Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Adventures in Comics: A Gathering of Friends, Second Edition!






Redartz:  Greetings, gang! We interrupt our usual "Follow the Leader" today with a story about a great weekend. Last weekend was "C2E2" in Chicago; a comics/pop culture convention of fairly impressive size (no Comic Con San Diego, but pretty big for mid-America). And in a follow-up to the event two years ago, this year's con proved an opportunity for several of us to meet in person. So here's the story of the day. And what's more, you'll get some story from Charlie and Colin as well... Oh, and before we go any further, have you seen Doug's post from last week over at "Black, White and Bronze"? If not, be sure to check out his excellent coverage of the day. It's not a "Super Blog Team-Up", bur we could consider it a "Bronze Blog Two-in-One".

Anyway, at C2E2 in 2017, four of us familiar to regular followers of this column met up and had a great time : Doug, half of the dynamic duo who brought us "Bronze Age Babies", Charlie Horse 47, one of our most frequent commenters, and Martinex 1 and I (your humble hosts here).  That day went so well, we hoped to do a repeat at some point. It took two years, but last weekend that repeat came to pass; but with an exciting bonus: the surpise addition of Colin Bray, who travelled all the way across that big Atlantic pond to meet us and enjoy the show! And regarding Colin's visit, thanks to Charlie for prompting the original suggestion, and for hosting Colin while guiding him through the wonders that are Chicago.

For me the weekend's adventures began shakily Saturday. I had a fair bit of traveling distance (not near what Colin had, but still a pretty good drive); and had planned to stay overnight with my son and complete the journey Sunday morning. When that plan unexpectedly fell apart, Doug was kind enough to offer a spare bedroom; so the day was saved. With the added pleasure of an evening of rich conversation , courtesy of Doug and his gracious wife.

That spirited conversation continued Sunday morning, as Doug and  I made our way to McCormick Place, the convention venue (stopping for a delicous, and amazingly speedy, breakfast). The hall was gigantic. And the crowds? Massive; the place was packed. But impressively, upon opening the officials funneled that crowd inside pretty efficiently. The lines moved quickly. More about lines coming up...

Shortly after we entered the Convention floor, Marti, Charlie and Colin arrived. 

Redartz, Doug, Colin, Martinex and Charlie


Introductions were made, hands clasped, t-shirts compared, and we began by heading for "Artist's alley". C2E2 featured a very impressive lineup of Bronze age comics talent; the first we visited was Joe Staton. 

Joe was quite friendly, and had some nice prints available (one of which Doug took home; an

enviable purchase). Staton also had copies of "Dick Tracy Meets the Spirit" available- he has been drawing the strip for some time, and this comic collected a very cool story arc wherein Tracy teams up with Will Eisner's famous detective. We talked briefly about his stint at First Comics, and then he signed my autograph mat...




 

This mat, by the way, has been picking up creator signatures since Louisville Con last year. Upon filling it, a collage of appropriate comic art will fill the center, and then it'll hang proudly upon my wall. So each new autograph makes it even more meaningful.

 










Soon we moved on to Archie artist  Dan Parent's booth. After picking up another signature, the five of us split up to wander the convention a bit. I added autographs and visits with Kevin Nowlan, Marv Wolfman, and Michael Golden. The only disappointment of the day came upon trying to see George Perez: the line was a 3 1/2 hour wait; more time than I could devote to one pursuit in an already full day. 

Next up was a tour of the dealer's area. There were loads of booths hawking figurines, Funko's, cosplay materials, books, gaming, and much more. As for comics, there were probable about 20 dealers, including a few biggies: Metropolis Comics, Harley Yee, Torpedo. Doug picked up a nice stack of TPB's, I'm still trying to get through the stack from the last show. So I picked out a small stack of 'floppies', a few miscellaneous comics of interest. 

The biggie was Archie Annual 12: for some time I've wanted to acquire a comic that appeared on the newsstands during the month I was born. With that book, mission accomplished. A book as old as I am, and almost as wrinkly!

Of course wandering the convention floor meant encountering many fine examples of cosplay. Here's a few great examples:






During the course of the day, the five of us met up a couple times in the upstairs snack bar area and enjoyed some great conversations. This was the high point of my day, a chance to visit at length with a group of rarely seen but deeply valued friends. The discussions were rich and wide ranging, but understandably centered on comics and our mutual love for the medium, And fortunately, nobody came and shooed us off considering we had only purchased a couple of cold drinks!




 













All told, the day went much too fast. I could easily have spent hours more just talking with the gang. Indeed, it was a rewarding day for all; to the extent that we are already making plans for a third meeting. Personally, I can't wait.  

And now, a word from a couple of the other participants:


Charlie Horse 47-


The highlight was having Colin fly in from the UKI  

The second highlight was the four of us rallying again after two years!  Lightening can strike twice!  That Colin was there was all the better.

The third highlight was the passion for original art you shared with me.  I have merely grazed the surface to this passion and hobby!

I did enjoy talking to Joe Stanton.  In particular b/c he is doing Dick Tracy for Tribune Syndicate and just a few days before we were able to get the previous artist Jim Brozman to draw Colin a picture of Dick.  Here's a link to the video...

 IMG_1278.MOV

I was happy to get two autographed Dick Tracy comics from him (for a nominal contribution to the Heroes for Comics fund).

Oddly, I bought a relatively new trade, (new for all us old timers) regarding Bucky's return.  I think it was called Winter Soldier?  I was quite surprised that all of us had read that since, in general, we haven't been reading comics since 1990s? 

And I did enjoy getting within a few feet of David Tennant with Doug.  But, while all of you seemed to know him from Dr. Who I only know him from the UK series Broadchurch, in which one of the stars was Jodie Whitaker.  Coincidentally, Jodie is the new Dr. Who.  Charlie thinks she makes a fine Dr. Who b/c she is quite pretty and able to look very serious without looking intelligent at the same time, and thus not intimidating Charlie!  
It also interests me that we are interested in art more than comics.  Well, suffice to say that we've all more/less read everything from the Bronze Age that we intend to read (or at least have it sitting in a stack to be read, lol) so we aren't likely to acquire the comics again?
Lastly, as Red, et al. have mentioned, it was a great time having Colin with us and we look forward to a repeat in 2021.  That we were able to make that connection would only have been possible with the internet.  So, chalk one up for the Net!  Might I add that we consider going on Saturday in the midst of the mayhem???



Colin- I spent the Con wandering randomly through the aisles reminding myself constantly 'hey I'm at C2E2! In Chicago! Chicago!'

Beyond the overall sensory experience, meeting Charlie and Marti and Red and Doug kind of WAS the Con. It was so good to meet up and share the common language of comics and friendship. And middle-age.

OK, let's be frank - it felt good to share the common language of middle-aged comics friendship. ;)

But if you force my arm behind my back I would say that seeing five copies of Amazing Fantasy #15 all in a row was a highlight. Also the conversation with artist Eddie Campbell, who has redrawn and colorised 'From Hell' - one of my favorite graphic novels. The newly serialised version looks sweet with his subtle color tints.
Thank you friends for making this Brit feel very welcome, not just at the Con but in your country. The Internet can indeed be a force for good!




24 comments:

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Yowza! I'm first? Maybe that means I also get up too early for work, LOL!

Thanks for posting this Red. This is a perfect summary to a grand time (Doug did a great job as well!). Hard to believe it was only a week or so ago that Colin crossed the pond and we were touring Chicago and C2E2!

Yes, the internet can be used for good! And the conversations went well beyond comics!

My only observation of the C2E2? I finally decided that hunting through vendors' comics isn't as fun as pre-internet days... I've grown used to the internet! I was interested in getting Cap America 110 to fill a hole but I quickly became quite impatient with the process, lol.

Cheers all! Looking forward to 2021 and anyone else who wants to join in the merriment!

Charlie

Doug said...

It was a great time shared with great people. Seriously - if any readers ever get the chance to hang out with us, you won't regret it! But in all sincerity, it was a wonderful day filled with great conversation. It was the time spent round the table, and my car ride with Redartz, that provided the treasured memories. Super guys, fun day!

Doug

Humanbelly said...

MAN this is an endearing and heart-warming post-- I truly love it---

Just reading the account and seeing the pics (many kudos, Red) and video (this is great, Charlie--!) conveys a wonderful sense of having been there with youse guys. And the group shot is kind of magical in itself-- put you guys in costumes, and have Alex Ross paint it, and it would be a terrific JSA cover-- a time-lost, retired super-team reunion. . . "The Forgotten Five". . . something like that. And the guy perfectly photo-bombing between Colin & Marti would be your clever arch-nemesis, preparing to blow up the exhibit hall. . .

Doug, are we seeing a fitter, trimmer you these days? Yer lookin' good.

Colin, your a hero for making the trip-! (Also, I got that same shirt for Christmas- as a sweatshirt-- this year. . . nice-!)

Point well-taken about not being driven by that feverish desire to hurl one's-self frantically into the back-issue stacks. We all remember it distinctly I'm sure, yeah? Heart honestly racing. . . mind somehow clouded AND clear at the same time. . . fingers trembling slightly even as they try to race nimbly from front of box to back. . . the arms-over-head THRILL of actually discovering a long-missing piece to your personal-collection puzzle (at an affordable price). . . But it's also cool, and even kinda comforting, to be able to acknowledge that we're at an age where that's not what fulfills us anymore. CLEARLY the value of this event for our gang (you guys, and by proxy us as well, I think) is in the connection, interaction, conversation, and shared experience. Sitting at a concession table for a good chunk of time, chatting happily away, in a comics-centric environment? Man, that is a MAGICAL convention experience.

Thanks a million, fellows!

HB

Doug said...

Hi, HB -

Kind of you to notice! Today (April 2) is actually the one-year "anniversary" of the journey my wife and I began. She really wanted to lose some weight ahead of our younger son's June 2 2018 wedding. So we both started a diet called Food Fuels, which really isn't a diet in terms of going hungry or eating strange things, but more just a changing of what you eat and when you eat it. By the wedding date, we'd each lost over 22 pounds. The lowest I got was a loss of 28, which actually put me at the weight the day we got married (way back in 1988). We've managed to keep almost all of it off, and I'm really glad we did it. Should have done it much sooner!

Doug

Anonymous said...

In 2017 it was Charlie who took the group photo so we didn't see him but now we get to see him at last :D

Redartz said...

Oh, Colin J- glad you stopped by. Did you see the news about the end-Cretacious fossil deposit linked to the asteroid hit? Amazing...

Steve Does Comics said...

Hello, all. It's good to see you had a good time. Obviously, the fact that two of you had a close encounter with Doctor Who is what most impresses me most.

Mike Wilson said...

Looks like a fun time, though I was hoping you'd all be in costume (yeah, I know, not gonna happen!) Redartz, I see you got Amazing Spider-Man 197 with Kingpin ... great choice. And we finally get to see what Charlie looks like too!

Anonymous said...

Bronze Blog Two-in-One! Love it! Starring our "heroes" Robert (Redartz), Mike (Martinex1), Joe (Charlie Horse 47), Doug (The Bronze Age Baby?) and Colin (The Brit??). Did I get those right? Kinda, sorta like secret identities.

Glad you guys had a great time!

Tom

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Guys - You think I look OK in those photos but you should have seen me staring at Action #1 for sale by Metropolis comics. I was so, so, so disappointed b/c though it looked in great condition it had been trimmed on the cover. Here I had a $1 MM burning a hole in my pocket too! NOT! LOL!

Hope more of you can make it to 2021!

Redartz said...

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. It was a terrific day, wish you ALL could have been there. May I echo Doug and Charlie in extending an early invitation to one and all for 2021!

Mike W.- yes, ASM 197 was a favorite from 'back when'. Found a Sunday dealer discounting, and picked it up for about what a current book costs...

Humanbelly said...

Red, Colin J-- that "Last Day For the Dinosaurs" deposit is incredible-! I can hardly wait for the Creationist wing of my family to start finding ways to discredit it. . .

And. . . wasn't there also recent publicity about an extraordinary (and huge) fossil bed from the earliest era of complex aquatic life forms? Consisting of invertebrates and extremely soft-tissued creatures like jellyfish? Things that are practically impossible to capture as fossils? SO cool. . .

So--- early spring of '21, eh?
Cripes-- I've sold my soul to a 2-season-long Shakespeare project. I wonder if I could possibly work C2E2 in as a Known Conflict. . . (??)
Hmm--- maybe we could open a booth of our own and. . . sell curmudgeonly observations and opinions?? Or should we just stick to kisses. . . . . ?

HB

Redartz said...

HB- yes, those early Cambrian fossils from a site in China. Amazing. The discoveries in the world of Paleontology in recent years are staggering! Incidentally, have you ever read "Wonderful Life" by Stephen Jay Could? Tells the story of the Burgess Shale fossils which are similar to the recent Chinese find. Great book...

And hey, perhaps you could swing a visit to the old lakefront haunts in two years...and as for our booth, my sons would suggest we offer bad Dad jokes. Along with those curmudgeonly opinions...

Anonymous said...

Red, I hadn't heard about those fossils so thanks for telling me !! That's an amazing discovery. I've always been a bit sceptical that a single asteroid impact wiped out the dinosaurs but the more I understand about the event the more catastrophic it seems to have been. Do you know a radio show called RADIOLAB ? It's an American show but it gets broadcast on BBC radio. A recent edition was devoted entirely to the end-Cretaceous asteroid impact. But BBC radio also has its' own weekly science show called INSIDE SCIENCE and last Thursday's edition didn't even mention those China fossils !! They preferred to discuss whale migrations instead. I'll await this week's edition to see if they mention the asteroid-impact fossils.

HB mentioned Creationists - Britain is a very secular country so creationists and religious fundamentalists tend to keep a low profile but around 15 years ago two Jehovah's Witnesses knocked on my door so I got into a conversation with them. They didn't believe in evolution so I asked them why scientists would lie about evolution if it wasn't true. They said Satan was putting evil thoughts into scientists' minds...

Humanbelly said...

Oh man, RadioLab is an excellent show-- ! (As the tangent meanders further afield. . . )
Myself, I catch it frequently although not regularly. . . and sometimes I have to choose NOT to listen to it if I'm rushing somewhere, because I KNOW I will end up sitting in the car to hear the whole segment, regardless. Always think of the two hosts as the "Little Guy" and the "Big Guy".

HB

Edo Bosnar said...

Late to this conversation, had a bit of a busy day yesterday and didn't really have time to comment. But I loved reading the post, and looking at the photos - a great follow-up to Doug's convention report last week.
Sounds like a great day - it's so cool that you guys all got to meet; I kind of envy all of the great conversations you guys had, and I already mentioned to Doug that I'm a bit envious that you all had the opportunity to meet Joe Staton. Also, good job on snagging those other signatures, Red.

Colin J., re: Radiolab. Yes, I've been listening to it for many years. It's absolutely fantastic. That show you mentioned, by the way, about the Cretaceous extinction event, was originally released about 5-6 years ago. Here's a link to the list of Radiolab episodes at Wikipedia, which also has links to them at the official website, where they can be downloaded.

Anonymous said...

Edo, thanks for that link. The asteroid impact episode was fascinating but I didn't realise it was originally broadcast that long ago. I heard it about a year ago which is why I said it was "recent".

Edo Bosnar said...

Colin, yeah, even in the US, individual earlier episodes of Radiolab are rebroadcast often on various public radio stations.
Since I'm not in the US, either, I pretty much depend on the website to listen to any of their content.

The Prowler said...

Bad Dad jokes!?! I've got a few...


Can you imagine that an innocent online query on the "Inhumans" led me to a blog that led me to a link that eventually got me to here!!! I know! Right?

From my viewpoint, as soon as we know when 2021 is I need to know. We start signing up for vacation time in December of the previous year.



To answer a question about my songs. Nope, don't have all the lyrics in my head. I do have small parts of many songs in my head but very few whole songs. Sometimes, it's the last song I heard on my drive home, sometimes it's loosely associated with the day's topic and sometimes it's just a fun song. As I've mentioned before, I'm in the booth for my local high school softball team, so I stay current from their music choices. As an old guy, I am appalled by what "they" call music nowadays. Also surprised by how many "classics" they know, mostly from TV or video games. Living On A Prayer and Free Ride are on this year's playlist as well as the Jonas Brothers new one, "Sucker", Post Malone's "Sunflower" and Kane Brown's "What Ifs". I use the Audacity software to trim most of them down to two minutes. The one that most people have asked me about it the Chance The Rapper Back Street Boys Doritos commercial.

Today's offering is a song that was banned by the BBC for "acts of disobedience and lawlessness". From 1963, it's The Coasters...

(Fe-fe, fi-fi, fo-fo, fum
I smell smoke in the auditorium

Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown
He's a clown, that Charlie Brown
He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see
(Why's everybody always pickin' on me)

That's him on his knees
I know that's him
Yellin' 7 come 11
Down in the boys' gym

Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown
He's a clown, that Charlie Brown
He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see
(Why's everybody always pickin' on me)

Who's always writing on the wall
Who's always goofing in the hall
Who's always throwing spit balls
Guess who (who, me) yeah, you

Who walks in the classroom, cool and slow
Who calls the English teacher, Daddy-O

Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown
He's a clown, that Charlie Brown
He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see
(Why's everybody always pickin' on me)

Who walks in the classroom, cool and slow
Who calls the English teacher, Daddy-O

Charlie Brown, Charlie Brown
He's a clown, that Charlie Brown
He's gonna get caught
Just you wait and see
(Why's everybody always pickin' on me)).


Humanbelly said...

O Sweet Fancy Methuselah-- Prowl, you did NOT just say, "I am appalled by what 'they' call music nowadays"--??? Did you--??? Dude, you are BURYIN' us, here!! We might as well be standing outside a gin-joint in our spats, waistcoat, and pocket-watch-- complaining about the sounds of that horrendous "Be-bop" that is emanating from within-!

HB

Redartz said...

Prowl- thanks for the origin story for your musical monologues!

And the BBC banned the Coasters? Really? Wowwwwww....

And that Audacity software you mentioned is pretty useful. I use it to convert vinyl and cassette tapes to digital files (came with the USB turntable).

Aaaand, the countdown for 2021 is already underway, 2 years goes by just like (*) that, you know! Watch this space in the months to come...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ColinBray said...

Coming super-late to the post, all I wish to add is a further thank you to Charlie. Not only did he host my visit generously and magnificemtly but thru him realised for the first time that I need reading glasses. Bronze Age letters pages never looked better!

And HB, if you pick this reply up, have you ever wondered why the eclectic choice of heroes on that particular shirt? Charlie and me spent much of the weekend speculating the reasons. Why no female characters? And why almost the entire cast of Inhumans?


Humanbelly said...

I totally wondered the same thing, Colin--- although I didn't have anyone to bounce theories off of, I'm afraid. It's almost like they threw darts at a poster of portrait thumbnails. I was also trying to play a little personal game of "Who was the penciler?" with them--- 'cause those images do range over quite a span of years, I believe.

The no-females aspect does irk me considerably, to be honest. She-Hulk, Thundra, Black Widow, Storm, Valkyrie--- PLENTY of great women that deserve representation.

BUT-- I do love it, regardless. I wore it all day on December 26th. A gift from my sister-in-law, bless her-!

HB

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: