ben Grimm and despite her surface characterization as a "strong woman," she developed into a character that I continually enjoyed reading about.   Her guest appearances in Marvel Two-In-One during the Project Pegasus story were particularly witty and fun.   When she previously appeared in Fantastic Four as a Frightful Four recruit, I cheered for her possible acceptance onto the hero team.   Her costume was simple but memorable.  She had various adventures and at times partnered with Hyperion and Arkon. My hope was that she would actually end up on the FF or in some other way partnered with Ben Grimm.  She was a breath of much needed new air into the first family of comics.


 4) Sunfire: Shiro Yoshida was a young headstrong mutant whose mother was exposed to the radiation from the bombing of Hiroshima.   He was created by Roy Thomas and first appeared in X-Men #64 in 1970.   Over the years he has battled Namor and has been associated with the X-Men, the Horsemen of the Apocalypse, the Pacific Overlords, and Big Hero 6, but there are really no memorable adventures involving Shiro.   His limited exposure is interesting because he actually appeared in Giant Size X-Men #1 as one of the brand new international team that included Wolverine, Nightcrawler, Storm, and Colossus.  Somehow after that early esteemed adventure he just drifted away as a rather self-absorbed loner.  It is too bad because his power set of nuclear blasts and his Japanese perspective may have been an interesting addition to the team.   His costume design is one of the best of the era and he stood out whenever he appeared.   Believe it or not, his character made it onto the Saturday morning cartoon Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.  Personally despite his renegade attitude, I would have enjoyed seeing Sunfire as a regular team member somewhere - perhaps in the West Coast Avengers or the Defenders.


 5) Count Nefaria: This villainous leader of the Maggia, Luchino Nefaria (okay, his name is a little too on the nose) first appeared in Avengers #13 and had a typical existence as a mediocre comic book crime lord throughout the Silver Age.  He tussled with Iron Man and some others in now forgotten tales.  But that all changed in the early run of the "all new, all different" Uncanny X-Men when Count Nefaria masterminded a scheme in partnership with the Ani-Men that culminated with the death of Thunderbird when the villain escaped.   Despite that significant development, the Count did not re-emerge until the classic arc in Avengers #164-166 in which he absorbed the power of Whirlwind, the Living Laser, and the original Power Man.  Possessing the strength of Superman (as he is commonly thought to represent) and retaining the wits and cunning of a criminal mastermind, he easily took down all of the Avengers.  Wonder Man, Captain America, and even Thor could not bring him down.  Only through some trickery to coincide with a barrage of attacks did the Avengers manage to temporarily subdue him.   If you haven't read the Jim Shooter and John Byrne masterpiece, do yourself a favor and take a look.   My take on the whole affair is that Nefaria should have become an "A" level threat to both the X-Men and the Avengers and should have been on par with Magneto, Kang, and Ultron.   Instead he has basically disappeared.  He was put under the control of the Grim Reaper for a later Avengers story and ended up becoming an ionic energy being similar to Wonder Man.   I think there were missed opportunities. A villain that kills an X-Man and manhandles the strongest of Avengers deserves a place in the nemesis hall-of-fame.






6) Medusa: The queen of the Inhumans has one of the most striking appearances in all of comicdom.  And as far as powers go, Medusa's living hair has to be the strangest example.  Like Thundra, Medusa got her start as a villain alongside the Frightful Four and faced the FF and later Spider-Man.   Revealed to be a noble Inhuman, her character slowly morphed from a wild criminal to a more nuanced nemesis and ultimately a confidant.   Her time as a replacement member on the Fantastic Four (following that of her sister Crystal) sticks with me as part of a great time for comics.   Her relationship with Reed Richards, though subtle and never realized fully, had me completely entertained.  I had partly hoped that Sue would leave the Baxter Building for Namor and Reed and Medusa would become a couple.  Medusa's ability to deal with Reed's brainiac aloofness said all that needed to be said about the character.  She was smart and strong willed and a leader.  In the long run, Medusa disappeared back into the Inhumans (a team that never really shines when put in the spotlight).  Visually, when her hair is in action, Medusa is perfect for the comic book medium.  Although she appears regularly in the Marvel Universe including a stint on a new FF with Ant-Man, I think her heyday was back in the Bronze Age when she could have really emerged as a powerful character.


 So there you have it BitBA fans; that is my list of under-appreciated Marvel creations.  Who would you add to the list and who would you take away?   Who deserves more air time, and who deserves to be put to pasture?

I am looking forward to your comments today, so let the opinions fly.  Oh, and please keep input limited to Marvel creations  as we will explore DC and Charlton at a later date.  Cheers all!



16 comments:

Edo Bosnar said...

Those are some pretty good choices. My own list would also definitely include Bill Foster (who should have dropped the 'black' and just stayed Goliath). I always thought he was a character with great potential that nobody at Marvel ever exploited.
I also totally agree about Thundra, another personal favorite.

Some of my picks:
Greer Nelson/Tigra. She's a cool character, who had some solid appearances as both the Cat and Tigra in the '70s, and then she was pretty much destroyed in the '80s, first by Shooter and then by Byrne. She could have been put to better use.

Monark Starstalker. Basically a one-off character who appeared in arguably the single-best issue of Marvel Premiere (#32), he pretty much never appeared again (as far as I know). I wish Howard Chaykin had revisited the character back then, and at least done a few more stories in Marvel Premiere if nothing else.

Man Wolf. Speaking of Marvel Premiere, Man Wolf appeared in an awesome two-issue story in that title (#s 46-46) in which he's not a raging, mindless werewolf but rather a sword-wielding, swashbuckling hero, except all furry with a wolf's head. I only later found out that those two issues concluded a story that ran in Creatures on the Loose. I kind of wish that had become the status quo, so we could have had a bunch more sword & SF Man Wolf stories. (As an aside, I wish all those Man Wolf stories would get reprinted.)

El Aguila. He made a few appearances in the early '80s, mainly in Power Man & Iron Fist, but then largely disappeared as far I as can tell. He should have at least been given a mini-series or something, because he was a real cool character, who mainly went after "real-life" type villains, like slum-lords, drug dealers and so forth.

Peregrine. He was a French superhero who appeared in the first Contest of the Champions, and that's about it. I know nothing about him, but he had a cool look.

Selenarch said...

Really great topic, Martinex, thanks.

Until I read your post, I don't think I've ever wondered why he couldn't have been plugged into any team looking for a strong man. But now, looking back on it, I have to heartily agree.

I wasn't as enthusiastic about Machine Man, but the X-51 series and his current appearances starting with Nextwave Agents of H.A.T.E. have really been enjoyable.

Thundra and Medusa are complete head-scratchers as to why they weren't given more page time. To echo your assessment of Black Goliath, I think you could have put Thundra in anywhere you have She-Hulk, which is not to say that I don't have love for that character as well. Maybe they thought she was too tied to women's lib (it's the only reason I can think of). I recently picked up a copy of Marvel Super Heroes illustrated by Gene Colan focusing on Medusa which showcased some truly novel uses for her seemingly ridiculous hair-powers such as stopping an elevator and picking a lock. It almost seemed like they were trying to rehabilitate her by having her be taken much more seriously on that score like Sue Richards was later on. Alas, it doesn't seem like much came from it, though.

I thought Sunfire was kinda cool, and loved the Nefaria storyline, but I'll also plug the subsequent story in Iron Man when Whitney Frost and the Ani-Men tried to cure her father. Whitney's a character whom I really would have liked to have seen more of.

As for other suggestions, the first ones which just jumped to mind were any of the international characters from Secret Wars. They seemed to have popped up only to be turned into red shirts, and that seemed like a waste. But I can see that drilling down to make them representatives of their countries and backgrounds would take effort to avoid stereotyping and probably wasn't worth the risk of alienating the readership if they didn't get it right. Another character I wanted to see more of was Jack of Hearts, if his origin and character were murky, they certainly weren't murkier than, say, Moon Knight, and he got a lot more play (for good or ill).

I could probably think of a few more, but it will be interesting to read what others have to say.

THanks and cheers!

Selenarch said...

Oh! Contest of Champions not Secret Wars, thanks Edo!

Anonymous said...


Like the choices here, although I kind of like that Nefaria wasn't overused...like Korvac, bringing him back too often would dilute the special impact of a truly classic Avengers storyline.

I always liked White Tiger, and he seemed to just vanish, which was a shame. I was introduced to him through the Human Fly comic, which I also liked. And I always thought Union Jack was cool, but he never seemed to be used much in Invaders or anywhere else.

I think the take-away is that I liked characters with the "no nose/no mouth" Spidey-style mask when I was a kid. Must be why I was so happy when Moon Knight got his own mag!

-david p.

Edo Bosnar said...

Oh, yeah, David P., can't believe I forgot about White Tiger. I wish he'd had more appearances (and like Man Wolf, I would love a book that collects all of his '70s & early '80s appearances).

Selenarch, on those international heroes introduced in Contest of Champions, what bothered me about them is that most apparently had to be symbols of their countries, kind of like Capt. America, so that two of them, Israel's Sabra and China's Collective Man, basically wore the flags of their respective countries as their costumes, or they were just so stereotyped, like Arabian Knight (who rode a flying carpet no less, geez), the unfortunately named Blitzkrieg from Germany, Shamrock (with her "luck of the Irish" powers) or Australia's Talisman, who was an aboriginal shaman (because we know all of those "native peoples" are magic. Oh, boy). Peregrine and the Argentinian hero, Defensor, were the only ones who weren't like that - or not as much, anyway.

Dr. O said...

I like Marti's list.

I agree about Black Goliath (but I'd keep the "Black"), and Machine Man (two of my faves, and I hated what they did with him in NextWave and later the Ms. Marvel series (Carol Danvers last series as Ms. Marvel before becoming Captain Marvel). Speaking of Carol Danvers, she might have made this list, but in recent years they've done great (and some terrible) thing with her, and I love that she is now called Capt. Marvel.

I agree about Thundra, too.

I'd put White Tiger on my list, though now that identity is a legacy passed down to his younger sister (and maybe his niece?)

Thunderbird! He should not have been killed off. (didn't Count Nefaria kill him?)

The Sphinx is an underused villain that later could have totally replaced Apocalypse (who is my least favorite of the late 80s/90s).

Speaking of Sunfire (who I can take or leave), I may have mentioned this before, but I would love a "Marvel Jerk Squad" comic that would include: Namor, Quicksilver, Sunfire, Moondragon, Paladin, and Aurora/Northstar. :)

Killraven said...

I agree with all these choices. Good job!

Hard for me to pick my own since I'm not sure what has happened to some characters the last 30 or so years. But I'd like to add Deathlok, he had some sparse appearances after his Astonishing Tales run. I would've been all in for his own series with a good creative team.

Unknown said...

Yes, yes Killraven. Bring back the actual Deathlok. They are trying to launch "generations" currently at Marvel. He fits nicely

Mike Wilson said...

I liked Bill Foster too. It seemed like Stern was positioning him to be the resident scientist for the West Coast Avengers, but when Englehart started writing the ongoing series, he dumped Foster and brought in Hank Pym. It would've been cool to see Foster as the science guy for the team.

I've always liked Thundra too. Her "romance" with Ben Grimm was a bit weird, but not nearly as strange as her later relationship with Arkon. I think Thundra would've made a good Defender; she's like She-Hulk but with even more attitude.

Other underused heroes? Moondragon had potential, but was written so unlikeable that a solo series probably wouldn't have worked. I always liked the Valkyrie/Hellcat friendship in Defenders, so a team-up book with those two (along the lines of Power Man/Iron Fist) would've been cool.

Dougie said...

I agree with most of the list and the additions. But no love for Woodgod?!
As much as I like his look, Thunderbird was better as a shock death.

Dougie said...

I agree with most of the list and the additions. But no love for Woodgod?!
As much as I like his look, Thunderbird was better as a shock death.

Martinex1 said...

Thanks for commenting all! Much appreciated and great suggestions.

Edit -Tigra almost made my list. So close. And I had her in mind if I ever did round two. And Monark Starstalker was a great single issue. He did appear much later (in the 2000s) in a Nova title. I will try to find out exactly where.

Selenarch - Whitney Frost and Jack of Hearts - I totally agree. When they were regular supporting stars in Iron Man they were fantastic to read. Even if Whitney Frost leaned toward her villainous ways, she would have been perfect as a foil for Black Widow and some others. Also as you said, Thundra could have fit into many She-Hulk stories.

Dr O your suggestion on the Sphinx is great. Absolutely true that he and Apocalypse could have been interchanged.

Deathlok almost made the list too. Definitely - in my mind - the initial character with 'Puter in a team book would have been interesting.

And David the Human Fly and Union Jack had a ton of potential - just because they looked cool let alone their concepts.

Great suggestions all... please keep them coming.

Mike

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Great Subject! In brief..,

I always thought Sunfire would have been the perfect character for a more adult audience (vice violence, drugs, wife beating, and deconstruction) given the geo-political differences, losing side of WW2, non-USA culture,non-white culture, atomic bomb usage... IMHO he is the most underutilized character I can think of in the Marvel Universe and has the greatest potential.

Machine Man is interesting to me but the goofy arms turn me off, lol.

For what it's worth, Medusa has been (was?) headlining the Inhumans comic book the last few years as the head of extant "good" Inhumans, and those who have become Inhumans in the past few years due to the release of whatever gas causes that hidden gene to manifest. Black Bolt has been MIA. And, Inhuman City is now perched off the shores of Manhattan.

Redartz said...

Excellent subject, Marti! I'm agreeing with Charlie, Sunfire would have made a fascinating exploration of different socio-political viewpoints.

Always did like Medusa; particularly during her stint with the Fantastic Four. A great character with unusual abilities, and a distinctly striking look.

Martinex1 said...

Dougie - I too like Woodgod; what a strange creation. He caught my attention when Byrne drew him in the Spidey / Hulk Team-Up. I threw him up on our twitter account along with many of the other character suggestions here today. Hoping for some newbies to take a look and to join our conversation.

CH47 those are some interesting thoughts about Sunfire. I'd like to see a more varied perspective from all the characters.

Thanks all again for joining in today. More fun on the way to finish out the week, so come on back tomorrow. Cheers.

Martinex1 said...

Edo, I forgot to mention that Monark Starstalker appeared again in Nova issues #29 and #30 from 2009. He is on the cover of both issues. And from what I recall it was not a bad story.

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: