Monday, June 5, 2017

Short Cuts: The Hazy Crazy Lost Memories of Youth!


Martinex1: Consider today's column to be a type of "lost and found,"  a response to a cry for help, a recreation of shadowy memories, and a collaborative effort of detective work and stress relief.    You see, there are things I only vaguely remember from my pre-teen adolescent youth and I am reaching out and hopeful that somebody can fill in the gaps.

In the Bronze Age we were exposed to so much pop culture and so many entertainment experiences, and occasionally in the glimmer of a distant memory I recall an image, a character, a situation, or a story - and despite my best effort I cannot complete the picture.  It drives me crazy.  When we started writing this blog, I realized I may have forgotten more than I remember.  Almost every day as I read your participatory comments, you jog a memory for me through shared experiences.

I am hopeful that we can occasionally use this spot to discuss such things and smooth over the deep recesses of an aging mind.  So here are three partial memories that have been bothering me and I am asking for clues and input:

COMIC BOOK:   There is one Archie story that I loved when I was about six years old, but for the life of me I cannot recall what issue it was in and I would like to find it and read it again.  Part of the problem is that I have no recollection of the cover image and even if I could remember that, most Archie Comics in general are very redundant in their cover depictions so it might be meaningless.  I also cannot recall if it was in Archie, PEP, or any of the myriad Archie titles that existed in our youth, so that does not help.   Here is what I do remember... Archie and the gang go to a "haunted" house and they look at a strange painting in the foyer.  They are magically sucked into the painting and have to figure out a way to escape this mystical prison. That's it... that's all I can give you.   I think the book had to be from 1973 or earlier as it was in a group of comics given to me from an older cousin when I was very young.   Any help here?
This image is not from the story I am looking for, but it both piqued my curiosity and expressed my brain pain!

MOVIE:  Around the same age, I was visiting family friends and as we kids played some game in the living room,  the older teens had a horror movie playing on TV.   I believe it was being presented on the original Svengoolie hosted show in the Chicago area.   The plot was that a woman was secretly some type of alien sea creature and when she seduced sailors she turned into an octopus-like creature and killed them.  I may actually have some of that wrong although I distinctly remember the tentacled arm wrapping around a sailor in bed.  It scared the bejeepers out of me and I had to sleep with the light on.  But to this day, I have no idea what the movie was and I bet it was ridiculously un-scary.   Any thoughts?


TOY:  Again around kindergarten age, so 1971 or 1972, I had a toy astronaut.   He was Mego-like but I don't think he was a Mego.  His head was slightly big for his body.  I believe he was six to eight inches tall with molded hair.   And he had various vehicles - moon rovers and the like.   I believe the vehicles were molded plastic and colored orange and grey.  For some reason, I have it in my head that this was a popular toy - I vaguely remember there may have been commercials for it during Saturday mornings.   But despite numerous internet searches, I cannot find a clue.   Help!

I would appreciate any input you can give me.  And this is absolutely an open forum, so you are welcome to also pipe in with other memory mysteries you may have.   Perhaps I can return a favor and answer your queries as well.  Cheers!

Martinex1: UPDATE:   A big thank you to Anonymous, vm, and Redartz for solving the three mysteries for me.  Much obliged team!   Here are some pictures that answer the questions that I posed.  (And check out the comment section, as some of our other regulars are hoping to find answers to their queries as well).   Thanks all.   Cheers!

The mysterious "Archie" with the magical painting.

The scary movie about a mermaid who may be killing people!


And a favorite toy from my childhood... Billy Blastoff!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

The movie sounds like it might be Night Tide with pre-Easy Rider Dennis Hopper released in 1961. The scene you described does happen--although it's a dream sequence. The movie has fallen into the public domain(I have a cheap dvd copy of it)so it's probably available on youtube.

Steve Does Comics said...

The astronaut sounds suspiciously like Major Matt Mason.

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

I was thinking the movie sounds like The Man Trap, a very early Star Trek episode.

Humanbelly said...

This is an excellent idea for an on-going type of post here. Nice one!
Can I offer any further help with your specific remaining (Archie) querie? Nope. But using our collective group-mind (Oh! We're like a Bronze-Age, Pop-Culture Uni-Mind or Kree Supreme Intelligence!)is brilliant! I suspect I'll have a memory fragment or two down the road to toss into the Atomic Micro-Analyzer. . . . ha!

HB

Martinex1 said...

Anon - photos of Night Tide make me think that is indeed the movie. Thank you. I will have to watch itto be certain but there is a real familiarity to the images, woman Dennis Hopper etc.

Steve - it is not Major Matt Mason. The astronaut I recall was either a kid or very kid-like. If I can relate him to anything, he had the slight resemblance to Davey from the "Dave and Goliath" series from Art Clokey. But again my mind may be playing tricks on the exact appearance, but it was not Matt Mason.

HB (and others) yes please use this forum (I like the collective Supreme Intelligence angle) for any fuzzy memories you have.

Cheers

Martinex1 said...

Woman, (comma) Dennis Hopper...

vm said...

The toy sounds like Billy Blastoff.

Redartz said...

Marti- love this concept for a post! You'll have me thinking all day. Wish I had some information about your memories. At any rate, that Archie story isn't in any of the books I have. However, it sounds like the kind of story that would have appeared in " Life With Archie "...or possibly, "Archie at Riverdale High".

Martinex1 said...

Yes, yes, yes...Billy Blastoff. Thank you so much vm. Great job in helping me out. I had that toy and his grey vehicle with spiked wheels. Ha ha. Two memories restored. Night Tide and Billy Blastoff. One to go. Thanks folks. Would have never figured that out on my own!

And I do encourage others to add their queries here in the comments and perhaps the collective intelligence can help you as well.

Now that doggone Archie story...

Redartz said...

Hey Marti, I think We have it for you! Grand Comics Database lists a story called "Culture Shock" which sounds exactly like the story you describe. It appeared in "Life With Archie " issue 133, May 1973. Looks like that may be it...

Ward Hill Terry said...

There was a non-Major Matt Mason toy? I had no idea. I thought for sure it was MMM! have a similar Archie comics memory fragment; Archie is stunned to see Reggie with slicked back hair, and Jughead wearing his "S" sweatshirt, and is enraged that Coach has never heard of Mark Spitz! Turns out he fell asleep while going through old yearbooks and was dreaming of the old days. I don't know why this story got stuck in my head, but it did and I haven't read it since c.1972-3, post Olympics. Archie? Pep? Life With Archie? Archie at Riverdale High? Archie's T.V. Laugh-Out? Jughead and Me? I have no idea!

Redartz said...

Ward Hill Terry- I remember that Archie story; seems like it appeared in an issue of "Archie at Riverdale High". Think I recently acquired it. Will investigate for you...

david_b said...

I had a fair amount of MMM toys, they lost sales waaaay too soon, but that's what happens when you actually land on the Moon, I suppose. Regretful, but I loved most of the toyline.

I had the initial Billy Blastoff set as well, but ended up using most of his stuff for my MMM line.

Martinex1 said...

Red thank you. I have to believe that is the Life with Archie issue I remember. I cannot find any interior pictures online to jog my memory and the cover (though quite unusual for Archie) does not ring a bell.... but the description of Bettty using her painting skills to free them does indeed jog a memory. So I think we have solved all of my conundrums. I will post photos later to update the post...

Now let's help Ward Hill Terry and others...

Cheers all!

Dr. Oyola said...

I was gonna guess "Action Jackson" for the toy, which was one of my faves in the 70s, b/c my family could not afford the Six Million Dollar Man doll I really wanted (years later I got one at a yard sale). Jackson was cheaply made, wore a blue jumpsuit and eventually his limbs would fall limp b/c of the cheap elastic keeping him together. (Looking it up now, I see he was an early MEGO)

Dr. Oyola said...

Oh, and speaking of that Archie. . . It took me a long time to find a reference to an issue of Richie Rich and Casper I had and loved as a kid (and that I am still looking for to buy). All I remembered was that it was a fantasy story involving a dragon and "purple gold" - so I know the feeling. Turned out it was Richie Rich and Casper #31 (1974)

Steve Does Comics said...

While I'm here I might as well put in a request of my own.

The first Batman comic I ever owned was bought in the summer of 1972. I remember nothing of its contents, other than that it featured the word, "Bolas," which was the first time I'd ever encountered the word.

Because it could take years for US comics to reach Britain, the comic would likely have been published between 1968 and 1972. If anyone knows what that issue might have been, you will have cleared up a 45 year old mystery for me and earned my thanks. I don't know if it was an issue of Batman, Detective Comics, World's Finest or Brave and the Bold.

Mike Wilson said...

@Steve: That's funny, because the first reference I ever saw to "bolas" was also in a Batman comic; Batman #263, where Batman uses a telephone as bolas to hobble a fleeing crook. But that's from May 1975, so probably not the one you're thinking of.

Steve Does Comics said...

It's definitely not that one, Mike, but it is good to see that Batman kept the bolas action coming long after my first encounter with him.

Martinex1 said...

Steve- How about Batman 223 or 228 where he has adventures around the world? In those days bolas always had to be associated with some exotic locale. Does that ring a bell?

Steve Does Comics said...

It's possible, Martinex. I think it may have either been a Batman issue between #226-229 or an issue of Brave and the Bold between #93-102. I'm basing this on the little figure of Batman that was used in the corner box on those issues, which I think might match the one on the cover of the issue I had.

Martinex1 said...

Photos of the correct answers are now included in the post. Thanks all...

Redartz said...

Ward Hill Terry- got it! That story you were thinking of is "Memories are Made of This", found in "Archie at Riverdale High" issue 8, cover dated July 1973.

Ward Hill Terry said...

Thanks, Red! Funny how the story stays in my mind, but the cover does not ring any bells!

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: