Sunday, March 26, 2017

Another BitBA Sunday!

Martinex1: It is the first day of the week and time for reviews, previews, and recommendations.   Please share your own related suggestions and insights in the comments.   Let's get started with a few of our favorite Sunday comic strips...


THIS PAST WEEK: We covered a wide array of topics over the past six days, including comic house ads, views of current culture from a Bronze perspective, our first comic purchases, covers with watery depictions, various 45s, and favorite ice cream concoctions.  This is definitely the age of diverse conversations!

JUST AROUND THE CORNER:  Redartz and I have plenty of topics in store for you, so get ready for posts about Jazzy Johnny Romita, comic convention preparation, early employment experiences, and much more.   And in April look for a review of the Canadian super-team Alpha Flight.

RECOMMENDATIONS: I recently said that I enjoyed the Netflix Marvel series.  And at the time I had only viewed a couple of the Iron Fist shows.  I've now completed the Iron Fist run, and though it was not horrible it also was the worst of the series and seasons thus far.   It had a lot of gaps in the storyline and quite a few motivations and revelations that really did not add up in retrospect.   The lead actor was okay, but was greatly outdone by some of the supporting characters and talent. The best episodes were the sixth and eighth which had some decent plot developments and fun action.  These high points included kung fu action with a few skilled killers and a "drunken master." I thought perhaps it was picking up some steam in the middle there, but it really went down hill toward the end.  Some villains were really complex and others were shallow and one-note. The actor that played Ward Meachum was quite good. Overall, it was interesting for me as a Marvel fan, but it was also understandable why it wasn't universally praised.  I only give Iron Fist 2.5 Bronze Medallions.  Daredevil and Jessica Jones were much better.  The bar is set relatively high with those. 

Enjoy your Sunday and let us know what you are thinking; the comment sections are always open!









9 comments:

Steve Does Comics said...

I've been a bit obsessed with old songs by Kirsty MacColl and her sometime partner in crime Billy Bragg lately, so I'll recommend them to any who don't know them.

MacColl songs like, "Terry," "Innocence," "Don't Come the Cowboy With Me, Sonny Jim," "They Don't Know," "Walking Down Madison," "There's a Guy Works Down the Chip Shop," and, "In These Shoes," are perfectly judged pieces of sardonic Pop.

Billy Bragg's love of words leaps out at you but his foghorn voice often disguises a serious facility for melody. I've been especially getting into, "Sexuality," "Levi Stubbs' Tears," "Greetings to the New Brunette," "Waiting For the Great Leap Forward," "A New England," and, "Between the Wars."

I suppose, to some degree, they were the male and female equivalent of each other, having roots in both Punk and Folk, being determined to plough their own furrow and being two of the best lyricists ever to come out of Britain.

Mike Wilson said...

I'm not all that familiar with Kirsty MacColl, but I like "Walking Down Madison", and "There's a Guy Works Down the Chip Shop..." is great (and hilarious). I also love her duet with Shane MacGowan on "Fairytale of New York" ... a great non-traditional Xmas song.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Hey Steve D.C. - Never heard of KM but I just gave a listen to "These SHoes" and "New England". Good stuff indeed!

I got to give another shout out to MeTV FM station 87.7 in Chicago land (and surely nation wide on other stations). Driving in the car this week I heard Beatles singing "Paperback Writer," Perry Como singing "It's Impossible", and just coming back from church 30 minutes ago, they were playing the Banana Splits Club TV Show theme song "Tra La La!" And "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg" was even in the mix this past week along with The Inkspots with "I don't want to set the world on fire!"

I mean, seriously, where can I have that much fun on the radio? It's great to be outside of my Pandora cocoons and just take in the variety of popular music from the last 75 years! Anyhow, Pandora seems to be hard on my phone battery, lol.

Graham said...

I've been watching Iron Fist for the past couple of weeks.....I'm about halfway through now. The problem I've had with all the Marvel series is that they should probably be ten episodes instead of thirteen. It's takes them sooooooooo long to even get started. I have to admit that I've nodded off a couple of times during Iron Fist with all the business meetings (something that's not hard for me to do in real life, too). So far, the Daredevil seasons have been the best by far. Jessica Jones was interesting.....I knew nothing about her character, but liked Killraven, but a bit too long. Luke Cage was good....I really liked MIke Colter....but it was almost too long, too.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Graham - you highly recommend Dispatches From Pluto?

Anonymous said...

You know, when you find a gecko that special, you don't want to eat him all at once.

M.P.

pfgavigan said...

Hiya,

Beetle did (or didn't do) all of that and Sarge didn't beat him to a pulp?

Times have changed.

Having never seen any of the Netflix/Marvel series I can't really say anything about them. Still, for those who have I can certainly get why the bar is set at a higher level. However, I am amused at the claims that Marvel 'white washed' Iron Fist by having a Western Caucasian actor play a Western Caucasian character.

The cynical side of me is whispering that those who are doing the most b*tch*ng have never read an issue of the comic and are merely taking advantage of the property to get their names on the internet.

Seeya,

pfgavigan

Graham said...

CH47, I do highly recommend Dispatches From Pluto. It's about life in the Mississippi Delta from a unique perspective. The author had a pretty spot-on assessment about a lot of everyday life. I think he learned a lot about southerners that surprised him and I learned a lot, too.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

cool! thanks!

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: