Monday, June 26, 2017

The Brave Or The Bold: Spider-Woman Or Dazzler!

Martinex1: We are exploring some new territory today as we compare and contrast some later Bronze Age creations - the heroines Dazzler and Spider-Woman.   While both Jessica Drew and Alison Blaire have their supporters, they never quite made the top tier list at Marvel in the late 70s and early 80s   Alternatively both had their own series that ran for respectable lengths and both had a fair amount of marketing support.  


Dazzler was originally created as a bridge between comics and the burgeoning disco movement; she was originally conceptualized to star in a movie before being repositioned as an X-Men guest star during the Hellfire Club arc. There are versions of the draft and script details pulled together by Jim Shooter around the ill-fated movie that are fun to read (definitely a time capsule in and of itself).  Dazzler was slightly reinvented and her first appearance was in the February 1980 issue of Uncanny X-Men, under the creation of Chris Claremont and John Byrne at their height. The character was a talented singer who could convert music (and other sound) into blasts of light.  She started out using her mutant power as a stage gimmick, but quickly put the talent to defensive use as a reluctant heroine.   The issue was fairly popular and an ongoing series was greenlighted quickly and debuted with a cover date of March 1981.   The series ran for 42 issues and along the way Dazzler fought villains that were significantly above her power class in foes like Doctor Doom and Galactus.  Late in her series she changed from her silvery disco togs and roller skates to a more standard hero look, but her original costume still gets a lot of cosplay attention.   Despite a big push from Marvel marketing the character did not have a lot of staying power.

Marvel of course had one of the most iconic comic characters ever in Spider-Man, and they hoped to capture some protection to the brand as well as some attention in the market with Spider-Woman.  Spider-Woman first appeared in an issue of Marvel Spotlight, and that characterization and origin did not carry into her later representation.  She was conceptualized as an evolved spider with some creepy attributes and ties to Hydra.   When she got her own title in April 1978, Jessica Drew was more stable and had a career as an investigator   She fought a strange group of villains that tended toward the horror genre.  Some of the character's strange attributes, like the eerie feeling she would trigger in men, dissipated.   Back in the day, she had her own cartoon series and often appeared in Marvel's house ads. Her series ran for 50 issues.   In modern times, she has become much more popular and even joined the Avengers.

There are some similarities to the characters and the approach Marvel took with their female leads.   Spider-Woman and Dazzler actually interacted on occasion and had some conflicts along the way.  So let's take a look at their Bronze Age impact, covers, and details. And then you can decide which you prefer and why.

Both characters made their way into mainstream books and onto the covers of X-Men and Avengers!

Both Dazzler and Spider-Woman had an opportunity for photo covers!

And they teamed up in Dazzler's book!
Dazzler's title started out with the creative team of Tom DeFalco and John Romita Jr., but was quickly turned over to Danny Fingeroth and Frank Springer.   That team stayed together for quite a run, with some contribution along the way by Mark Bright, Vince Colletta, Jim Shooter, and others. Archie Goodwin and Paul Chadwick finished the run. Covers along the way were designed by Springer, Romita Jr., Bill Sienkiewicz, and even John Byrne.

On Spider-Woman, Marv Wolfman and Carmine Infantino started the book with a decent run on the first eight issues..  Mark Gruenwald picked up the writing chores and Infantino continued until issue #19 when artists and writers started to rotate.  Frank Springer penciled some issues as did Trevor von Eeden.   Chris Claremont and Steve Leialoha had a nice run toward the end from issues #34 to #46.  Leialoha was the artist from issue #28 and following Infantino was the longest tenured artist on the book.  Covers were supplied by Byrne, Cockrum, Sal Buscema, Frank Miller and many others.








So now it is up to you BitBA fans - who did you prefer in the Bronze Age?   Alison Blaire or Jessica Drew?   The reluctant heroine songstress or the powerful arachnid investigator?  Did the down-to-Earth creepy adventures or the other worldly galactic outings attract your attention?  What about the art's impact on the books?   Do these characters have staying power or are they mired in the past?

Feel free to discuss anything related to the characters, their stories, the titles, the era, and your collecting habits today!  Cheers!


14 comments:

Edo Bosnar said...

Spider-woman, but quite a long shot.
Much as I loved the X-men and all things mutant back in the day, Dazzler always left me with a bit of "meh" feeling. Even when she was introduced, the 12 year-old me was quite aware that disco was on the way out... And I could never figure out why Shooter, Claremont and co. seemed to love the character so much, so that the latter even brought her into the X-men after her title was cancelled.

Spider-woman, on the other hand, was pretty cool and, despite her name, wasn't simply a female derivative of her much more famous male counterpart (like Ms. Marvel or She-Hulk, to say nothing of Supergirl or Batwoman and Batgirl). She had a distinct origin and look and during the initial run of the series, the stories were pretty unique, with a mood similar to the horror comics. I've mentioned it before at the BAB, but I was never of fan of Infantino's work at Marvel; however, I read Spider-woman pretty regularly in spite of my dislike for the art. Ironically, once artists I liked better (von Eeden, Leialoha) came on board, the tone also shifted a bit - it became a bit lighter, which is odd, given that Michael Fleischer (of Spectre and Johan Hex fame) took over the writing. There was still some solid stories in there, and I stuck with the series until the early 30s before losing interest - checking with the GCD, I found that this was about the time Fleischer stopped writing the stories.

Redartz said...

Have to admit I was not really a fan of either of them. Bought a few issues of each, but not for very long. Much more 'into' She-Hulk.

However, about ten years ago I did find Spider-Woman intriguing in New Avengers. Followed that book for about two years. There was an arc when Jessica was suspected of working for Hydra and Captain America was grilling her. Jess warned Cap about her , shall we say, tempting power over men. Cap replied that he'd 'try to control himself'. Pretty amusing.

J.A. Morris said...

I probably bought more Dazzler issues, but that was because Marvel hyped her series and I (naievly) thought that since it was a new series, early issues would be valuable someday. But Spider-Woman is much more interesting, has a better power set and wasn't created to cash in on disco (which had already peaked when Dazzler was created).

Ewan said...

Definitely Spider-Woman, though her original run was just "ok" to me now that I reflect back on it.

I think more of the draw for me was the cool costume (always loved the design), and the animated series in 1979. It was just a fun cartoon with a nice visual style, and Joan Van Ark did a great job voicing Jessica. Plus as a kid being a huge Spider-Man fan, it was just kind of neat to have another "spider" hero in the mix.

I'm not the biggest Infantino fan in the world, but I think he did a nice job on the early part of the comic book series, his style seemed to work well. Though I would have preferred Sal Buscema and Jim Mooney from the debut issue in Marvel Spotlight continuing as the art team.

I have never really gotten into the Dazzler character, I don't know why, maybe the costume or just the whole disco connection.

Anonymous said...

For me it has to be Spider-Woman over Dazzler. Even though I'm not usually a fan of derivative characters, in this instance Spider-Woman wins out; somehow she appealed to me more than Dazzler. Like Edo said, I could never figure out why Dazzler got such a big push from Marvel.


- Mike 'She-Hulk rocks too' from Trinidad & Tobago.

Humanbelly said...

If we're talking about during the Bronze Age itself, I can hoist the flag of "Neither" with speed and confidence. Didn't even have a scarce fraction of a single percent of interest in picking up either of their titles, although I was aware of them, of course. The very fact of the creation of a "Spider-Woman" as a painfully obvious marketing and copyright maneuver did nothing but harden my fast-developing shell of youthful cynicism. And Dazzler was much the same-- yet another example of Marvel's long-standing habit of trying to cash in on a perceived "hot" pop-culture trend or license even as its popularity is beginning to wane (BEAVIS & BUTTHEAD comic, anyone?). I mean, good god-- a DISCO superhero?? It was embarrassing to even see them hawking it at that point. How could the creators be so behind the curve of the youth-culture they were trying to sell to, y'know?

At some point I did acquire the DAZZLER: THE MOVIE graphic novel, which I believe was penciled by Don Perlin? Mostly I remember the weak pencils and the fact that she had a relationship with her older (and not particularly charming or attractive at all) manager or producer. . . which just smacked to me of some sort of creator wish-fulfillment. I remember feeling sorta icky after reading it, even though that wasn't the intent.

All that aside, though, I do now very much like the fact that they both exist as dependable, established female superheroes with a bit of history behind them. All it takes is a good writer and a capable artist (like, uh, maybe not Frank Springer, I'm sad to say) to breathe three-dimensional life into a character, regardless of the circumstances around their origin story. May I introduce you to She-Hulk, hmm?

HB

Mike Wilson said...

I'd go with Spider Woman. I tried to like Dazzler, but I just couldn't get into her stories. Spider Woman at least had some interesting storylines and some good supporting characters. Plus, the fact it was set in California made her stand out from the usual New York superheroes. I wish Ann Nocenti had gotten more time on the comic; I'd like to have seen where she went with the character.

And post Bronze Age, I really liked Jessica Drew when she was with the Avengers--though I guess she was a Skrull at least half that time.

Martinex1 said...

I too am a bit amazed Dazzler got such a push. And her book lasted 42 issues which is quite a bit longer than other Bronze Marvel intros: She-Hulk, Nova, Omega, Inhumans- how is that possible? Even the Invaders only ran 41 issues.

I only had a couple issues of each. But in retrospect I do like Spider Woman and I wish they had stuck to her evolved spider origin. I also like the horror / hero amalgam.

Some of the covers were nice also and I liked the Spider-Woman logo as well.

I however don't mind Dazzler's costume but the roller skates have to go.

The art on Dazzler always looked light and rushed.(unfinished).

david_b said...

I was gone from comics by this point but I'd agree with Martinex1, Edo, Mike, etc and most of you others..., like Dazzler.

Fighting Doctor Doom..? WTF..? I'm totally ignorant, but what little reading I tried, I didn't understand it other than some editor's agenda to somehow create a disco hero, much like the earlier Spidey (and Teen Titan's) villains on skateboards..

I never liked female derivative characters, like Spiderwoman, Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel (Monica..), or She-Hulk, or at least enough to spend allowances on them. If I was to fork over the cash, it would be with my favs like FF, Spidey, Cap, DD, or Avengers, etc..

Per Edo's comments, I'd probably have collected some Spiderwoman at some point, but it had come after my initial collecting had waned, plus most of the art by that point with the newer artists **really** didn't thrill me at all.

Anonymous said...

I prefer Spider-Woman but I bought several of the Dazzler issues shown so I liked her too...but I'm not sure why :)

RayAtL said...

I followed the entire run of both characters…no lie. I love female heroes as a genre.

It really wasn't until Chris Claremont got a hold of them that the characters became more interesting… Both runs had somewhat Mediocre art (RME Frank Springer, Carmine Infantino etc etc)... the covers tended to be much better than the interiors...

Anonymous said...

Never read any of the Dazzler or Spidey Woman. But I dare say Matt Baker would have been proud of some of those Dazzler covers like 15 :)

Humanbelly said...

It's funny how mediocre-to-weak titles could so often have superior covers, isn't it? Or-- maybe that's no accident, really. Giving a weak-selling book an A-list cover artist is like sending in reinforcements to a flagging combat unit, I imagine. I bet it's the quickest way to shore the book's sales up in the short term.

Werewolf by Night had some excellent covers during the weaker part of its mid & late run.

Vol 1 of She-Hulk also had some better-than-average cover efforts.

Quasar had some pretty good covers even while the interior art was falling utterly to pieces (and the book stayed good in spite of it)--

HB

Dr. O said...

Dazzler for me, though the most recent Spider-Woman series (despite broken up by a needless numbering reboot, marred by starting as part of a cross-over event, and then later being part of another multi-title crossover "Spider-Women" for a couple issues, and finally cancelled) was REALLY good.

I did like Spider-Woman's appearances in X-Men back in the day.

I wrote about the new Spider-Woman series here: Why You Should Read the New Spider-Woman

And about Dazzler in terms of the unique way her comics allowed us to think about sound and music in the medium here: Blinded By the Sound: Marvel’s Dazzler – Light & Sound in Comics

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: