Saturday, June 24, 2017

All in the Game: Amazing, Spectacular Spider-Trivia!






Redartz:  Happy Saturday, everyone! The last couple of days we've featured discussions touching on our favorite wall crawler. We didn't really plan it that way, but since it happened, we'll keep it going again today; for a Spidey 'threefer'. Not long ago we tackled some trivia featuring the assembled Avengers. Today, we pose puzzlers pertinent to Peter Parker and his amazing alter ego. To review the rules of the game:

We start things off with a question on the day's subject. The first responder with the answer then offers another question, and so on, and so on. Put your friends (and your  hosts) to the test!



 

And now, our first question:  Most of you will remember that wacky icon of Bronze age Spider-Man, the "Spider-Mobile". It made several appearances in the mid 70's, before fading into (probably deserved) obscurity. And in those appearances, it crossed paths with a few of Spidey's old foes. In it's first appearance, Spider-man used it to help capture one villain's henchmen. Some months later, the ill-starred Spidermobile ended up in the river due to the influence of a second villain. Finally, a third villain salvaged the Spidermobile and turned it against Spider-man. Name those three villains, and then hit us with your stumper!




12 comments:

Doug said...

Ugh... I just read some of these issues a few weeks ago. And the sad thing is, I only recall the third villain - and I did not read that issue!

The Tinkerer is the answer to the third question, in the ASM #160s. If I recall, it was his first appearance since ASM #1.

So I am only of 1/3 help here!

Doug

Humanbelly said...

Argh-- this is a first-rate trivia question, I SHOULD be able to get it, and I'm flopping!

1st one is a toss-up.
2nd I have for sure, 'cause it's a favorite, neat sequence.
3rd-- geeze. . I remember the car's resurrection, but don't recall who did it (although one could make a good educated guess or two--).

I like the question for it's discussion potential alone! Spider-Mobile is sort of like Spidey's version of the Avengers' bomber-jackets, I daresay!

HB

Humanbelly said...

The Tinkerer! Good one, Doug. I was thinking maybe it was Professor Smythe, the Spider-Slayer guy (or his son).

Okay, I'll help this along then by adding that Mysterio was #2.

#1-- Well, surely it's gonna be The Jackal or Hammerhead, right? Since they're both on the cover? I'll go with Hammerhead, since he tended to surround himself with henchmen.

Are we getting there? Do Doug and/or I get to toss in the next question?

HB

Redartz said...

Doug and HB- yes, your 'Marvel Team-Up Up' produced the answers (and yes, Hammerhead was #1). So you both may fire off a question!

Humanbelly said...

Age has done nothing but improve us, Doug! Here, let me toss in a question from Stage Right (Doug, you can cover Stage Left):

In issue #80, what is the unwitting mistake the Chameleon makes that leads to Spidey capturing him?

(REALLY enjoyable issue, too, btw--!)

HB

Mike Wilson said...

Well, HB, I know that one; he disguises himself as Peter Parker, so of course Spidey knows it's Chameleon right away (and almost blows his secret identity by saying something like "You took the face of the one person I knew you couldn't be!" or something along those lines).

As for a new trivia question ... how many different guys have been worn the the Hobgoblin costume in the Spidey comics. Basically, I'm asking who all was suspected of being/turned out to be Hobbie in the context of the comics. I can think of five.

Anonymous said...

Oh, make that six. :)

Mike Wilson

Martinex1 said...

I think I have a couple answers for Hobgoblin...

1) Roderick Kingsley
2) Ned Leeds
3) Jason Mackendale ( I think that's his name ; the guy who is jack o lantern)

Humanbelly said...

Man, MikeW-- that's a murderously tough one--
Couldn'tcha give us something more in the $40 range, as opposed to the $100-??
Hoo-boy. . . !

(Six? Really? Gosh--)(Harry Osborn, at some point? How 'bout Jean deWolf?)

HB

Redartz said...

Lefty Donovan, wasn't he briefly set up in the costume by Hobby himself?

Mike Wilson said...

You guys are getting there, but I'll have mercy on you. I was thinking of:

Lefty Donovan, from Amazing #244-245; Ned Leeds, from #289; Jason Macendale, as the second Hobgoblin; Roderick Kingsley, the one trueHobgoblin; Roderick's twin brother, who sometimes wore the costume to throw people off the scent; and Flash Thompson, who was put into the costume as a fake-out by the real Hobbie.

@HB: Jean DeWolff as Hobbie ... now that would've been cool!

Edo Bosnar said...

Dern, I was hoping someone would ask about Cissy Ironwood, because then I'd've known the answer...

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: