Monday, November 7, 2016

Panel Discussion: Avengers 165 Page 6


Martinex1:My partner and illustrious co-host Redartz came up with the brilliant idea to have an ongoing section of the blog to explore various aspects of comic art.    Here we may be looking at original art, pencils, inks, selected panels, storytelling, design, structure, artists, splash pages, and techniques.   Anything to do with the comic craft and creation is fair game in this section.  


Those of you that know me, know that the Count Nefaria arc in Avengers #164 through #166 initiated and firmed my life-long comic collecting.   The story has remained amongst the top of my favorites for decades.   So I would like to discuss some aspects of its story design here, while paying particular attention to a single page.


Recently I reread the tale and was fascinated by the succinct yet complex storytelling.   The creative team juggled a dozen characters each with diverse but merging motivations and story beats. I believe John Byrne, particularly during this era, interpreted the scripts keenly while also enhancing the work with expressive characterizations.  Whether with Chris Claremont, or here with Jim Shooter, he brought out the best in his collaborators.   But Shooter is no slouch as he ably maneuvered through the melodrama and tension within the team while also creating an adventure that continued to grow in conflict before coming to a satisfying resolution. In those issues, Shooter covered the Beast's insecurity amongst the scientists like Pym and Stark, Captain America's frustration with the lack of team discipline, Wanda's worry over the comatose Vision, the Whizzer's health issues, Thor's intermittent and mysterious disappearances, and Simon William's mysterious powers and insecurities, just to name a few.   He also covered the motivations for the villains Power Man, Whirlwind and the Living Laser, while also introducing Henry Peter Gyrich along the way.


How did they do it?  How did they cram so much detail in a three issue arc?  Below is a page from the second issue of that run after the team ran afoul of the newly empowered Nefaria.
 
Avengers Volume 1; #165
Writer: Jim Shooter
Penciler: John Byrne
Inker: Pablo Marcos
Letterer: Denise Wohl
Colorist: Phil Rachelson


This page (particularly that last panel) has been etched in my memory for nearly forty years.  Focused on the two characters of Wonder Man and Count Nefaria, these six panels carry more explanation and characterization than many full length comics.  If the readers knew absolutely nothing about the Avengers, the team members, or this particular conflict they would quickly understand Wonder Man's psyche.   He is powerful, constantly reminding those around him that he can go toe-to-toe with Thor, yet he is uncertain and afraid.   He is heroic in that he goes to battle despite his fear of death.    And in the end it is not enough against somebody like Nefaria.   The third panel is so expressive as Wondy realizes his best may mean nothing.  This recognition follows again in Panel 5 in the split second that Simon understands that Nefaria has not even budged.  There is a lot of talking going on as the fists fly, but the word balloons do not interfere with the action at all.   In fact, I feel that the length at which it takes to read the dialogue allows me to peruse the panels at a more reasonable pace until it is taken to its shocking conclusion with a simple KA-BLAM! 

Now imagine that each page in these issues is just as packed with nuance and that is why the story is so fondly recalled.  In addition to the A-list artistic headliners, Pablo Marcos who can sometimes be a little heavy does a wonderful job here as well.  I like how he adds a bit of detail to Byrne's normally muddle-free work.   I assume some of the facial lines, creases, and hair lines are Marcos' inks.  I know nothing about the letterer or colorist, but they stay nicely out of the way (which is important). 

An observed weakness however exists in those fourth and fifth panels. They are much too repetitive in my opinion, and I believe a more seasoned Byrne would have found a way to capture that moment of stunned ineffectiveness without being so repetitive.

While John Byrne handled the interior art for this arc, George Perez supplied the covers, inked consecutively by John Tartaglione, Mike Esposito, and Ernie Chan.

 


So now it is your turn, what do you think about this topic, storyline, and page?   How about the creators?  Does Page 6 meet your standards or is there something amiss?  And what panels stick in your head like the last panel on this page does in mine?   So without further ado, please join in and speak your mind.   Cheers all!


11 comments:

Doug said...

Hmmm... I may have to augment one of my Bronze Age catchphrases, and say that Nefaria got "Byrne blasted!"

It's a great page, but a question that's raised for me is whether or not Nefaria could increase his mass. He's obviously physically displaced by Wonder Man's first two punches, but then when the body blows start coming Nefaria holds them off with ab-strength only (sort of reminds me of the old Terry Crews Old Spice commercials).

This was a nice era for the Avengers, aside from the odd #163 one-off with the Champions. Shooter had the great fortune of teaming with Marvel's top-flight artists of the day, and it's why the last few years of the decade really shine bright for Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Doug

Redartz said...

Great issue to examine, Martinex1! Often a fill-in artist would be a disappointment, when you have a regular artist of Perez' caliber. But in this case we got Byrne, so a winner all around.

I agree about Marcos' inks. Pretty heavy normally (somehow his chins always seem especially prominent). The combo works pretty well here, though. The dismay on Wonder Man's face is apparent, and nicely rendered.

Doug- the later 70's were indeed a high point in Avengers history. Perhaps vendors and candidate for the highest...

pfgavigan said...

Hiya,

It's strange to think that just before these issues appeared my comic book buying had really dropped to the occasional purchase or two. I was just so tired of the inconsistencies of constantly rotating creatives, missed deadlines and the necessity of inventory stories. Really, only books like X-Men, Iron Fist and others kept me going to the local drug store and the comic spinner.

I can't say that these books marked the turn around for Marvel, I can't even say that they excited me. But I can say that they entertained me, got me interested, and got me back to that store every Wednesday to check out the latest offerings.

By the way, one of my favorite comic book scenes is in this story arc. When an incapacitated Captain America offers Wonder Man his shield to give Simon an edge (and confidence boost) before going back into battle. It was just three panels but so encapsulated both men's characters, and simply made so much sense, that it remains one of my favorite sequences.

Seeya,

pfgavigan

Edo Bosnar said...

Yep, this is a pretty memorable page from that story, especially Wonder Man getting punched through the wall - and just missing poor Jarvis.
Other memorable panel from this issue is the last one, when Thor appears, and well as some of the fight scenes from the next issue.
Byrne's art is wonderful throughout this story, and I don't mind Marcos' inks one bit. I agree with Doug about this being a great era for the Avengers - this followed on some really good stories that preceded it, and the Korvac saga was just around the corner, and then that great little run of about 10 issues with Byrne returning to do the art chores, and then a little more Perez. Great stuff...

Ward Hill Terry said...

Hi Guys!
I've just arrived from BAB, and I plan to be a regular! This is a great page. I have many complaints about later work from both writer and artist, but not with this story! I disagree about your complaint regarding the sameness of panels 4 and 5. It is great pacing. It shows Simon's reaction perfectly. (I love the little "eye flash".) With all the movement in the preceding panels, including the close-up of Simon to show his very animated face, the repetition displays the sudden halt to movement. And it perfectly sets up the power of that final panel! BTW,Doug, I read it as Nefaria setting his feet and holding his ground as an immovable object. Wonder Man isn't applying leverage and he is not quite an irresistible object. As to the characterization and pacing, I want to mention the next page where Jarvis's concern for Simon is quickly re-focused to how the damage to the mansion might have affected The Vision, who was in some sort of restorative tank. In that small sequence, we can see how these characters care for each other and think about each other and drop in some foreshadowing!

Martinex1 said...

Hi guys. Thanks for joining in on the conversation. And thanks for joining us Ward Hill Terry - we are glad you made it. And yes that next page with Jarvis and Viz was very nice; I can picture so clearly the Vision recuperating in that fluid tank. And pfg brought up another great moment when Wondy gets Cap's shield. I also liked so many other moments like Beast socializing to get his mind off of things, the villains launching a car into the Avengers meeting room, Nefaria unable to crush Cap's shield flings it at lightning speed nearly taking off Black Panther's head, the mysterious Henry Peter Gyrich making his way through the chaos to head to the mansion, and Vision dropping from the clouds with his body diamond dense. Phew! This was quite a read.

Greg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Humanbelly said...

My first thought was "Oho! A Byrne homage to the immortal Buscema-Blast!" 'Cause I swear it seems like that's what it must have been.

Marti, I wonder if the brief panel 4/5 sequence would would just a little better if they'd been able to put another visual beat in there? I really like Nefaria's immobility as a statement of incredible power a LOT-- I'm just not sure it has exactly the right pace or emphasis here-- not used to its fullest potential. If there were room on the page, there might be two ways to enhance it: 1) An added panel previous to these that depicts Wondy's wind-up into the punch, which gives us more of a sense of movement and the power behind the blow-- thus we have more of an expectation to see Nefaria move. Or, 2) A close-up frame between 4&5, showing Wondy's fist shoved up tight against Nefaria's unyielding gut-- to emphasize the "nothing's happened" moment.

But heck-- it's all so brilliant anyhoo that this is just paintin' a bigger grin on the Mona Lisa--- heh--

HB

Eric said...

Byrne usually is good with expressions and he succeeded wonderfully with Simon here. Plus insecure Simon was the first version that I knew so I prefer this version.

As for what panel works for me, I would cite the final page or panel of Thor 337 where a distraught Donald Blake Thor screams one word at the sky. Shivers every time.

William said...

My all-time favorite Avengers story. And the page you highlighted is the one that stands out most to me as well. I really wish Simon had worn that costume for a longer period of time. I liked it much more than the bland safari jacket look.

I often use art from this story to illustrate what I think comic art should be. Dynamic pencilling and inking with bold colors and in your face perspective.

Great topic.

Dr. O said...

I love that Nefaria punched Wondy so hard his shirt came off. Just a little absurd beefcake for those that like that kind of thing! ;)

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: