Tuesday, July 4, 2017

This and That: Another "Independents Day"!



Redartz:  Hello everyone, and a happy July 4th (and to those outside the USA, happy Tuesday)! Last year on this date, Martinex1 and I teamed up for the first time on the fondly-remembered Bronze Age Babies site. Our first topic was "independents" on Independence Day, and it seems quite appropriate to revisit that topic again here at BitBA. So once again, we break away from Marvel, DC, Archie, Gold Key and the other 'big boys'. Today we look at some more of those 'rugged individualists' under the flags of such companies as First!, Pacific, Renegade Press, Dark Horse, Aardvark/Vanaheim, and many others. As we did last year, Marti and I will present three titles for your edification and assessment. Okay, let's push the envelope a bit...


Martinex1:  Happy Independence Day all! Hard to believe it has been a year since we discussed The Maze Agency,  Flaming Carrot, Mister X, American Flagg and others. I'm sure we will have plenty to discuss with some new independents, although my choices may lean toward the mainstream.   What do you have for us to start with this year Red?


 


Redartz:  Well Marti, let's start with something familiar. This series featured a cast we all know and love, as Comico won the rights to produce new Jonny Quest stories from Hanna Barbera. 
 It was written by William Messner-Loebs and drawn by a variety of illustrators (among them Doug Wildey, Marc Hempel, Joe Staton, Adam Kubert and others).  Many other notable artists, such as Dave Stevens and Bill Sienkewicz, contributed covers and pin-ups


Although the book did adapt some of the TV episodes (and referenced several more), it primarily offered all-new stories with Jonny, Hadji and the crew. Messner-Loebs brought his characterization skills (evidenced in his brilliant "Journey") and added various subplots and background details. Among the most notable were the story of Jonny's mother, and the relationship between Race and Dr. Quest. Later on in the series, a new love interest for Dr. Quest was added in the person of Kathy Martin, originally a social worker sent to investigate the 'child welfare' of two boys being taken out of school and sent adventuring worldwide...



 






This book was one of the last I collected before dropping comics for years. It featured a solid blend of humor , adventure and drama. And it expanded nicely on the JQ mythos while remaining faithful to the feel of the original animated series. I loved it enough to collect all 31 issues plus the specials. A great treatment of a classic adventure series.

Martinex1:  That is a really good choice.  I've only read a couple of  Jonny Quest issues, but the book definitely had nice characterization and was a great bridge from the classic show.   My first choice this year is also television related as a late 80's comic impulse purchase was driven by my childhood passion, Speed Racer.   NOW Comics published a number of licensed books on the heels of the Bronze Age; the company based in Chicago rolled out everything from Green Hornet to Mr. T and the T Force, Married ...with Children and The Real Ghostbusters, but in 1985 it put Speed Racer on the stands. 

Growing up and around 7 years old, I raced home everyday from school to catch Speed Racer on a UHF station, adjusting the rabbit ears and tinfoil to catch the sometimes ultra-violent tale of Speed and his family as they fought off various villains in the constant pursuit of car racing victory.  Speed, Pops, Trixie, Spridle, Chim Chim (the monkey), Sparky, Racer X and all the rest were there battling the evil and the creepy like Snake Oiler and the Acrobatic Car Team, the ghostly Melange, and the Three Roses Club.   The TV conflicts and set-ups were reminiscent of comic books and Racer X with his mysterious secret identity and mask definitely fit the bill.

NOW's comic was nostalgic and reverent to the source material and included most of the original cast and crew.   It is hard to compete with the frenetic action, open brutality, fast-talking, over-the-top drama of the cartoon, but the comic did an admirable job.  The pacing was sometimes off and it pointed out the strength of the animation and music and soundtrack from the original (because of their absence) but I would still recommend it if you like the characters.
 

Redartz:  That's a sharp looking series! I've never picked up a "Speed Racer", but I'm loving those covers.

Next up we have a truly unique, wonderful, lighthearted book from creator Arn Saba, published by Aardvark/Vanaheim.  Inspired both by "Walt Disney's Comics and Stories" and by cinematic musicals, "Neil the Horse Comics and Stories" featured cartoons, comic stories, text features, songs, and more, often with a musical theme. Each issue even included paper dolls of Poupee in various costumes representing the history of female comics characters (with the assistance of artist Barb Rausch). 

 


The cast included Neil (a talking, banana-loving horse), Soapy (the curmudgeonly cat- who also spoke, naturally) and Mamselle  Poupee', who could be described as an incurably romantic marionette. The stories relied heavily on fantasy elements (one episode had the cast battling a world of stuffed toys, another sent them to Hell (and then to Heaven, and back to Earth- Neil and Soapy caused enough disruption that both environs threw them out). Another issue they met Fred Astaire. And time was malleable for the group: in an ongoing text story, they adventured to "Old New France".

 






 



This book was a real departure from anything else I'd read, and I greatly enjoyed it. Sadly it was pretty short-lived. But the art is charming, the characters engaging. Neil is absolutely wonderful, his enthusiasm for life is contagious (and he LOVES comic books almost as much as bananas, so he obviously has good taste and good sense). These comics can be challenging to locate, but are a real treat.











Martinex1:  I have never had the opportunity to read Neil the Horse; in fact I have to say that I had never even heard of it until today.  But I must say I like the retro early animation inspired styling of the horse.  You are correct in that it calls to mind early Disney like Oswald the Rabbit.

My second choice is Captain Victory and the Galactic Rangers.  It of course, is Jack Kirby's influential foray into independent comics and part of the Pacific Comics' revolution at the time.   People may forget, but a significant headliner like Kirby was a huge coup for an independent publisher like PC to hire.   He may have been considered past his artistic prime but I still recall the first issue of Captain Victory proudly displayed on the checkout counter of the local comic shop in 1981.


Was the book any good - you ask?   I reread the first six issues recently and I have to say that I enjoyed them.  Were they on par with Kirby's early Marvel work on the likes of the Fantastic Four?  Of course not... don't be silly.   But in my opinion it was much better that Kirby's work on Captain America and was much more on par with his weird DC work like Kamandi, OMAC, and the New Gods.  I actually thought the art was exceptionally strong; it was very kinetic and had a lot of life in it.  I think Michael Thibodeaux' inks were particularly sharp and really complimented Kirby's work.  Take a look.

The book lasted thirteen issues and contained some nice easter eggs that may or may not have linked the spacefaring lawman Captain Victory to some DC characters like Darkseid and Orion.  It was actually a pretty cool book, and one that really shines in PC's legacy.




Redartz:  That's another book I never sampled, Marti. Great point about the inks: they seem tighter, more detailed and confident. Nothing against the man, but I found Mike Royer's inks on Kirby rather sparse.

My third selection is Normalman, from Renegade Press. Normalman was the creation of a pre-Image Comics Jim Valentino. It told the story of "Norm", the only non-powered person on a planet (called "Levram", get it?) occupied by super characters. Poor Norm was troubled by the incessant penchant for violence on Levram (as you know, superheroes and villains are constantly battling), and wished to return to his home planet "Arnold".

Characters included Norm's best friend: "Captain Everything", an incredibly powerful fellow who could basically do anything, his weakness being his amazing lack of wits. "Sophisticated Lady" was Norm's object of affection.There were loads of parody characters: the "Legion of Superfluous Heroes", "Sgt. Fluffy", the "Fanatical Four".  Satire abounded, and the covers paid homage to numerous other titles and comic genres. On the covers we've shown here, Archie , Superman and Richie Rich comics are the targets.



 

Normalman was a lot of fun to read, and filled with enough in-jokes to rival the best of "Not Brand Echh". If you're looking for some 'just plain fun' reading, this is a fine choice.












Martinex1:  Ha ha... that is great! Another title that I had never heard of before today.   I really like the Archie homage and the panel cover. 

My last choice is a little more serious although it contained a healthy dose of sarcasm and dark humor mixed in with its philosophical and sociological undertones.   I speak of Mike Baron's and Steve Rude's Nexus for First Comics.  Originating and running six issues over at Capital Comics, the series jumped to First in 1985 and really took off.

The story follows the adventures of Horatio Hellpop, who receives powers from a strange alien called the Merc and subsequently deals with his own mental and physical anguish as he takes on various serial killers.  Merc seems to torture Horatio with nightmares, physical pain, and mental breakdowns unless the hero meets out the alien justice.   It makes for some very interesting stories, and Steve Rude's art helps tremendously. The series ran for quite a while and continued through some other publishers including Dark Horse.  Along the way Nexus teamed up with other Baron characters like the Badger (who may deserve his own spotlight). Overall this series is recommended and I think stands the test of time due to Baron's sharp wit and dialogue.
Martinex1:  That is all I have for this go around and tribute to Independents.   Cheers Redartz for introducing me to some new possibilities.  Now have a hot dog and enjoy the fireworks!

Redartz:  Thanks for some fine recommendations, Marti. Three books well worth further investigation. And now, I'd 'relish' a hot dog', so have a great day, everyone, and remember not to point those bottle rockets at anyone- you'll put an eye out!


10 comments:

Edo Bosnar said...

Ah, yes, Captain Victory. I mentioned that one in the comments to last year's post at the BAB. Your description pretty much nails my impression the series, Martinex: I thought it was better than anything Kirby did during his second tenure at Marvel in the late '70s, and actually better even than a lot of his DC work (like the later issues of Mr. Miracle and Kamandi). However, I would say that only applies to the first six issues which you mentioned, as the story and art were really strong in those, but everything after that is pretty forgettable.

These are some interesting suggestions; Nexus is a series I always regret not getting into back in the day. I'd only heard about Normal Man more recently (like in the last few years) when I read about it on some other comics blog or forum or something. And you've really got me interested in Neil the Horse...

Rip Jagger said...

All worthy entries. I'm getting set soon to read the Captain Victory books again after many years. The first six to my memory are the best, but I'm eager to see if that still proves to be the case.

Rip Off

Disneymarvel said...

Own and love all the series you mentioned. Out of all of them, though, I would love to own a hardbound Omnibus of the Jonny Quest comics. I would be so happy to be able to proudly display that on my shelf!

Mike Wilson said...

I've heard of most of these, but never read any of them. Normalman sounds interesting; I might have to check it out.

Humanbelly said...

Saw ALL of these on the racks at Geppi's Comics World in Silver Spring, MD (back when it existed) at the height of that mid/late 80's (and I suppose later) independent comics boom-- and in my later years I deeply regret my haughty feigned-superiority in eschewing them out-of-hand. (Boy, THAT'S a heck of a phrase! Let me jot that one down for future use. . . )

They ALL had tremendous cover-made-me-buy-this-book appeal, and yet I managed to resist. The thing that particularly catches my eye here is how truly fantastic Kirby's artistic curtain-call is. Yes, having a strong inker supporting him goes a long way-- but I daresay that's always been the case. This is fine stuff that I think not nearly enough folks are familiar with. (In the KING KIRBY book, there's an unpublished Destroyer Duck splash page that is jaw-dropping-- it looks like it would have taken a week to pencil it all by itself. . . ) Captain Victory would be my likely choice amongst the ones you've chosen here-- probably followed by Jonny Quest. But I'd certainly be glad to score an inexpensive run of any of these titles, eh?

HB

Redartz said...

Thanks for commenting on this busy day, folks!

Edo- By all means, check out Neil. It's quite different, but a lot of fun with a lot of heart.

Mike W.- Seems like Normalman has been released in collected form. I'd like to get a copy myself.

HB- Don't be too hard on yourself , it took me awhile to 'take the jump' into some of those indies! But once I did, their appeal became irresistible. Kind of like getting ranch dressing on the salad instead of the usual French...

Eric said...

Comico Comics also gave us the Bill Willingham creation Elementals that I would recommend. Super hero centered but much more dark than anything from the Big Two.

Eclipse comics gave us the Alan Moore masterpiece Miracleman. Even today his run still amazes me. A dark version of the Captain Marvel family and some stunning art.

Those two books and Cerebus by Dave Sim were the only independent titles that I read regularly back then. I also sampled Beanworld and Fish Police.

I remember Nexus, but never sampled it. The same could be said for Ms. Tree and Flaming Carrot.

Eric said...

Oh, I also have a fondness for the Eclipse comics title Doc Stearn...Mr. Monster. A great blend of horror and humor.

Martinex1 said...

I had some friends who really dove into the Indy comics scene, but I only dabbled here or there. It wasn't until much later that I ventured further out. In the early going I stuck pretty close to the super hero genre and recognized licensed material. I read the Elementals and some others.

Thanks for the comments and feedback.

Tomorrow be prepared for Follow the Leader. Cheers!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hi Gang!

Perhaps I'm off base or over-thinking this!

Answering the 2nd question, what I’ve learned from comics is one of the reasons I still read comics!

Maus – Gave me insight into the Holocaust, and perhaps more insightfully into Holocaust Survivors.

Golden Age WWII Comics – How our nation perceived the war, our enemies, our minorities; insight into propaganda…

1950s, 1960s UK Comics like “The Broons” and “Oor Wullie” - How post WWII UK perceived Americans, America, other Europeans.

Classics in Comic Form – There are some beautiful renderings of classics such as Dante’s “Divine Comedy” or “Abelard and Heloise” or “Beowulf.” (If anyone is aware of a comic version of “The Song of Roland” let me know!!!)

Lee/Kirby 1960s FF – How middle-aged American white guys might view women at that time.

Herge’s TinTin – How middle-aged European white men might view Russian Communism, Africans, Jews, etc. at that time.

Foster’s Prince Valiant – Man there is a whole lot of Dark Ages, Middle Ages research that Foster put into that Sunday strip (research done on sight in Europe just prior to WW II). This has been considered to be “the most beautiful comic ever produced.”


Answering the first question:

I’m luke warm on Marvel’s / Roy Thomas’s “The Iliad.” Something about it was too comic-ish for a classic work like The Iliad.

Classic’s Illustrated – I’ve read many of them, looking for inspiration to read the original, but no joy there. They aren’t really deeply enough written to inspire my interest.

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: