Sunday, July 23, 2017

Sunday is now a Rerun Day! BitBA Classics!



Martinex1:  Good day all BitBA fans, lurkers, visitors and commenters.  Today we are going to do something a little bit different on the site.  Typically Sundays are used for recaps, previews and recommendations.   This Sunday we will begin an intermittent feature of BitBA Classics! (or in more common vernacular "repeats" or "reruns."  Redartz and I got our blogging start over at the Bronze Age Babies site as guest writers under the guidance and tutelage of Karen and Doug, who ran the site for seven amazing years. (If you haven't visited their archives or had any idea where we hatched from, check it our here: Bronze Age Babies), 

Red and I published dozens of posts with topics ranging from comic cover challenges to explorations of flea markets.  We thought we would share some of those early explorations for you here.  So those of you who came late to the party, can get an idea of what went before.  Occasionally, as needed or as it suits our busy schedules, we will harken back to yesteryear and share some fun old topics. Consider it the Marvel Tales of our site.

Redartz:  Great metaphor, Marti! "Marvel Tales", except we won't cut any content in order to insert more ads. We hope you will enjoy checking out some of our early work. And don't be surprised if we add a word or image along the way. As my esteemed partner noted, we learned the ropes under Karen and Doug, and two finer guides we could never hope for. By all means, if you have not seen it (and even if you have), check out their Bronze Age Babies. Meanwhile we'll be here with our usual verbosity.

Oh, and don't forget: we are looking for submissions of your fan artwork for an upcoming "Show and Tell" post. If you have any drawings, scribbles or even full stories, please consider emailing to us at BackintheBronzeAge@gmail.com. Thanks! 

Martinex1:  Don't worry, we will still have plenty of new content throughout the week and Sunday will still be a day for previews and recommendations (with occasional retro pieces like the one below).    Feel free to share any thoughts and suggestions you have in the comment section. 

During the coming week at BitBA,  we will take a look at uncommon villains, Saturday morning shenanigans, and MAD paperbacks! 

But without further ado, let's jump back to my first post Recollecting on Collecting from March 11, 2015 on the BAB site (with some new images added).  I hope you enjoy it as the topic shaped much  of who I am along the way.  Cheers.


(BAB 3.11.15) Martinex1: I was doing some reorganizing of my long boxes and comic art this past weekend, and as I came across certain books and original pages, it caused me to reminisce. I suspect that enjoying memories is a big part of collecting comics. Like all entertainment and art, comics are an escape. For me it’s a chance for my imagination to go places I never can, while at the same time thinking about childhood and the fun and growth of those days.

Comics were interwoven in my life from a very young age. I grew up in the south suburbs of Chicago in a large family within a larger family. My six brothers and sisters and I had an extended family that seemed to poke into many neighborhoods. We were all very close knit, from my Grandfather who lived right next door to us, to the many aunts and uncles and second cousins and relations that lived in the sturdy brick bungalows in the city. On a fairly regular basis, our family of nine would load into our van and visit my great grandmother; she was a tiny woman of Polish descent who lived in a doily filled duplex and treated us to Pringles and Goofy Grape punch. Upstairs from her lived an aunt and uncle and their three older teenaged boys.  

My first memories of that house and those family members are from around age five, and they are some very vivid and happy memories indeed, particularly those around my cousin Joey. Joey was the middle son who lived upstairs; he was thin and wiry and soft spoken. He was about 18 at that time, but he always had time for us youngsters. Most impactful to me was the fact that Joey was a collector. Every dresser and shelf in his room had sports’ bobble heads adorning them. He had Bears bobble heads, and White Sox bobble heads, and hockey bobble heads.  My brothers and I would run around the room trying to get them all nodding simultaneously to his shouts of, “Cut it out. Cut it out”, and laughter.  Joey also had G.I. Joes, not the small ones that came out in the ‘80s, but the tall military characters.  He had their jeeps, and their weapons, and their space capsule as well. Joey had large plastic figurines of army men, and Vikings, and knights. They were similar to the small army men that you can purchase 200 at a time and appear in Toy Story, only these were about 4 inches tall and very detailed.  And Joey had comic books. Stacks and stacks of comic books were tied neatly in his closet with soft twine.  We could hardly ever touch them while we were there, but we could see the stacks and make out some of the books on top… Avengers, Fantastic Four, Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos. He kept them stacked nicely, all in their spot, all in order. The brightness of the covers, with the characters in their costumes in dramatic poses, called to us. Once in a while, one would be lying about free and the kids in my family would quietly page through it; I distinctly remember looking at a Sub Mariner comic as a graduation party carried on throughout the house.  But that was rare; Joey kept the comics tucked away for the most part. 


Joey was very giving. Over the course of our visits to their house, he would always give us something he no longer had need for, so the G.I. Joes, and their supplies, and the Vikings and knights were soon ours.  It was like Christmas whenever we went visiting, and I can remember countless hours playing at home with all of those toys.

After one of the family parties, in which the kids had their fill of Shasta soda pulled from large ice tubs, we climbed into the van and took our places. As my mom got in she loaded a cardboard box into our midst. What was it? What was it? I am sure all of our hearts leapt with the excitement. I was shocked.  It was a huge box of COMICS!

I can recall a lot of them, but I probably cannot remember most even today.  Some stand out in my memories; some are lost to the hazy clouds of time.   He gave us Avengers!  Avengers #s 34 and 35 with the Living Laser, #59 with Yellowjacket, #61 with the Black Knight and Dr. Strange, #69 with the Growing Man, #71 with the Invaders, #86 with that big headed Brainchild. Wow! And also Silver Surfer 2, Iron Man 21, Fantastic Four 87, Captain Marvel 17, and more and more and more. There were Archies, stacks and stacks of Archies:  PEP, Jughead, Lil’ Archies, Betty and Veronica. And Sad Sack, lots of Sad Sack. And Sgt. Fury, dozens of Sgt. Fury.  

A side note: with the G.I. Joes, army men, Sgt. Fury, Sad Sack, etc., it was obvious Joey had an affinity for anything related to WWII; his father was in the war and we knew of him as Uncle Jeep (because he drove a jeep in the war and the name stuck from those days when his buddies simply called him, “Jeep” instead of his given “Eugene”).  

Joey gave us so many comics, and being a collector today I know that those books were difficult to part with.

All of those comics were thrust into our little grubby hands.  And we read them over and over and over again until sadly the staples loosened and the covers fell off. I read them at the kitchen table while eating Honeycomb cereal. I read them during commercials while watching Sigmund and the Sea Monsters on Saturday morning. I read them by flashlight in a tent on a vacation stop at a KOA.   I read every inch of those comics. I didn’t even understand some of the words, but I read them.   And I drooled over the “Coming Soon” advertisements of future issues. And I wondered what happened in chapters that I was missing (IE. Avengers #60, the marriage of Yellowjacket and Wasp).  I read every checklist. I read every letter. I particularly read the Marvels until I memorized them.  And I loved every minute.  

Over the next couple of years, that was my exposure to comics. They were all gifts from Joey.  
When I was eight years old, my mom told me that Joey was sick; I can remember the conversation and I can remember not truly understanding. He had leukemia. It was discovered after a minor injury would not heal correctly. Within only a matter of months, Joey died. I can remember that conversation too; I can remember exactly where I was when I found out. I had to miss the wake and funeral because I had the chicken pox. I stayed home alone (in those days kids did that) and I read comic books and thought about my cousin. To this day, even as I type these words, I miss him tremendously.

Within a year or so, my mom bought me my first “new” comic. I was shopping with her at the local Jewel-Osco, and they had on a rack three bagged comics for less than a dollar. She let me pick one bag. It contained an Amazing Spider-Man, a Marvel Two-In-One, and an Invaders issue. I was ecstatic. I could not believe the Thing had his own series, and I saw more of what Captain America was doing back in WWII. I have to give my mother credit, because not only did she buy them for me, but she read them too. She was probably just checking to see if it was appropriate for me, but I distinctly remember her chuckling and saying, “It is very tongue in cheek”.

Not long after, I was venturing to the corner drug store and buying comics from the rack. My first purchase, using money from my part in a paper route, was Avengers #164. That is still my favorite comic in so many ways. To come in at the start of the Nefaria storyline with Byrne interiors and a Perez cover helped, but the issue brought together so many characters that I had known from the days my cousin shared comics. The Living Laser and Whirlwind were there; it had Black Panther and Yellowjacket too, but it also had some new guys I didn’t know yet like Wonder Man and the furry Beast. The continuity in the story and in my life just made sense; it made me happy.

Somewhere in my mind, even back then I wanted to collect everything that Joey had given me that as youngsters we had mishandled and destroyed. As I reached my teenage years, I set out to gather everything I could remember in that wonderful cardboard box. The first back issue I purchased was Avengers #47 with Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and Magneto.  It filled a gap. One down, dozens to go.
It has been easy for me, even 40 years later, to remember the Marvel Comics that I had to replace.   They had so extreme an impact. Honestly, I struggle to remember the DC issues, and I am sure I have not replaced them all in my collection yet. I can remember certain images or parts of storylines, but I have not been able to pin them all down. I recently came across a cover of the Flash that sparked a memory. Archies all started looking the same to me; I could remember some stories, but identifying the cover or issue I needed was near impossible. I’ve known for a long time that a gap is” Dennis the Menace Goes to Hawaii” but I have not made a purchase on that yet. 
 
There is also one issue that I know we had that I am afraid I will never be able to afford: X-Men #1.  Yes, unbelievable but true, I know we had it because I distinctly remember Iceman sliding down the pole on the first page and dressing like a snowman. I didn’t realize it until I read the reprint in Amazing Adventures much later. 

My preferences have always been superheroes and particularly Marvel characters, so my collection has grown in that way. I am sure my collection is far beyond anything Joey could have imagined, with plastic bags, and long boxes, and trades, and CGC, and original art. It has been fun to share some of it with my nieces and nephews and now my young sons, although they are more interested in Legos and Skylanders. That’s okay; maybe someday they will share the passion or maybe not. The main thing is that we share the imagination.

This all got me to wondering how the folks at the BAB site stumbled into comics, what their influences are, and what they think about comic collecting as part of their life.

So, how did your collecting of comics start? Did you happen into the local convenience shop or drug store to buy candy and have your eye caught by the four color magic on the spinner rack? Or were you led to the hobby by somebody you knew; did a family member or friend share the experience? What were your first comics and are they still amongst your favorites? Was it a Marvel, or DC, or Archie, or some funny animal book that first spiked your imagination? Do you still have that first book and how well do you remember it? Did you have a special book that was lost to the ages?

What makes your Bronze Age gold?

14 comments:

Redartz said...

Hey Marti- great choice to represent today; one of your "greatest hits". Your story about your cousin is heartwarming. Excellent post. And it does make me wonder, how successful have you been at re-acquiring all those books your cousin gave you? Many of those non-superhero books are difficult to distinguish, but some do stand out...

Martinex1 said...

Red- I recently picked up the Life with Archie that the team here helped me identify. I haven't bought the Dennis the Menace Hawaii issue yet but I have tracked down the other Dennis the Menace books like Washington, Summer Camp etc. I keep promising to write about those and will someday. There are a couple of "Unexpected" I am aware of and still need to buy. DC issues cause a problem for me; I don't remember those covers well and I think many were 100 Page Giants so they all look kind of similar. Sad Sack is a real challenge. No idea where to start and other than remembering Sad giving Sarge a hard time, I recall almost no particulars.

I keep on trying to figure it out. I think I have most of the Marvels now though.

Anonymous said...

My first comics were read to shreds when I was a kid, but when I got older I hunted down other copies like a coyote hunts a field mouse.
Amazing Spider-Man 150, Super-Villain Team-Up 7, that issue of Kamandi with the mutated cosmonaut, that issue of Detective Comics where Batman fights that vampire.
All-Star Comics featuring the Super Squad (Wally Wood!), Justice League of America fights Despero in space...and so on.
And of course Adam Warlock and Spider-Man fighting the Stranger on the moon!

M.P.

Edo Bosnar said...

Yeah, this is a nice post, Martinex. I looked over the original at BAB, and I stand by the comments I made back then (maybe you should have tacked the original comment thread onto this 'rerun' as well?)
So this time, I'll go down a different route and try to respond to some of the questions you posted at the end. I seem to recall answering the question of how I got my start in comics reading/collecting several times at the BAB and here (recently), but suffice it to say it was the superheroes, and Spider-man specifically, that first captured my imagination. However, along the way in those early comics reading years, I did go down several detours into funny animals (mainly the Disney ducks as reprinted by Gold Key in the 1970s) and Archies (I especially loved the digests). I don't have any of my original collection, much less the first books I had - and MP's comment about reading comics to shreds reminds me that I not only read so many comics to shreds, but in my first year or so of comics reading (when I was 6-7 years old), I often cut out panels or just individual images of characters from the comics, thus literally leaving them in shreds and tatters afterward. Anyway, the answer to that last question ("Did you have a special book that was lost to the ages?") would actually be a pretty lengthy list...

Steve Does Comics said...

The first American comic I ever owned was a copy of the 1968, "Amazing Spider-Man," annual, bought in Sheffield's Rag and Tag market in 1972. The market seemed a strange and magical place at the time, a journey into a wild and chaotic wonderland but, looking at photos of it on the internet, it's shocking to see how grim and slummy it actually was, a venue permanently stuck in the 1930s in a city otherwise consumed by post-war modernism. Still, the comic having been bought there lent an air of underground romance to the book.

As for that comic, not only did it introduce me to Spidey but also the Sinister Six and it had guest appearances by Dr Strange, Giant Man, the Wasp, Iron Man, Thor and the X-Men. Suddenly being exposed to so many super-doers in one go was a genuinely mind-opening experience that left me hungry to experience more. Within a year, the cupboards of our house were starting to groan under the weight of an ever-growing pile of comics.

Anonymous said...

I liked Archie comics too, the digests, when I was a kid.
But I'll never admit it publicly!
....Wait. Ooops.
I also had a Little Lulu comic when I was a kid, but I have the sneaking suspicion my mother bought that because she was a fan from the '50's. She wanted to read it!
I could see why she liked it! It was great. I remember that one where all the neighborhood boys are swimming down at the local pond, and Lulu steals all their clothes and replaces them with a bunch of diapers. That's pure genius, there.

M.P.

Killraven said...

Great stories everyone!

My Mom brought home the first comics I ever read. She liked to get Giant-Size; X-Men #1, Avengers #4, Werewolf By Night. And Atlas' Brute, Phoenix. The first one I bought off the rack at the corner Rexall Drugs was Marvel Tales #59. My collector gene had been triggered (I had been collecting sports cards for a couple of years by then) combined with the art, I was hooked.

I sold all my comics in the early eighties, and kinda like Martinex1 I have been trying to get back some of those memorable stories.
The Defenders story "Who Remembers Scorpio" was the first and has opened up the flood gates.

Martinex1 said...

Thanks for commenting on a Sunday guys.

Edo - I thought about posting the comments but I'm always cautious about sharing without everybody's approval. Some folks may like it left where they were and not regurgitated, so I decided to only copy over the post. Next time I will try to supply a direct link so people can go back if they like. You mentioned Archie digests and I forgot to mention we got some of those also, along with Paperbacks of the Peanuts, BC, Wizard of Id, etc. Redartz will actually be covering some great paperbacks in an upcoming "Off the Bookshelf."

M.P. That "mutated cosmonaut" rings a bell - I may have to look that up to see if it jogs a memory. I don't currently own any Kamandi. And Little Lulu was great, but like all "funny books" I have a hard time locating specific issues unless I can recall a specific story like the "diaper" story you mentioned. In general some of the mid to late 60s kid-zones with Lulu, Dot, Caper, etc were pretty funny on occasion.

Killraven - it sounds like you had a pretty cool Mom - even reaching out into the Atlas-Seaboard books (which we should really discuss here soon).

Cheers all.

Anonymous said...

Killraven did have a cool mom! And I'm a HUGE fan of the Scorpio saga. A high point in Bronze Age comics.
Uh, Marty, it was Kamandi #35. That Russian cosmonaut had been trapped in a satellite during the Great Disaster and radiation had given him a monstrous form and powers. Nobody you wanna be trapped in a satellite with. It kinda anticipates the Alien film. Well worth picking up. Pure Kirby.
I dunno about that Lil' Lulu story, but I can always get my mom laughing when I bring it up.
Enjoying the discussion today! I'm kind of stuck here at home today and making the best of it.

M.P.

Mike Wilson said...

Hey, not to bring everyone down, but I see that Fabulous Flo Steinberg, of Marvel Bullpen fame, has died. The only way I knew her was from Stan talking about her in the Bullpen Bulletins, plus a couple of interviews I read with her, but she seemed like a really nice (and really funny) person.

Martinex1 said...

Mike W. I'm sorry to hear that. Flo was always mentioned in the Bullpen Bulletins and of course starred in What If #11 alongside Stan, Jack, and Sol.

Anonymous said...

It's sad news. The lady's warmth and charm is legendary. Many writers, artists, and company people spoke about how she lit up the offices of Marvel Comics back in the day with her spirit and brightness.

M.P.

Redartz said...

Sad news, another star in the classic Marvel firmament dimmed...

Joseph said...

What a great, heartfelt story Martinex1. It was a cousin of mine, also now deceased, that get me back into comics as a teenager. This really touched a nerve, in the best way.

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: