Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Adventures in Comics: Romance and Comics...






Redartz:  Romance and comics?  No, we're not talking today about romance comics ("My Love Story" and that whole genre). We are discussing, rather, what (if any ) role that comics have had in your love life, and vice-versa. After all, we have dealt with parents and their influence, we talked about friends, and even had a post about our roles as parents with a comics slant. So, why not consider our significant others, brief crushes, or 'friends with benefits' ?

Personally, I've been blessed to have a patient, understanding wife; and a couple of girlfriends in my youth who had open minds.  Back in high school, my comics addiction was pretty common knowledge among the student body. So my girlfriend at the time wasn't taken by surprise by all those comics. Rather, she gifted me with a few, most notably the 1968 "Spectacular Spider-Man" magazine. And although she is long gone to other lives and pursuits, I still have the magazine.

My girlfriend at college also accepted that comics hobby. In fact, she did some collecting herself. We would go to flea markets together and find books for each other. That relationship also came to an end, with an odd coda: a couple years after we parted, I actually ran into her at a comic convention! At that time I was engaged to the fine woman who became my wife; seeing that former flame was a little awkward. But it was no big deal, we spoke a bit and I showed her my purchase of an old "Sugar and Spike" issue. 

Time moved on, and so did I.  My wife was introduced early on to my favorite hobby, and she also accepted and supported it. She has given countless gifts of comics and comic-related items. She has trouped along with me and my sons to conventions, even standing in line for signatures when I was otherwise occupied. She looks out for comics when we hit antique malls and flea markets (and I look out for her "Precious Moments" figurines).  When times were tough and I decided to sell my collection, she left the decision up to me; no pressure. That meant a lot, and still does. And she remains a good sport about it all yet today. In recent years she has become addicted to the Marvel films and the DC television series, and we watch them all together. I'm grateful for her every day. No comic fan could ask for a better enabler...

4 comments:

Garett said...

None of my girlfriends were into superhero comics, but they liked other comic strips/comics/cartoons. Katy Keene, Mad, Far Side, Herman, South Park, and Matt Groening's Life In Hell strip were some of the favorites. Many of them were into drawing, costume design, fine arts, modeling, so they were close enough to my comics/art interests that it was ok. I get teased a bit but it's all good natured, and they've come with me to comic conventions and comic stores. My first date with a girl in university was to a matinee showing of the 1960s Batman movie! I wasn't sure if she was digging it but it turned out she did and all was good.

It's easier now with all the superhero movies, and my fiancee now loves many of them like Guardians of the Galaxy. Some of her friends and co-workers are into comics and cosplay, so me liking comics is just normal.

The Prowler said...

I think many here have heard me wax poetic about my first "great" girlfriend. I also know many here don't know her. We met at sleep away camp in upstate New York. She wasn't from around here, Canada, if I recall correctly.

As we spent many evenings watching the sunset or the early morning walks on the beach, we discovered many common interests. Pre-industrial blown glass, free verse and the seven virtues of Bushido, I was still hesitant to share with her my two main loves, the accordion and comics.

It was a few years later, I think I was 14 or so, she around the same, that we spent a summer traveling Central and South America. I spent many a sun drenched hour farriering for the locals; she spent many a wild evening leading the children in interpretive dance. I was so caught up in the spectacle of her movements that I reached deep into my duffel, whipping out my squeeze box. I flailed liken unto a mad man, a frenzy of music lust personified when, to my horror, I saw, amidst all the hurly burly, a solitary figure, staring in horror and disgust at me and my accordion...

I never brought up my love of comics.

Needless to say, for the remainder of the summer, the love making was, to say the least, awkward... vive la difference!!!



(love
I get so lost, sometimes
days pass and this emptiness fills my heart
when I want to run away
I drive off in my car
but whichever way I go
I come back to the place you are

all my instincts, they return
and the grand facade, so soon will burn
without a noise, without my pride
I reach out from the inside

in your eyes
the light the heat
in your eyes
I am complete
in your eyes
I see the doorway to a thousand churches
in your eyes
the resolution of all the fruitless searches
in your eyes
I see the light and the heat
in your eyes
oh, I want to be that complete
I want to touch the light
the heat I see in your eyes

love, I don't like to see so much pain
so much wasted and this moment keeps slipping away
I get so tired of working so hard for our survival
I look to the time with you to keep me awake and alive

and all my instincts, they return
and the grand facade, so soon will burn
without a noise, without my pride
I reach out from the inside

in your eyes
the light the heat
in your eyes
I am complete
in your eyes
I see the doorway to a thousand churches
in your eyes
the resolution of all the fruitless searches
in your eyes
I see the light and the heat
in your eyes
oh, I want to be that complete
I want to touch the light,
the heat I see in your eyes
in your eyes in your eyes
in your eyes in your eyes
in your eyes in your eyes).



Charlie Horse 47 said...

My wife is from France where they have a proud tradition of comic strips (e.g., Tin Tin, Asterix) and literature. Hence, though the comic format gives her a headache (literally) she has never once said anything negative. And, when I've weaned down the long boxes, she's always said that I should really, really be sure because all books are "special."

My kids, whom I love, have implied on a few occasions that my maturity is questionable, LOL.

Redartz said...

Garett- cool movie date story! And it's good to hear your fiancé is enjoying the films. With the popularity of comics- generated entertainment today, our Fandom seems to be the new normal.

Prowl- great, great tale! That could be the basis for a graphic novel. I'd pay to see your performance, illustrated or actual...

Charlie- fear not, we all continue to nurture our inner kid. Bet our kids will do the same.

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: