Thursday, August 24, 2017

This and That: All about Pin-Up Pages...




Redartz:  Hello culture fans!  Today we have a treat for you. Nothing but eye candy, comic style. Yes, we're talking about pin-up pages. Just a little extra goodie added into a comic, not part of a story but always a welcome addition. There have been dramatic, artistically breathtaking pinups. 'Cheesecake' and 'beefcake' type pinups. Humorous pinups. Educational/historic pinups. Tribute pinups. Indeed there are feature  pages galore. Often found in Annuals and anniversary issues, frequently seen in romance and teen comics. And certainly a common inclusion in good old superhero comics. So Marti and I will offer up a smorgasbord of one-page (and sometimes two-page) wonders. By the way, the Batman /Robin two-pager below is a seldom-seen gem; by Carmine Infantino and Murphy Anderson- from Batman 181, the intro of Poison Ivy. Often removed, which is why finding that key book complete can be challenging...



Martinex1:  I have to start by saying that I love pin-ups.   My start with comics included pass-me-down books from the Silver and early Bronze Age, and those comics seemed to be laden with extras including pin-ups, diagrams, and team poses.   But when we first traded messages about discussing this topic, my mind immediately went to the Fantastic Four.  That book seemed to always have some pin-up and Jack Kirby seemed to relish in the creation of those.



Redartz:  Great call on the FF. That book really did feature some amazing pinup shots. Kirby was a master at these, just as he mastered so much more. 

Martinex1: I always enjoyed when when the team "autographed" the art as if they were directing a message right to the reader.   During John Byrne's tenure on the book he reinvigorated the concept and created some of his own; he even included the "signatures" on his team pin-up.





Redartz:  Quite right, Marti. Byrne was just as adept at these pinups as the King was. I love how much personality he gives the team members. 
 Of course, Marvel's other early giant, the web-slinger, was no slouch in the pinup department either. Here's my favorite pinup from the Amazing Steve Ditko. Steve did so many pinups, in regular issues and annuals, it's hard to pick just one, but this is just plain fantastic.



Martinex1:  I was just looking at that page the other day.   Not only does it make Spidey wonderfully mysterious, it acted as almost a checklist of all the villains he faced up until that point. I wonder if Ditko inked that himself.

Redartz: And, how can we not give Mr. Romita Sr. a nod?   By the way, the center page below is from Amazing Spider-Man 600, just to show that the pinup is not completely dead! The page on the right, below, is a wonderful bit of fun from "Unknown Tales of Spider-Man" Annual 2, by Archie artist Dan DeCarlo.  I just love that...





Martinex1: I would have liked to see DeCarlo draw a Marvel hero comic; that would have been fun.  In the early heyday, Marvel stretched the Pin-Up Pages to include some oddball characters, lesser known entities, and even villains.  Thor, and all of the characters therein, was second on my mind when thinking about this topic; that book had some great pin-ups.  In some cases I learned about the characters as there was added script to explain their history.  It was a bit of a precursor to the handbooks of the 1980s.





Martinex1: I also recall pin-ups with cutout outfits and fashions.  My sisters used to play with those paper dolls and their clothes.  Betty, Veronica, Katy Keene, Chili, and even Sugar and Spike had those pages.  I am sure that type of theme is lost to the ages.   





Redartz:  Glad you noted these, and especially my good friends Sugar and Spike! Of course, many of the pinups found in Archie comics were sort of one-panel jokes, such as this beaut :


Martinex1:  Although not nearly as frequent, there were some pin-ups that crept later into the Bronze Age that I really enjoyed.  I remember being intrigued by these Micronauts and ROM pages.


Redartz:  Those are sharp, indeed. Some of the coolest artwork in comics can be found in pinups, such as these from Barry Windsor-Smith, Bernie Wrightson, Curt Swan...


 Adam Kubert, Will Eisner, and Brian Bolland:


And of course Dell/Gold Key often had pinups in their television-based comics, sometimes using photographs...





And finally, let me add a big favorite from Legion of Superheroes 300, an incredible two-page spread from Kieth Giffen and Larry Mahlstedt. If you look closely you might find a couple guest stars.





Martinex1:  Well Red, this was a fun journey and it had me looking at some art that I hadn't perused in decades (and some I had never seen).   It really goes back to a nostalgic time, and it was interesting to see how much extra effort the creators and publishers put into their work back in the day.  Maybe pin-ups were just page filler, but I always liked how they were presented and what they added to the comic book experience. Thanks for inviting me to opine on the topic.

Redartz:  Thank you, Marti, for joining me in saluting these great extras found only in the world of comics (you don't get pinup shots in movies, or a special insert paragraph in a novel). Just one more reason to love the medium of comic books!


15 comments:

Killraven said...

Those are great examples guys!

I remember seeing those Kirby FF ones in reprints. And of course Byrne who loved to bring back some of the Silver Age during his run.

I also liked the diagram pages you would get in the annuals or milestone issues, like Avengers Mansion or the Baxter Building. I would spend much time and eye strain looking over all the rooms and what not.

There is a Spidey pin up out there that breaks down all the aspects of his costume ,cool.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

I think ( because hard to see on my phone) I really enjoy the Black Widow pinup. Anyone know the artist?

Great post! I too really dug the pin ups from the old Annuals!

Edo Bosnar said...

Yeah, these are some great images. I love that one by Dan DeCarlo.

And I still remember that one from Legion #300. My favorite Easter egg is that you can catch a glimpse of Spider-man if you look carefully. I also just love how irate Timberwolf looks because Dawnstar's wing was apparently blocking him.

Edo Bosnar said...

Charlie, the Black Widow image is by Bill Everett.

Selenarch said...

I liked the pin-ups, but I don't think I ever dared to remove one and hang it. Being newsprint, it was bound to wear easily and yellow quickly, so I decided it was best to just leave it as is. That pin-up from Batman 181 must have very popular in 1966, though. I've seen more incomplete copies of that book than any other. Personally, I was always most sorely tempted by those FF Kirbys, though.

Garett said...

I don't know much about the Green Hornet, but I like the illustration here with the grey tone. Any idea who the artist is?

The double page Batman pinup by Infantino looks a lot like the painting on this Blue Ribbon digest: https://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/n_iv/600/1083195.jpg


Edo Bosnar said...

Garett, that Batman image is forever imprinted into my memory. It adorned the cover of a Batman Treasury edition, the first I ever had, and I snapped that digest right up when it came out.

Redartz said...

Killraven- Spider-man Annual 1 had loads of pinups and feature pages, including (I believe) the one you describe about his costume.

Edo- Garfield the Cat is hiding in that Legion image too, there my be others!

Selenarch- you're right, best to leave the pages in the book. That Batman issue was a bulk box purchase, was pleasantly surprised to find the centerfold intact.

Garett- wish I could help you on that Green Hornet image. Anyone out there have anything on it?

Mike Wilson said...

I always liked the villain pin-ups, like the Diablo one. Marvel Tales did a bunch of those spotlighting Spidey villains.

Dave Stevens did some cool pin-ups of Rocketeer (and Bettie Page ... va-va-va-voom!)

Killraven said...

That image of the Green Hornet was from the Gold Key series. Dan Spiegle did the art for the comic. Not 100% sure he did the b&w images. Sorta looks like it though.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Thanks Edo!

Does anyone else get a tiny "Don Heck" vibe from the Black Widow drawing? Maybe it's just the yellow "stars" indicating physical contact that remind me of Don's style? I don't have enough Everett experience with Bill's work but for his Sub Mariner drawings from around issue 50ish of Subby, reprints, and a gorgeous work fighting Torch in Steranko's History of Comics VOl 1.

Humanbelly said...

The Black Widow pin-up jumped right out at me as well-- my favorite of the lot. My heart gets a little more broken every time I unexpectedly come across a piece of art that I love, and then discover that it was done by the late Mr. Everett.

I'm going to admit that, while I happily surrender to the nostalgic vibe that the pin-ups give me, even as a kid they didn't enhance my comic book experience a heck of a lot. I was probably 6, even, when I was able to identify them as something that kind of filled up pages without much overall enjoyment. I've always been a story-driven kid (even the old kid I am now). Ones that happen in-story, though? Not really separate pin-ups, but big showcase images regardless-- since they were "in-story" I was able to surrender to them. Avengers #58, showing all of the previous Avengers who'd served; X-Men. . . 106, was it?. . . with the big sprawling image of the Shi'ar Imperial Legion of Sup. . . I mean Guard; Incredible Hulk #128 which, IIRC, gave us a one-page first-appearance of that new Avengers roster. . .

HB

Anonymous said...

My favourite pin-ups where those done by Jack Kirby. His style oozed power and grandeur, and the pin-up format really displayed them to the greatest effect. Whether it was the FF, the Eternals or Omac, the King's artwork was made for pin-ups!


- Mike 'until Ben Grimm gives us a pin-up of the Yancy Street Gang' from Trinidad & Tobago.

William said...

I used to remove the pin-ups from the reprint books like Marvel Tales, etc. and hang them up. I had a whole wall covered in them right next to my bed, and would lay there and stare them to cheer myself up.

Just one more thing I miss about the old comics. They just don't do fun stuff like that anymore. Don't know why.

Humanbelly said...

A couple of quick thoughts of explanation to your question there, William. . .

Things like for-real cut'em out pin-up pages became obsolete once comic books became potentially "collectible", I think. Heck, look how much grief the late-in-the-game Marvel Value Stamps gave us Bronze Agers when we would find cherished back-issues with the stamps cut out. PARTICULARLY if they were backed by a story page-! (Hulk #175-- I am resigned to the fact that I will never have that panel with Black Bolt in it. . . ).

Posters went HUGE by the late 60's/early 70's-- and beyond. If folks were putting comic pages on their wall for free-- maybe they'd pay $$ to put something bigger and nicer up there? Yup.

I do still think they carried a bit of a stigma about being "filler", y'know? I mean, I'd rather have a four-page Golden Age reprint as opposed to four pages of pin-ups, myself. There may have been an editorial decision to rely on them less as the readership got a bit older and more discerning?

For the last 10 years or more, the COVERS of all of the books have been little more than pin-up images anyhow. This is already overkill-- there's a limit to how much enjoyment one can get from a series of showcase images, yeah?

HB

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: