Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Adventures in Comics: Surprises, Welcome and Unwelcome...

 


Redartz:  Are you one of those people who enjoy surprises? I am. That is, I enjoy good surprises. Unpleasant surprises I can do without. And of course, life is full of both kinds. So it only goes to follow that the activity of collecting (comics, or whatever) can also throw us an unexpected curve now and then. Therein lies our topic for discussion!

In the course of my comics collecting career, I've experienced quite a few surprises of both the welcome and the unwelcome varieties. What might those have been, you may ask? Well, pull up a seat; here's a tale of each to get things going;  starting with the unpleasant surprise (it's always good to end on a positive note).  

This past weekend my wife and I had the great pleasure of attending a big flea market; something which has been largely impossible for the last year and a half. It was a pretty good market, with loads of comics for sale (as well as many other items of interest). My purchases for the day included several vintage books, indulging my current trend of hunting Really Old books (the most recently published book I chose was from 1962). One of them was a copy of Pep Comics #109, from 1955. One dealer had a long box full of miscellaneous books, at five dollars each. The book was obviously worn, and had a torn place on the cover where the image was gone. That said, it was 'good enough' in appearance for a book of such age, it looked fun, and was only about as much as a new comic these days anyway. So I grabbed it. 

 

 

Fast forward to the return home. Opened up my new acquisitions to leaf through and assess them. It quickly became apparent that this "Pep" comic was a bit thin. Did a page count, and a bit of research; discovered that the multi-page "Katy Keene" story by Bill Woggon wasn't there. At least four totally missing pages, including what would have been a highlight to the issue. "Rats" was my immediate reaction; but also a bit of rueful amusement. I'd forgotten the cardinal rule to buying back issues: look through the book before buying. Ah well, it still had some fun stories in it, and it now becomes potential fodder for a 'cut and paste' project.

 

 

 

 

 

Ah, but what about a more pleasant surprise? This story also starts at a flea market (how would I ever manage a collection without those wonderful things?). Several years ago I was wandering on a Sunday morning, looking over booth after booth of goods. Happened upon a table loaded down with boxes of comics, literally hundreds and hundreds. Not bagged and boarded, just loose books in long boxes at 50 cents a shot. As you would expect, I pored each box, and ended up with about a dozen books selected. Nothing earth-shaking, but some fun items and some good reading. One of the books was a copy of DC's "Secret Origins" #6 from 1986: it had the origins of Halo (who, at the time, I was unfamiliar with) and of the Golden Age Batman. The Batman story was by Roy Thomas, with art by Marshall Rogers and Terry Austin (which is precisely why I chose that book). I paid for the comics and continued on to other tables. 


A few days later, I finally got around to opening up that "Secret Origins" issue to read. First up was the Batman story, which was predictably great. But upon turning the page to the beginning of the Halo story, I was met by a signature at the bottom of the page. It seems that the artist, one Dick Giordano, had signed this book! Obviously from the era when creators signed inside the book, rather than on the cover. As a big fan of Mr. Giordano, it was most definitely a Pleasant Surprise! 


 Soooooooo, you know what's coming next. What 'surprises' have greeted you upon purchasing some collectible, be it comic, lp or whatever?  Hopefully yours were more of the good variety than otherwise, but regardless, now you get to share them with BitBA assembled. And always remember to check out those interiors before paying...


 

13 comments:

Colin Jones said...

An unwelcome surprise came in 2008 when I bought Volume 1 of Dark Horse's 'Savage Sword Of Conan' collection which featured SSOC #1-10. I was completely unaware that Marvel UK's version of that magazine had, for some unknown reason, printed the stories in a different order from the US original. Obviously Dark Horse's collection featured the stories as they'd originally appeared in the US version of SSOC not the UK version but it meant that stories I was expecting to see weren't included. But it wasn't all bad news as the collection did include "Iron Shadows In The Moon" (SSOC #4 US version, #1 UK version) which is my all-time favourite Conan story by Robert E. Howard.

Nothing to do with comics but I once bought a softcover book called "British Hit Singles Of The '70s" and over the next few months all the pages fell out. The entire book just fell to bits which was definitely an unwelcome surprise. I've never trusted paperback books since then!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Well...

1) Back in the mid 1970s Charlie used the "for trade" section of The Buyers Guide for Comic Fandom (I miss that thing!) and swapped a really super nice Bugs Bunny from the late 1940s for an early 1960s issue of Action. I get the Action and the dude had masterfully reproduced the corner that had a hunk of the Comics Code torn away. He did it in ink and I think taped it to the cover from behind. I have to look at it again; it was a superb bit of subterfuge.

2) The first time I was ever in a comic book store was 1976 in Arlington, VA on family vacation. My dad was feeling benevolent and so the whole family went inside. I buy the Neal Adams' X-Men issues. I open them in the back of the family station wagon and sure as heck they had panels cut out. (Comics were still sold on spinners at the time. This was just back issues IIRC and other nostalgic stuff.)

3) Around 1975 I buy Captain America Issue 74 in VG (from the late 1940s) through Richard Alf's comic book catalogue (he advertised in comics). Alf sends me Hulk Number 2 instead in fair condition. In those days since all commerce was through letters you were always told to list alternates. I was really pissed as I was all about the Golden Age at that time and never cared too much about Hulk. Alf was the co-founder of San Diego Comic Con btw.

Anyhow, all this happened to me around the age of 14-15. Talk about feeling like you were walking around with a sign that said "kick me!"

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I can't say I've ever been pleasantly surprised other than that issue of Action Comics #1 in near mint I got in a grab bag of comics at a flea market once. Or was that Detective 27? I forget it's been so long ago now.

Colin Jones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Humanbelly said...

Three bone-chillng words:

MARVEL.
VALUE.
STAMPS.


HB

Redartz said...

Colin- well, one benefit to your Conan blume would be the inclusion of the magnificent Red Sonja story by Adams and Maroto. Originally featured in SSoC #1, if memory serves.
And that is frustrating, when your pages fall out! Most books I've encountered hold together well, but there have been a few that, as you say, self- destructed.

Charlie- wow, that reconstructed cover you describe would be infuriating. Of course that was back before repairs were required information when selling comics. Some repairs are painfully and obviously amateurish. But some are quite sophisticated.
Incidentally, do you still have your Hulk 2? Probably worth quite a bit more now...

HB- yep, MVS. And I must confess, I was one of those stamp cutters. Mea Culpa...

McSCOTTY said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
McSCOTTY said...

I picked up 1970s issues of Amazing Spiderman (issues 57,58 and 117) in a Liverpool indoor market whilst on a visit to the city. They only cost about £3 each but when I got home and opened them up they all had several panels cut out of various pages and the pervious owner had drawn over a lot of the interior pages in biro. Like most others I have had similar experiences of buying back issues in marts / markets in other towns and finding those ruddy Marvel Value Stamps were cut out.

One good surprise, I picked up a 1963 Beezer annual for £1 thinking it was a reprint as the condition was so good, but it was an original copy and had some lovely cartoon art by the late great Leo Baxendale.

DD said...

One of the reasons I don't buy from a mail order is being burned by getting, let's see, Spidey #27 with Spider-Man cut out of the cover, pin-up missing from FF #10, Human Torch figure colored in by magic marker FF#24 annnd of course the MVS missing from several.
On the plus side though, I was surprised by a Steranko signature on the front page of Cap #111 and FF#99 has a double cover.
Part of my focus when buying back issues is replacing the books I cut the stamps out of (fortunately my LCS has a great back issue selection going back to the 50's), but I think Hulk 180 & 181 will be a little out of my range.

Anonymous said...

Bought a bagged BETTY AND VERONICA and later found that someone had crudely embiggened the girls’ breasts with a black ball-point pen in just about every single panel. And I mean REALLY embiggened — like enormous ICBMs jutting out of their torsos. The budding Bill Ward Wannabe had also paid particular attention to giving them super-accentuated ‘V’ shaped cleavage. To each their own, but I found the effect to be entirely un-appealing!

I have an issue of HAUNTED LOVE — in the lead story drawn by Tom Sutton, a previous owner had enhanced the heroine’s lIps with a red felt-tip pen, again in practically every panel. It was done fairly well, I didn’t even notice it at first, but still....grrr.

In addition to the usual MVS woes, I’ve had other instances of assorted panels being snipped out by previous owners. Just recently I bought a relatively inexpensive copy of MIGHTY CRUSADERS #4 (1966) off eBay— it was in fairly nice shape except for one panel that had been removed (very neatly). Actually, TWO panels — it was a two-sided page, each side laid out in a rigid six-panel grid. The registration was so spot-on that the surgery left a square-shaped hole in the lower tier on each side, the gutters lined up so precisely that you really can’t tell which of the two panels the previous owner felt so compelled to remove. I’ve since found a scan of the complete story online, and frankly, neither panel seems terribly remarkable — but one of them obviously meant something to someone, once upon a time.

And I have a Charlton comic (don’t remember exactly WHICH comic) that had two separate ads featuring the smiling face of Bobby Sherman — one Bobby face was pretty big, and the other was tiny (maybe an ad for an 8 x 10 glossy or an iron-on sticker). Both had been angrily scribbled over in black crayon. I wonder what that was all about....

b.t.

Anonymous said...

I don’t remember finding any ‘nice’ unexpected surprises in any comic, but I have a few autographs in books that the sellers apparently didn’t know about. One of the most interesting is an Arkham House GENIUS LOCI by Clark Ashton Smith that has Fritz Leiber’s autograph on the fly-leaf. Presumably it was Leiber’s own personal copy (he was known to be a CAS fan) and unfortunately, it’s possible that he may have sold it during one of his recurring bouts of alcoholism and poverty.

On a less melancholy note, I also own three paperback John Creasey novels which are embossed on the title page with this fancy-shmancy sunburst-type design saying ‘From The Library Of Harlan Ellison’. Not an autograph, but...interesting.

b.t.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

McScotty - you seriously own original Baxendale work in a Beezer no less?

My understanding is original DC Thomson art is basically non-existent? I've been on ebay numerous times looking for original Dandy, Dennis the Menace, Beano, etc. and it just isn't there.

And you have something he did before he left DCT in the early 60s?

That was ONE LUCKY FIND! I'll give you a couple bucks for it?

Your story reminds me (oddly) of when I scored Dandy 1959 and 1961 on ebay. The covers were cherry. I bought them for a total of $20. But the insides were murdered, lol. Panels cut out, puzzles worked... I mean, I could have lived with the ubiquitous inscription like "Dear Charlie, Merry Christmas love Grandma and Grandpa" lol.

McSCOTTY said...

CH. I meant the Beezer annual was an original 1963 version. DCT do facsimiles and I thought that's what I purchased but it was an original 1963 annual. It's has about 4 pages of Leo's work all very nice Sadly not original Leo art

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: