Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Adventure (s) in Comics: A Gift of Comics Recalled




Redartz: Welcome, everyone, to another little nook in our BitBA library: "Adventures in Comics". Under this banner, Martinex1 and I will be doing a little storytelling. Specifically, tales of our experiences in, with, and about comics. And, of course, we look forward to hearing about your experiences in response! Incidentally, let me take this opportunity to emphasize: we love your input and suggestions. If you have an idea, or a post you'd like to present, or a story of your own, please email us at   backinthebronzeage@gmail.com . We'd love to hear from you!

And now, to the subject for today: Comics we've received as gifts. You may recall our recent "Black Friday" post regarding what comic material you'd give someone. Today is the flip side; what treasures have you been the recipient of?  My 3 stories follow...

When I first got hooked on comics, my parents weren't entirely convinced of the wisdom therein. But as antique collectors,it wasn't long before they were right on board with me. This hit home for me one weekend, when they returned home from an antiquing excursion. Among their pickups was a small bundle of comics; about 6 miscellaneous comics from the late 50's. One, I recall, was a Dell Giant Bugs Bunny issue. They had bought me vintage comics for collecting, as opposed to a newsstand book for a quick read on a trip. It was so gratifying that they recognized and supported my enthusiasm for the hobby. For years afterward we would watch for each other's interests as we worked our way through flea markets and antique malls.

 
A few years later, they gave me a biggie for Christmas: Avengers #1! My collection had grown quite a bit over the first few years, and my Dad was kind enough to drag me and my collecting buddy to the comic shop every now and then. On one of those trips I pointed out a few cool books, and lo and behold: come Christmas morning, one flat package opened to reveal that Lee/Kirby classic! Looking back from today's perspective, it's humbling to me how supportive they were, especially in an era when comics still carried a certain "throwaway" stigma among the greater populace. My comic hobby could never have been as rewarding had it not been for all their help and kindness. And boy, I wish I still had that book; it was another casualty in my early 90's selloff  (you know, young parenthood, pay the bills, all that sort of thing).










The final story involves my youngest son. When he was a boy,  I used to take  him with me to work from time to time, as I worked alone in a frame shop. He would occupy himself with a supply of Legos, or toys, or comics (SOMEONE got him started reading those things). At lunch we would make a run down the street to a comic and ballcard shop, and pick up a few goodies. He was probably about 7 at the time. 
Anyway, that year he apparently got together with his mother and plotted a surprise. On Christmas morning, he gave me a small package; inside were two comics he'd picked out for me himself! One was Spectacular Spider-Man Annual #1, with Dr. Octopus. The other was Spectacular Spider-Man #77, with the Gladiator. He managed to get them on one of our trips without my knowledge. Knowing my fondness for the web-slinger, he picked a couple of winners for his old man. Those books still hold honored places in my comic bookshelf.






Yes, I've been very fortunate to have friends and family who have aided my collection many times and in many ways. How about you: did you ever open up any Christmas packages to find comic goodness awaiting? Gift us all with your stories!



14 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello All, I would always get a few gems in my stocking. I think I've mentioned before that my brother and I would start to read the comics and mom would have to get us to stop and open our actual presents! One year I got a Marvel Holiday Treasury. I must have read it 20 times by the end if Christmas break. Christmas comics held a special place in my collection and weren't up for trades. I continued the comics in the stocking tradition with my son thru the years. As he got older I would get him some key books too. Comics and Christmas have always gone together for me and I've passed that down.

Dr. O said...

I got my awesome comic gift YESTERDAY!

Met up with my good friend Ken to see Rogue One last night and he pulls from his bag a holiday gift for me. Knowing of my rule that I never spend more than $5 for a comic, he'd heard me lament that this means that certain comics important to me in completing my collection might be forever out of reach, like X-Men #129, first appearance of one of my all-time faves, Kitty Pryde! So he got it for me! What a pal! It is in like VG shape, but I don't mind. All I want is to be able to read it in the original form.

God bless us, everyone! Mutant and child!

Steve Does Comics said...

In Britain, we have the tradition of getting comic book annuals for Christmas. They have hardback covers and are printed on much thicker stock than normal comics. This meant that I got a bunch of Marvel UK annuals every year between 1972 and 1979, featuring all my favourite heroes. I plan to do a post about the 1976/1977 annuals on my own dear blog this Christmas Day, provided I don't forget.

On top of all that goodness; for Christmas 1976, I got the first three Marvel Origins books. Needless to say, they were among my favourite presents of all time.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I second Steve above. Due to Scottish ancestors we received D. C. Thomson annuals which are big hardcover "comic" books like Dandy, Beezer, Beano, Dennis the Menace (no relation)... from Scotland every Christmas! Really good stuff which started up in the 1940s . My kids today and all the nieces-nephews read the old ones since the company has suffered the same fate as comics in the USA. Anyone from the British Commonwealth would know them.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Steve - got any Dennis the Menace annuals from the 1960s you could loan me, LOL! Merry Holidays!

Steve Does Comics said...

Charlie, I had three 1970s Beano annuals when I was younger. Sadly, I no longer possess them. They were indeed epic productions.

Edo Bosnar said...

Redartz, great stories, especially the last one. Loved it.
I usually got some comic-related stuff for Christmas; initially I recall getting the Holiday Grab-bag Treasury (second one with the heroes pulling the sleigh on the cover and the super-hero snowball fight in Central Park inside) not necessarily as a present - my mom bought it for me while we were Christmas shopping. I vaguely recall that that was how I got another Treasury, the one featuring reprints of the Fantastic Four vs. Galactus story with Gabriel.
For several years running, though, I received those big Marvel Fireside reprint books as actual Christmas presents: Greatest Superhero Battles, Son of Origins, Superhero Women and Bring on the Bad Guys (I'm pretty sure I got the latter two at the same time). I just have these great memories of spending the rainy, cold, miserable (typical for Oregon) days after Christmas huddled up in my bed reading those from cover to cover.

Steve and Charlie, I had a few of those hardcover UK annuals, which I ordered from a comic shop catalogue. One reprinted the Steranko issues of Captain America, and the other featured the Thomas/Adams X-men stories with the Sentinels. Those were really nice books, and I wish I still had them...

William said...

The best comic book gift I ever received was an Amazing Spider-Man #1 when I was around 19 or 20 years old. It was a "Good" condition copy that had come into my local comic shop. They put a pretty reasonable price of $120 on it and I gave them $20 to hold it for me until I could come up with the rest of the cash to pay it off. Well as it turns out I didn't have to come up with the rest because a week or two later, on Christmas morning, I opened a flat little package from my parents and to my great delight there was ASM #1 staring up at me. Still probably my favorite Christmas gift I ever received.

Unfortunately, like Redartz, I had to sell off that book a couple of years ago (along with the rest of my Spider-Man collection) to get a down payment on a house. Y'know life and all that…

The 2nd best comic book related Christmas gifts I ever got were Daredevil #6, 7 and 8, all in "very good/fine" condition with stunning artwork by Wally Wood. I still have all of those. Daredevil #7 has long been a favorite comic of mine, in which he battles the Sub-Mariner in a David vs. Goliath style confrontation. That is also the issue where he first dons his all red costume. Plus Stan Lee once said that is his favorite comic he ever wrote. Not too shabby. DD #6 features a yellow costumed DD taking on a trio baddies, and #8 features the first appearance of Stilt Man.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hi Steve, my folks still have our original well read (!) beano, dandy, hotspur, valiant, beezer , etc. They are all on eBay reasonably priced generally. But you pay dearly for Dennis the Menace, Broons, and Oor Willie! Loved reading Willie as a kid...

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hi Edo, the hard cover annuals are all on eBay even in the USA! Pretty reasonable too! I still break out a hard cover Tarzan by Hogarth (!) from the early 70s and it's still reasonable on eBay! To me it's the definitive origin of Tarzan.

Redartz said...

Thanks for sharing today, everyone!

Luther- Comics in the stocking is a nice touch. We have given comics but always boxed them. Seeing those colorful covers poking out of the top of a stocking would be exciting...

Dr. O- you have a fine friend there, and a great comic too. And there is ano irreplaceable appeal to reading the stories in their original form, convenient as the tpb's are.

Steve and Charlie- you've piqued my curiosity. I'm going to make a New Year's resolution to pick up one of your Annuals on ebay. Beano? Beezer? So much I don't know about...

William- wow, you have been the recipient of some mighty nice books! That Daredevil 7 is one of the greatest comics ever; story, art and cover...

Martinex1 said...

I'm late to the Christmas party...but here is my recollection... I rarely received comic related materials for Christmas but I distinctly remember a long sleeved Superman shirt that my parents got me. It's funny because Superman was never my favorite character but I sure wore that shirt a lot. It seems to show up in many family photos. Ha! Fourth grade - so right around 40 years ago -and I still remember that was the year of that shirt and the 100-In-One Electronic Kit from Radio Shack. Cheers everyone! Great memories and nice stories.

Steve Does Comics said...

Redartz, if you do get a UK annual on eBay, make sure it's from the 1960s or 1970s. Older annuals had about a million more pages than modern ones do.

Ward Hill Terry said...

I love these stories! My parents got me started with a copy of Jules Feiffer's "Great Comic Book Heroes." This must have been Christmas '75, possibly '74. Not too many years after that I also got a copy of "Bring On the Bad Guys." Also the Marvel calendar for 1977. My mom was not real keen on my hobby, especially as I got older, but she was great with those gifts! My favorite, though, was the copy of Superman Family #182, the first Dollar Comic. My little sister gave it to me.I was so impressed that she had found it and she spent a whole dollar on me! Christmas '76 was a good one!

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: