Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Animation Congregation: The Flintstones- First Family of Animation!

 


Redartz:  Way back in 1960, a show debuted on ABC that would change the rules of tv animation forever. That show was "The Flintstones"; the first prime time animated series on US television. As such, it paved the way for such shows as the Simpsons, many years later. The Flintstones, from the fine folks at Hanna Barbera,  ran on ABC for six seasons; after which it became a familiar staple of Saturday mornings for the next several decades. Watching Fred, Wilma, Barney and Betty is one of the earliest tv memories I have; as that show was one of the few evening shows that little Redartz was allowed to watch (having debuted the same year the Flintstones did; purely coincidentally). 

Of course, most of my Flintstone viewing was done on weekdays after school: the show was syndicated, and shown for years every afternoon. The Flintstones and Rubbles became as familiar as my own family, and it was always a treat to watch; even when viewing an episode rerun for the sixth time. And of course the show's iconic theme song is burned into the memory of every kid and former kid from the last five decades! Speaking of that theme, we saw it in all it's glory up above. But the closing theme was replaced for awhile by this charming bit with Pebbles and Bamm Bamm; you may remember it...

 

 By the way, Pebbles and Bamm Bamm had a show of their own, originating in our own Bronze age circa 1971.  It  was just the first  in a long line of Flintstones-based shows, movies and specials...


 One of the many appealing features of "The Flintstones" was the preponderance of guest stars who made appearances on the show. I have particularly fond memories of  "Ann Margrock"...

 

  

 

 Then there was Stoney Curtis...

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 And even Elizabeth Montgomery and Dick York doing their magic from "Bewitched"...


 

 

 Those are but a few. No doubt you all can name some other favorite cameos. As with the Batman show a couple years later, the Flintstones'  popularity seemed to attract others who 'wanted to get in on the act'.

Indeed, the Flintstones truly became a pop culture monolith; tie-ins and promotions were popping up everywhere and continue to this day. How many of us had Flintstone lunchboxes, played with Flintstone colorforms, or took Flintstone vitamins? And then there was "Pebbles Cereal". It was a favorite at our house, and you can still pick up a box yet today on the shelf at your local supermarket. Interesting fun fact: some of you may remember Post (the manufacturer of "Pebbles" cereal) years ago had a cereal called "Rice Krinkles". Kind of like Rice Krispies, but sweetened; they vanished from the shelves in the mid to late 60's. Apparently they were re-branded into "Pebbles" at the request of the folks at Post. Oh, and Cocoa Pebbles are my choice, although the Fruity ones are good too.


 
 
And  how could we fail to mention the Flintstones' countless appearances in print? It's testimony to the show's ongoing popularity and influence that every major comic book publisher in the United States has published the characters at one time or another. Dell, Gold Key, Charlton, Marvel, Archie, Harvey and DC all have had a turn presenting the adventures of the Stone Age icons. I'd draw your attention to DC specifically, having had some fun with "The Flintstones and the Jetsons", and featuring Fred and friends in "Scooby Doo Team-Up". Here's a gallery of Flintstone comics, old and new, including examples from each of those afore-mentioned publishers. 


    

 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 
 


 

Finally, lest you think that "The Flintstones" is just a part of television's past. there is word of a new series coming on Fox called "Bedrock". Apparently twenty years later than the events from the original series, it will give us Fred approaching retirement age and Pebbles as a young adult. Will it be worth watching? Only time will tell, but it just goes to show you that you can't keep a good caveman down..

Oh, one more bit of vintage- here's the Screen Gems tag that followed the ending credits for the Flintstones.  It all comes back to you...





22 comments:

Edo Bosnar said...

Love the Flintstones. Can't even say how many times I watched every single episode from about kindergarten age until my early teens (probably the same number of times as every single episode of the Brady Bunch).
Haven't consumed much of the other stuff, though. I only occasionally watched the Pebbles and Bamm Bamm Saturday morning cartoon, and have very few memories of it (except for Pebbles saying 'Yabba Dabba Doozie'). And of course, I saw the movie from the 1990s, but I think the best part of it was just seeing the Bedrock set and props in real life, rather than the actual story.
I think I had a few of the comics when Marvel had the license, but I similarly can't recall much about them. However, a few years ago I read about the only thing you didn't mention: the re-imagined DC series written by Mark Russell and drawn by Steve Pugh, which is really quite good.

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Red!

Awesome topic for summer's day!

Just curious...

In your research did it state that Flintstones were based on The Honeymooners? I've heard that and it seems obvious enough, but just curious if it's legit?

Also, I remember the green alien... Gazoo? He seemed to appear in several shows, maybe even over several seasons? Did you come across anything as to why he was introduced?

Like you, probably like all of us, I still love me a good Flintstones on the rerun channels and it's really weird how compelling it is to watch even 50 years later! It just immediately draws me in!

Great review! More comments later!

Colin Jones said...

I'm very familiar with the Flintstones cartoon but not the merchandising - I've never seen any Flintstones breakfast cereals or vitamins! And I've never seen the Pebbles & Bamm Bamm cartoon either - in fact, I'd never even heard of it till today.

Anonymous said...

Charlie, you're into the Flintstones?
That comes as a bit of a surprise - weren't you down on Devil Dinosaur because he was red?
Dino is purple!

-sean

dangermash aka The Artistic Actuary said...

Nobody's mentioned this ad yet. You can't talk about the Flintstones and not mention this!
https://youtu.be/BVRO6GAfvzA

Oh, and back in the 90s there were those that called me Fred because of the two tone face I would develop in the afternoon as the facial hair started coming back.

Mike Wilson said...

Here in Saskatchewan, the Flintstones used to be broadcast at noon, so I watched it constantly for years, seeing every episode multiple times; it was actually rather controversial (locally) when they stopped airing the Flintstones and expanded the local news to one hour.

And yes, I took the vitamins when I was a kid, but there were never enough Dinos included in the bottle!

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Sean - big difference!

Flinstones was just a cartoon! How can a cartoon be over the top?

Comic books... totally different. I've never read of anything more implausible than a red dinosaur.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean you've never read of anything more implausible Charlie? You replied to the French prog top 5!

-sean

Killraven said...

I can practically taste those vitamins now!
Kind of like fruity mixed with chalk.

The celebs that first come to mind are Rock Quary (Rock Hudson) and Gary Granite (Cary Grant). I watched so much of them as a kid I actually burned myself out on the original show, haven't watched a single episode in probably 40 years.
I did watch Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm on Saturday mornings. Still use a Schleprock reference every now and again when appropriate, though most don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

v mark said...

I remember Pebbles and Bamm Bamm getting all excited about Mick Jadestone and the Rolling Boulders coming to town.

Redartz said...

Edo- oh man, forgot about "Yabba Dabba Doozie"! I watched P&BB, but it's been soooooo long, can't recall much about it. And thanks for bringing up the DC update version. It was enjoyable!

Charlie- while researching this post, it came up that "The Great Gazoo" (voiced, of course, by the wonderful Harvey Korman) only appeared in the 6th and final season. It seemed like he appeared earlier and more frequently...

Dangermash- thanks for the link! Good call; it's rather disconcerting now to see Fred and Barney puffing away on Winston's!

Killraven and V mark- your references to "Pebbles and Bamm Bamm" , along with Edo's comment, reinforce the need for me to hunt it down on YouTube for further research. Shleprock; forgot about him too...

Charlie Horse 47 said...

Red - thanks for that on Gazoo!

I too would have thought he appeared earlier in the series and more often than one season.

That said, I doubt I ever saw the show originally released and only saw it in syndication on the mighty WGN TV out of Chicago. I think it was after school M-Fri.

What's funny about that Winston Commercial is first they are smoking but second they are watching their wives mow the lawns in that heat. Dare I say, "what a hoot!"

Edo Bosnar said...

Killraven, re: Rock Quarry. I think that's my favorite of the 'real-life' celeb cameos in the Flintstones. I don't know why, but I always found that one - in which he pretends to be a normal guy and starts hanging around Fred and Barney - particularly amusing.

Anonymous said...

Rice Krinkles were the best! Fruity Pebbles were yummy back in the day but last time I had some a few years ago, they tasted awful, very ‘artificial’, chemical-y. Cocoa Pebbles still good. But I can only indulge once in a (LONG) while.

b.t.

Humanbelly said...

"There's a little town,
And it goes by the name of-
BEDROCK!
TWIST! TWIST!"

"Here we come
On the run,
With a burger on a bun. . . !"

Hoyt Curtin's main theme for the show is deeply ingrained into our subconscious that it takes an effort to listen to it with fresh ears, and recognize what an absolutely SLAMMIN' composition, arrangement, and performance it is-- especially given how inane most of H/B's themesong tunes could be. (JONNY QUEST is another extraordinary masterpiece--).

I do indeed remember it being a primetime show when I was a wee tykester.

Even when I was a kid I noticed that Barney's voice (mostly Mel Blanc) wasn't always consistent early on-- took a bit to settle into the final form. And Dawes Butler, I believe, covered a few episodes after Mel had a horrific car accident. He then recorded from a hospital bed. While in traction.

What's funny with Alan Reed (Fred) is to hear him earlier in his career as an A-list classic radio performer. Esp as Pasquale in "Life With Luigi"-- he's always brilliant, but he's got one of those voices that can't be fully disguised. . . and I ALWAYS hear Fred Flintstone in there. . . ha!

There were one or two "feature length" animated films too, weren't there? They would pop up sometimes on our local afternoon-weekend-movie slot on tv, when ad rates were cheap. . .

Nice topic!

HB

Redartz said...

HB- that unfortunate accident that Mel Blanc suffered through apparantly took place at the notorious location immortalized in Jan and Dean's tune "Dead Man's Curve". Another bit of useless trivia to ponder.
And the feature films you mentioned- I recall " A Man Called Flintstone ", which put Fred and Barney into the espionage world of James Bond (James Bondrock?). Pretty enjoyable, if memory serves. Should look that up...

Anonymous said...

My brothers and I had a Flintstones record album which we listened to more than a few times — THE FLINTSTONES AND JOSE’ JIMENEZ IN THE TIME MACHINE. Starring Bill Dana (of course) as Jose’ and Henry Corden and Daws Butler as Fred and Barney.

Yes, kids, incredible as it sounds, back the Olden Days before YouTube and Streaming, before DVDs and VHS tapes even, we were so starved for entertainment that we would actually listen to AUDIO ONLY stories of our favorite cartoon shows, even if the main characters didn’t sound exactly as they did on TV.

While the record played, we would stare at the album sleeve — I’m sure all my fellow ‘Old-Timers’ are familiar with this sacred ritual. On the back were tiny thumbnails of other HB story LPs that were incredibly intriguing. I think there was a Secret Squirrel one than leaned heavily into 007 Parody territory, and the Jonny Quest cover art looked exciting as hell — Race Bannon fighting an octopus underwater.

I’m off to YouTube to see if anyone has downloaded any of these gems….

b.t.

Anonymous said...

One of these days I’ll learn to do my Google research BEFORE posting….

Fact check:

The 007 parody album I was thinking of actually featured Super Snooper and Blabbermouse, not Secret Squirrel. If you want a dazzling dopamine hit, do a Google image search for ‘James Bomb starring Super Snooper’ and prepare to be gob-smacked by the brilliant album cover art by Animation Legends Iwao Takamoto and Paul Julian.

b.t.

Redartz said...

B.t.- you're right, that is an amazing cover! As is the JQ cover. Searching for which led to the discovery of a Jonny Quest Soundtrack cd, released 5 years ag in a limited pressing. Pretty pricey, but I'm seriously considering it...

Edo Bosnar said...

Red, I think you're mixing up "The Man Called Flintstone" with that one episode of the regular series in which the Bond movies were also spoofed - where Fred and Barney are big fans of a TV spy called 'Jay Bondrock'. That, by the way, is another one of my personal favorites, with the alluring Madame Yes and Fred and Barney getting out of every scrape with henchmen by the doing the "judo chop-chop."
As for the aforementioned movie, I've heard of it but never seen it, which is one of my big regrets. It just never seemed to come on any of the local channels when I was growing up.

Redartz said...

Edo- Quite so, you're right- "Bondrock" and the Judo chops were from a regular season episode. Mea culpa. In my defense, the movie also was a Bond parody; and waaaay too many years have passed since I watched it!

Humanbelly said...

The main thing I remember from the movie (I think it had the cast traveling to/through. . . Europe? Or around the world?) is Fred singing a love song to Wilma whilst wearing a rather ridiculous costume....

HB

You Might Also Like --

Here are some related posts: